1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Knifemaker challenge

Discussion in 'Turley Knives' started by tonym, Sep 14, 2010.

1. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    Iz, I'm stoked that you decided to enter bro! I have been eyeballing your blades for awhile now, and now I am going to get a chance to sample 1:thumbup:

Are you going to create a new model or go with one in your current line up?
    I understand if you don't want to answer just yet.

2. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Tony,
    I appreciate the kind words, brother. And I appreciate you guys allowing me to be part of the contest, it's gonna be fun.
    Yeah, I'm gonna come up with a new model for this one, I think that will be part of the fun.
    If it makes it back in one piece then I'll put it up here as a give away.:thumbup:

Thanks for the opportunity, brother. You rock!
    Iz

3. skab8541

skab8541

Dec 6, 2006
    Awesome bro! Will be tuning in to watch this one!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  4. jcl-MD

jcl-MD

Aug 30, 2008
    Very Cool Iz!!
    I can't weight to see what you come up with

5. quietmike

quietmike Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Sweet! Should be a great showdown.

6. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Can't wait to see what ya come up with, can ya at least tell us what the grind will be, variable convexed ?

7. grindonyou

grindonyou

Sep 21, 2006
    Sounds like good times , Competition makes everyone better , I look forward to seeing the new model .

8. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Very cool. Hope you didn't mind me tossing out your name, Iz. I haven't even held one from you yet, but I am already impressed. Terry's word is pretty strong with me and the things he has done with the Soldier River are sooooo freakin cool. looking forward to the new design.

9. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman

Sep 21, 2009
    I got faith in my horse in this race. Can't wait to see the new design.

10. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    You bet, brother. It'll be a varied convex for sure, for me and what I do that grind is perfect for a woodsman's knife.:thumbup:

Not at all, brother I appreciate it. Terry puts 'em through the grinder fo' sho'.;)

Thanks, my brutha! I hope I make a good show of it.

Thanks everyone for your super kind words, this should be fun at the very least.
    Iz
    p.s. Be sure to stay tuned after it's all done I'll give the knife away on this forum. If it ain't broke.:D

11. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    I'm to excited about this not to share it with you guys so here goes.
    This is what I came up with. I've been wanting to try a longer bladed Gasconade for a while so that's what this is based on.
    This is it compared with the sr on top and the gasconade on bottom.
    [​IMG]

It has a little slimmer tip than the gasconade, a little longer blade and if it'll have a steel or nickel silver pommel to reinforce the handle material. Along with some people (Terry) I tend to beat on the pommel of a knife so I'm hoping the pommel will help reinforce things a little.
    It's also got a more pronounced swell in the handle than the Gasconade. It's the same size swell but it looks bigger because the curves in front and back of it are deeper for a little more secure grip and a kind of small guard in front.

Pattern in hand.
    [​IMG]
    It'll have micarta or g10 scales of course.

So yeah, it's pretty basic but in my experience the best tools usually are.

Let me know what you think.
    Iz

12. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    That's a great design, I can't wait to see the finished blade !:thumbup:

13. jcl-MD

jcl-MD

Aug 30, 2008
    This is going to be very COOOOOOL!!!

14. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Yep. Looks great. I'll take it. Hehehe, as if it was that easy!!

15. Snow

Snow

Jun 3, 2001
    Put me on the wait list. I can tell I'm gonna need one.

16. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman

Sep 21, 2009
    I think that design has a lot of potential. I think it would look awesome with OD green micarta scales.

17. Gossman Knives

Gossman Knives Edged Toolmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 9, 2004
    Great looking design Iz. :thumbup:
    Scott

18. Snow

Snow

Jun 3, 2001
    Of course you do. :D

19. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    *sigh*
    I'm begining to think you got stock in the od micarta company.

;)

Thanks, guys. I hope it turns out good. I cut one out of 5/32" stock today. I'll finish it and use it as a test knife for me. Then the contest knife will be 3/16".
    Iz

20. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Looks great Iz......