Knife with Dedicated Edges

All,

What are your opinions of knives with specific edges designed for specific tasks?

I am thinking initially of the Tom Brown Tracker and Tracker-inspired knives with one portion for chopping and another for fine work or other tasks.

I think the same can be said for some recurved designs where one part may be the "sweet spot" for chopping while the portion of the blade closer to the handle can be used for detailed work.

Is this type of dividing up the blade necessary or an answer to a problem that doesn't exist?

-Stan

IMO, when you try to reinvent the wheel it just doesn't doing any one thing good. A simple straight edge has always worked best for me. Same goes for combo edges that are plain/serrated. I would rather have one or the other on the entire edge. Sawbacks on a knife IMO are useless.
Scott

Turley Knives have what he calls a reverse convex grind for his larger knives (8"+). It has a thicker convex grind toward the tip for stronger edge for chopping and a higher grind nearer the handle for better cutting. The grind has a continuous change across the edge rather than two distinct grinds. I don't have a knife like this but seems interesting and a challenge to make.

Scroll down to see #4 Missouri River Model.

http://www.turleyknives.com/apps/blog/

Back