Knife you're embarrased to own or admit purchasing?

I once traded a Shaman I had modified for three Tenaciouses, and I'm not embarrassed in the least. One of them I sold, one I gave away, and the one I still have is one that is not otherwise available in Canada (the blue G10 scale version). And for me, it is a far better knife than the Shaman ever was, for the two simple facts that it doesn't feel "squirty" or insecure in my hand, and I can get my hand all the way to the cutting edge for maximum cutting leverage.

I must not have looked hard enough. Interesting, but I'll likely pass. Not for any reason other than I just don't want/need one this small. I got the Naithawk before delving into the ones that use the regular utility blades. I knew it'd be small, but I didn't realize just how small until I had it in my hand. I still like it - I might put it on my keychain or put it in the kit I'm putting together to keep in my backpack. But it's not what I want/need for box cutting at work.

I took a pass on this one (glad I did now). I'm not fond of snap-off blades, and I couldn't find any pictures that showed the other side. I assume the button twists to tighten/loosen, and that just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm also unaware of any other like this one.

I'm sure you're aware of the multitude of tools out there, both sliding and folding, that use the Olfa 34B craft blade. I'm still tempted to get one myself, but the urge is tempered when I use it to cut boxes (I have the basic Olfa one that cost $8) - it works fine but for box cutting it's inferior to simply using standard utility blades. Still, the idea intrigues me; a more substantial disposable utility knife for "dirty" work.

I'm embarased to admit how much I want one of these:

View attachment 1582429

But at nearly $200 plus the risk of Customs seizing it...
The snap blade is a push button like the naithawk. It's just the button tolerance is really loose and crunchy.

Olfa released not too long ago released the "outdoor" version that is slightly thicker blade and a couple of other features that intrigues me:
knife01_photo01.jpg

I once traded a Shaman I had modified for three Tenaciouses, and I'm not embarrassed in the least. One of them I sold, one I gave away, and the one I still have is one that is not otherwise available in Canada (the blue G10 scale version). And for me, it is a far better knife than the Shaman ever was, for the two simple facts that it doesn't feel "squirty" or insecure in my hand, and I can get my hand all the way to the cutting edge for maximum cutting leverage.
I plan on getting the S35VN version
The weakness has been the steel and not made in a country that is being ruled by a supervillain and goon squad. I would be happy if they move the manufacture to Vietnam or India etcetera

Let me start by saying I did not buy this knife, instead it was gifted to me as I am "into knives" by a friend when a renter left it in his place when they moved out.
CjZaDfE.jpg

I have it in a bucket with garden tools, and have used it to pry plants out of pots. I am surprised it has not broken yet as I have stood on it to pry up a few large rootbound plants, expecting it to break. It has no edge and I never even attempted to put one on.

Not half bad looking for a glorified garden trowel.

I plan on getting the S35VN version
The weakness has been the steel and not made in a country that is being ruled by a supervillain and goon squad. I would be happy if they move the manufacture to Vietnam or India etcetera

Please don't attribute my comment to politics, that is not my intention: Sal has made some compelling points about how he has met and built relationships with the people who operate the factories, and trust them with his business; it's not their fault who runs the country they were born in.

Also, I quite like 8Cr because it's very tough. So I regrind all my Tenaciouses and Resiliences nice and thin, and they perform well for me.

Ah yes. That knife. I got the top two, and was pretty new to this stuff at the time as well. Ergonomic nightmares, those knives. Mine looked a little different from this pic. I don't have them any more though.

At least those look a bit more functional. I'd feel bad offloading mine for money because well... It's handle is too thin/small to be of use for anything tactical, it's blade profile is just not very advantageous, even in "combat", outside of maybe a sharpened prybar or flathead screwdriver. There is a reason KaBar has been the standard for years. Idk, I keep in a glass case near some other stuff.

Sorry, It is not politics, but universal humanity. The people of China deserve to be as free as you and me. I am angry that a billion people are being held back by evil power and not being able to have the opportunity to live their lives to the fullest in a way that they chose. I don’t hate the Chinese, I love people having freedom. I will watch my words and be more clear in the future. I get that this is a knife forum and we don’t want to think about politics.

No worries, I was only speaking for myself. :thumbsup: Just be aware that some might take issue with it being brought up in the general forum. There is a political arena accessible by paid members where such discussions are actively encouraged.

I like the small crater on my finger made by the Shaman's small testicle.

In my defence, my first one was back when they were 180 or something...

None; I have no need to buy a knife im ashamed of, and i wouldnt get one for anyone else id be ashamed of either.

Following this thread made me realize, it's not the cheapo knives that give me pause (in fact some of them are cool!).
It's the expensive blades that shame me.
BF folks are the only ones who understand; everyone else gives me funny looks when I tell them this knife cost mid/high three digits.
I must out of my mind!
I don't even talk about the knives in low four digit land; don't even take em out of my pocket.
Same look when I tell them how much my bicycle cost.

None; I have no need to buy a knife im ashamed of, and i wouldnt get one for anyone else id be ashamed of either.

That's good, but I think the reason for some of us is that we have learned a thing or two since certain purchases, rather than that we got something we thought was shameful on purpose.

Heh, that's pretty much where I'm at with my rather large fixed blade collection in total, really. I can't think of the number of times it's been where I bought a new fixed blade, thinking about all the adventures I was going to have with it on camping trips or working in the yard, only to find that ten times outta ten, whenever I was actually camping or working in the yard, whatever folding knife I had on me at the time did everything I needed just fine. Oye.
And there's me, I just don't use folders.

Even when I had my Voyager I just used it twice, it got all dirty as I used it to cut food and I just stopped using it completely as I had no idea how to get that filth out of it and out of it's lock mechanism...

Viper Berus 1 is my favourite EDC.
Small, disappears in my pocket, comfortable handle, nice blade geometry and stainless with plenty of edge retention.

Back