Knifemaker challenge

Thanks, J brutha.

Did a little more on it today or yesterday. Can't remember it all kinda blends together these days. I'm getting old.:grumpy:
Cut out and profiled. This one is 5/32" thick and it'll be my test blade. The one I send for the challenge will be 3/16" thick.

5000203904_6f5f7e7765_z.jpg

5000204008_13cf237c66_z.jpg

Iz

Man, the Gasconade was the model of knife that I have been eyeballing!

This is great news!

Looks like it will be a powerful carver. :thumbup: How does it feel in a reverse grip?

With the blade facing the user and being used like a draw knife? Is the down angle of the blade too severe?

I like using a reverse grip for controlled carving, and I know Tony will test with that grip, so be sure it'll work like that too. ;)

Looks like it will be a powerful carver. :thumbup: How does it feel in a reverse grip?

With the blade facing the user and being used like a draw knife? Is the down angle of the blade too severe?

I like using a reverse grip for controlled carving, and I know Tony will test with that grip, so be sure it'll work like that too. ;)

Rotte,
I honestly couldn't tell you how it will perform in the reverse grip. About the only thing I carve is a spindle and a notch for my bow drill.:eek: And I don't use a reverse grip for that.
I've never used a smaller knife in the reverse grip that I can remember anyway so Tony will probably be a much better judge of that.
Thanks for the input, brother.:thumbup:
Iz

Alrighty then. I got it done today. Well I got my test knife done anyway.
I'll be making another one to send in for the official challenge.
As with all the knives that I design I try to test them before I make them available so this one is gonna get beat up.
This knife is 5/32" o-1 (all the future knives will be 3/16") and has a brass pommel. All future knives will probably be offered with brass, nickel silver or maybe steel options.
Hope you dig it.

5079478181_36b13865e8_z.jpg

5080072544_93ca865c3a_z.jpg

5080072498_415d243594_z.jpg

5080072576_29576c199a_z.jpg

5080072634_fd4e5c190e_z.jpg

I did an early test with some flowering dogwood. That name is deceiving, flowering dogwood is actually one of the hardest woods in north America.
Harder than oak, hickory, hornbeam and hop hornbeam. It's even harder than Osage Orange.
I battoned through a couple of times and shaved a few feathers.
5079478453_df433f2767_z.jpg

So far I'm really happy with it. I did some more testing in the woods today, going out for some more tomorrow Lord willing.
Look for the video soon. :4:
Iz

Phenomenal. I think that drop is gonna be what gives you the edge. Seriously Iz, nice work. Why the brass pommel? Not criticizing, just curious. I'll have to look into one of those big dudes, sooner than later I hope. Be cool, and God Bless. moose

What are the specs. Blade and Handle length?

Dogwood is some hard stuff. Knappers make billets out of it for percussion knapping. Knapper told me the harder the knapping material the softer the billet. He used dogwood on quartz material. Stone billet on obsidean.

Phenomenal. I think that drop is gonna be what gives you the edge. Seriously Iz, nice work. Why the brass pommel? Not criticizing, just curious. I'll have to look into one of those big dudes, sooner than later I hope. Be cool, and God Bless. moose

Thanks, Moose!
The pommel is for when I go to beating on the end of the knife. With a tougher pommel I don't have to worry about tearing up the handle material. Up to now I've been limited to micarta and g10 for my personal knives because I want toughness. But this opens up possibilities for some nice olive wood scales.:D
Or did you mean why brass specifically? That's because I didn't have any nickel silver or mild steel in the shop when I made this one.:eek:

What are the specs. Blade and Handle length?

Dogwood is some hard stuff. Knappers make billets out of it for percussion knapping. Knapper told me the harder the knapping material the softer the billet. He used dogwood on quartz material. Stone billet on obsidean.
Cd,
Blade length is about 4 7/8"
Handle length is about 4 1/4"

I didn't know that knappers used dogwood. That's interesting.

Thanks, guys.
Iz

So here's the actual knife I'll be sending in for the competition.

3/16" o-1, Varied convex, heat treat scale left on the flats, od camo g10 scales with black g10 sandwich spacers, steel pins and steel pommel plate.
5130316637_a13f01a794_z.jpg

5130316705_658f3d4c3a_z.jpg

5130316677_e8e6cde247.jpg

:dblthumb:
I'll be doing the sheath Monday or Tuesday.:(
Iz

I really like the design, especially the butt plate. That looks super handy :thumbup:

I'm wantin' one of those. I mean, what happens if I'm attacked my a Mountain Lion or sumpin'. Seriously, I really want one of those. Moose

I predict that will be the winner.

Honestly I dont know how those guys are going to pick a winner, I have a feeling there is going to be a 3 or 4 way tie, with this one being up there. Nice job. Guess I might as well get to the order screen.

Back