Knife Steel for Choppers

Does anyone have recomendations for somewhere that I could find steel for making some big choppers. I need like flat plate steel not steel for forging. I've found some steel but it's all like 2" wide. With the size and curves that I would like to try I need something bigger. I just need a basic beginners steel.

Use 12345678910's link and look up some 1084 or 1080 steel it is an amazing steel to work with it is probably the most widely used and in my opinion near the top of the list of steels for me. Very easy to heat treat also. Have fun!

Any high carbon steel in with carbon between .5% and .8% would be ideal. NJ steel baron sells bar stock of 5160, which would be perfect for a chopper. It is very tough and slightly better at fending off rust than simpler steels.

There are a lot of good alloys for big, tough choppers. You need to narrow down your parameters before anyone can answer intelligently... though for "basic beginner's steel" (whatever that means to you - I'm just guessing), 1084 is always a good choice.

What's important to you? Corrosion resistance? Edge-holding? Cost? Ease of heat-treat? Super-high toughness? Thick edge or thin? Marketing appeal?

Having said all that, Aldo is my go-to guy for odd/large sizes and just about any alloy you can think of. Chuck's been good to me, too. Call them. If they can't get it, it probably can't be got.

All the choices previously listed are excellent, my personal favorite steel for choppers is S7. CPM-3V is incredible also. 1084 on a budget but it is top notch as well.

Is this a project you plan on sending off for heat treating? If not, the 1084 or 1075 steels are easy to heat treat. If so, you can get a bit wilder with it. S7 is a great steel with excellent toughness. L6 and 5160 are also great choices. But honestly, just get the best stuff that keeps you under budget in the size you need. I like 5160 a lot, though. Its brutally tough stuff but lacks the wear resistance of 52100, CPM 3V, etc...

Good luck.

Back