1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Knife Use

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by JA5544, Jun 15, 2019.

1. JA5544

JA5544

Apr 1, 2016
    After seeing a lot of you guy’s gorgeous pictures of your knives it got me to wondering. I feel like I don’t see a lot of knives with much patina or wear, except on the older knives. What I am curious about is do most people just take care of their knives better than I do, or are they just not getting used as much? Maybe a lot of knives I’m seeing are bought just to have, but not with any real intention of using them much. Just to be clear, I am not judging either way. I have hobbies myself where I like to just collect things. I just haven’t got to that point with knives. Every knife I purchase is destined to be a user. So what do you guys think?

2. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I buy knives that catch my fancy and picking one to use is like grabbing a vegetable or fruit out of a garden. My excitement stems from looking at the collection and peaks from knowing I have the right tool for the job. Have I used _every_ knife I own? Nah, not yet...Not Yet. What fun it will be when I do??!!

3. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    If I think enough of it to buy it, then I'm using the ever lovin dog poo out of it. If it doesn't work out to my satisfaction, then it goes bye-bye.

4. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    7175A198-6B50-4F26-A804-F2080E4B6AB8.jpeg 10C59585-C1ED-4226-8B02-2D0D29728A1A.jpeg E7CC0780-0A57-45FE-9756-6E0BD3B2509D.jpeg 723AE6C9-6890-429D-80A5-6289BD5D9677.jpeg

I know a lot of people just rotate through a bunch of their knives so they all get used but since their using a new one everyday it may not look like it. Also some people carry a beater knife and a non beater. I however find I’m just really hard on all my stuff and recently haven’t been rotating as much. So it don’t take long for my stuff to look like above.

5. JA5544

JA5544

Apr 1, 2016
    ^ that is what most of my stuff looks like

ty_higg likes this.
  6. Jeff_R

Jeff_R

Aug 12, 2015
    I carry and use some knives more than others, but all get used. To me knives are more than anything tools meant to be used, and it's in their use that fulfills their purpose. Even my fanciest custom knives get duty cutting rope or fixing lunch.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  7. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Not all my knives get used equally. But those that do, show it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Same here. I buy knives to use. Like my watches and firearms. Different functions suit a particular purpose. I try (though don’t always succeed) to not have redundancies.

On the other hand, I respect people who collect things as objects of art. It’s their prerogative to spend their money as they wish.

9. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I can't afford "safe queens" ... and I don't own or have access to a safe ...
    If I buy a knife it is to use. I may not have a specific particular use for it in mind (example: when I get a duplicate of a pattern I already have and use regularly, like a Canoe, Stockman, and Barlow)

10. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Every knife I buy is bought to use. The key word in the poll question is “much”. I have to be realistic. With the number of knives I own, few of them can get used much.

11. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I only have a couple non-users, oddly both are Case. I did answer no the poll, but that's not 100% accurate. I have a 5 blade Case medium stockman that I got a smoking deal on. It didn't come in a box but it has never been used. I did buy it just to have, mostly because of the novelty of it, and I got such a good deal. I have other stockman knives to use, the additional pen and awl doesn't add that much to the usefulness of it really. Plus I have a 5 blade Parker sowbelly user that scratches that itch lol. The other is a Kentucky commemorative sodbuster, and that one I just dont want to mess up the colored blade etch. But I got it in a package deal,so I didn't buy it specifically not to use;)

12. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Everything I buy gets used. Hot wheels get opened. Cars get driven. I believe in enjoying things what they are meant for. I won't abuse them, but I do use them.

13. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Some I just keep to admire. Some I use and admire. Others go on sale. I usually keep my users in clean and polished condition. Not a fan of patina.

14. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    That’s the reason I answered “yes” to the poll. I don’t own any knives that I *won’t* use, but any knife I buy is unlikely to see much use.

Misplaced Hillbilly and Shurke like this.
  15. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I'll admit it, yes.

16. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    i buy knives to use, to collect, and as gifts.

i have a few that are just so nice........ they are more like works of art and hard to choose when its time to slice an orange.
    BF6EA7EE-A8EB-47A0-8F3F-7633AB04170E.jpeg

17. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Wow. That is a beauty!

Elgatodeacero likes this.
  18. FSU1992

FSU1992

Feb 23, 2014
    The guns I own, I shoot. The knives I own I use. If I feel I can’t use them I sell them.

19. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    A lot of my knives don’t get used for fresh goods, so most of them likely won’t cut something that will patina them, though I may get peppering or light patina spots from carrying them all day in my pocket. I’m not adverse to patina at all, I just don’t force ‘em. I let them occur naturally so some just take a while.

20. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    My intention ALWAYS is to use the knife I buy. :confused: REALLY! The truth is though some knives just are too nice in hand and so I may use them lightly for a while - for the experience - but then move them on through the exchange. You can see from my sig line that I encounter some ambivalence. o_O

Still, some very fine customs are definitely users and keepers. I am approaching my end of knife buying days :rolleyes: but there will be a core group of 6 to 8 knives that will stay with me to the end. Someday I'll create a thread on those. ;)

Here a few user/keepers ->

Smoke-Stack-.jpg

JH-in-leaves-.jpg

HT-Puukko-in-hand.jpg

Best laid plans ... :D

Ray

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019