Knifemaker challenge

Iz, I'm stoked that you decided to enter bro! I have been eyeballing your blades for awhile now, and now I am going to get a chance to sample 1:thumbup:

Are you going to create a new model or go with one in your current line up?
I understand if you don't want to answer just yet.

Tony,
I appreciate the kind words, brother. And I appreciate you guys allowing me to be part of the contest, it's gonna be fun.
Yeah, I'm gonna come up with a new model for this one, I think that will be part of the fun.
If it makes it back in one piece then I'll put it up here as a give away.:thumbup:

Thanks for the opportunity, brother. You rock!
Iz

Can't wait to see what ya come up with, can ya at least tell us what the grind will be, variable convexed ?

Sounds like good times , Competition makes everyone better , I look forward to seeing the new model .

Very cool. Hope you didn't mind me tossing out your name, Iz. I haven't even held one from you yet, but I am already impressed. Terry's word is pretty strong with me and the things he has done with the Soldier River are sooooo freakin cool. looking forward to the new design.

Can't wait to see what ya come up with, can ya at least tell us what the grind will be, variable convexed ?

You bet, brother. It'll be a varied convex for sure, for me and what I do that grind is perfect for a woodsman's knife.:thumbup:

Very cool. Hope you didn't mind me tossing out your name, Iz. I haven't even held one from you yet, but I am already impressed. Terry's word is pretty strong with me and the things he has done with the Soldier River are sooooo freakin cool. looking forward to the new design.
Not at all, brother I appreciate it. Terry puts 'em through the grinder fo' sho'.;)

I got faith in my horse in this race. Can't wait to see the new design.
Thanks, my brutha! I hope I make a good show of it.

Thanks everyone for your super kind words, this should be fun at the very least.
Iz
p.s. Be sure to stay tuned after it's all done I'll give the knife away on this forum. If it ain't broke.:D

I'm to excited about this not to share it with you guys so here goes.
This is what I came up with. I've been wanting to try a longer bladed Gasconade for a while so that's what this is based on.
This is it compared with the sr on top and the gasconade on bottom.
4994140601_515260e8ec_z.jpg

It has a little slimmer tip than the gasconade, a little longer blade and if it'll have a steel or nickel silver pommel to reinforce the handle material. Along with some people (Terry) I tend to beat on the pommel of a knife so I'm hoping the pommel will help reinforce things a little.
It's also got a more pronounced swell in the handle than the Gasconade. It's the same size swell but it looks bigger because the curves in front and back of it are deeper for a little more secure grip and a kind of small guard in front.

Pattern in hand.
4994140639_50f7c06ba4_z.jpg

It'll have micarta or g10 scales of course.

So yeah, it's pretty basic but in my experience the best tools usually are.

Let me know what you think.
Iz

That's a great design, I can't wait to see the finished blade !:thumbup:

I think that design has a lot of potential. I think it would look awesome with OD green micarta scales.

I think that design has a lot of potential. I think it would look awesome with OD green micarta scales.

*sigh*
I'm begining to think you got stock in the od micarta company.

;)

Thanks, guys. I hope it turns out good. I cut one out of 5/32" stock today. I'll finish it and use it as a test knife for me. Then the contest knife will be 3/16".
Iz

Back