Knife Storage?

c6bff95228e69e84872f3f64d6fd5292.jpg
pelican 1300

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Years ago I did the same (silicone treated "socks") and stored some of my nicer fixed blades in them. Worked just fine, but you still have to place them into something else inside the socks. At first they were stored with my guns, then later in their own storage space/compartments inside the sock.

Why would you need to place them in something else as well?

I love the Spyderpak! I took out the wooden dowel rod to make it flexible and easier to sling over my shoulder and carry. Also put squares of fabric adhesive velcro on the pockets with smaller knives to keep them from sliding out if I, say, have the bag open next to me on the sofa because I'm sharpening or oiling or switching out the EDC of the day while watching tv (or just oogling the collection if I'm being honest) and the dog jumps up onto the sofa and the bag slides off sideways and ends up upside down on the floor, just to, um, pick a totally random and hypothetical situation in which the pockets may not be quite secure enough.

I use this for the non-Spydercos:

With the spill over in a generic bag with slots along each side and in the middle, plus it has room on the inside for the Sharpmaker and other odds and ends:

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixed blade knife storage? Preferably something portable, comparable to the Spyderpak?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPod

Those bags are wonderful for folders and gear, for sure. nice to see someone else using them!

CAM03233_zpsrgqfujkl.jpg

CAM03232_zps2w4ap6wh.jpg

As far as fixed blade storage, I use some big plastic buckles/boxes that can be carried around with the handle they have. Sure, not easy to carry on your person, but very nice to move from a room to another or around the house

IMG_20160328_085958_276_zpshbrytqiw.jpg

IMG_20160328_085654_253_zpsctqpi8nk.jpg

Why would you need to place them in something else as well?

I guess technically you don't, but if you are "storing" knives, you generally want to protect them and having a pile of knife "socks" lying on some dresser is not my idea of storage. Hence you place them in something or at least I do. For years, mine just resided in a moving box full of other man junk.

I guess technically you don't, but if you are "storing" knives, you generally want to protect them and having a pile of knife "socks" lying on some dresser is not my idea of storage. Hence you place them in something or at least I do. For years, mine just resided in a moving box full of other man junk.

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant. Besides since at this point I only have the 4 with 2 on the way wth no plans to exceed 10 it's a suitable solution for me.

I store my pocket knives knives in cigar boxes I put in an end table. I store my fixed blades and sheaths in the bottom drawer of a dresser.

Still using this:

drawer01.jpg

It was on sale at a local hardware store for $20. Each of the small drawers is roughly 5.25"x2" which is enough room for a single large sized folder or a few smaller folders standing folded spine up. The larger drawers are handy for miscellaneous items and over-sized knives; the bottom one is where my Ti-Lite 6" lives quite comfortably...

It doesn't look too fancy but it works pretty well, imo.

-Brett

Those bags are wonderful for folders and gear, for sure. nice to see someone else using them!

CAM03233_zpsrgqfujkl.jpg

CAM03232_zps2w4ap6wh.jpg

As far as fixed blade storage, I use some big plastic buckles/boxes that can be carried around with the handle they have. Sure, not easy to carry on your person, but very nice to move from a room to another or around the house

IMG_20160328_085958_276_zpshbrytqiw.jpg

IMG_20160328_085654_253_zpsctqpi8nk.jpg

Those packs meant for usb drives and cables are a great size and super useful. I have another one on the way to me now since that one's getting overly full. (Toooo many SAKs.)

Thank you for the bucket idea. I don't have nearly that many fixed blades and my longest is only 10" overall but I'll file that away for potential future use.

After I saw this thread on wednesday and that link to the 3 drawer acrylic case on Amazon, I decided to order it. It's the perfect size to fit in my cube bookshelf to stack. Just realized it would work great for my pen and smaller flashlight collection.

Also, picked up a seahorse se300 to store my folders in- I mostly have small folders so its perfect to fit a ton of them into and slip the case under the bed or nightstand.

Hey guys,

How do you store your knives / pocket knives? I was possibly looking at getting a display case or something but I wasn't sure if there were better ways to handle it.

the good ole sock drawer has been a trusty place to keep goods in for many moons:thumbup: their aint much nothing you cant hide in a sock drawer!

Most of mine are in an old wooden machinists toolbox (yeesh, I need a better photo)

Vae8OZh.jpg

This is a very nice set up! I really like the look of this old box. Reminds me of growing up, my grandfather had plenty of quality tools stashed in wooden boxes throughout his barn and shop.

The traditional folders look right at home in this type of setup. Looks like you have some really nice knives!

I built a small shelf by my back door, I have relatively few knives, so it works well for now. Works well to grab knives on the way out, and unload when I get home.

It's nice to be able to see them instead of being down in the basement where they used to live. Easy to do a quick count and make sure that they're all there.

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant. Besides since at this point I only have the 4 with 2 on the way wth no plans to exceed 10 it's a suitable solution for me.

Dddrees this made me laugh a little. About 5 years ago I was in the same boat. Had a handful of knives and figured 10 would give me more than enough variety. But it seemed like there was always just 1 or 2 or 3 more knives that I wanted and I would be content. I assume that was a couple hundred knives ago. Did lots of buying and selling over the last few years and now have the collection down to about 70. Good luck! ..and enjoy!

I sometimes yearn for the days when I owned just a couple knives and was totally satisfied. Now I own a lot more and am never satisfied. Think I have purchased 14 new knives this year so far. Most were less than $100.

I have a very small collection.I use a plastic handgun storage box for my users and the others are in my gun safe.

Dddrees this made me laugh a little. About 5 years ago I was in the same boat. Had a handful of knives and figured 10 would give me more than enough variety. But it seemed like there was always just 1 or 2 or 3 more knives that I wanted and I would be content. I assume that was a couple hundred knives ago. Did lots of buying and selling over the last few years and now have the collection down to about 70. Good luck! ..and enjoy!

I understand and somtime you really should ask me about watches, shoes, and my latest which are guns. To be honest there's no way to tell for sure but with all the various interests at this point I'm trying to narrow it down to getting just a few great examples of each.

What does everyone do with their boxes? My collection is relatively small but I have been just keeping them in their boxes in a big cardboard box stacked up. It does make it a pain when I want to pull one out.

Back