• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

- KnifeMakers Scribe -

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
OK I am ready to list this here as i have all the details worked out and after a few prototypes am ready to go into production. I guess first things first, if you have not fallowed this thread about it you should check it out, it most likely will answer your questions.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659777

I have been playing with ideas for a new center line scribe for a while as it seams like all the ones i have seen are about the same in concept. I just don't really like to hold the knife and scribe and try and operate them both at the same time and get a straight line. so I decided it was time to bust out my idea and see how it works, so far i could not be happier as it works just amazing. The body is hardened D2 and the screw is stainless steel (of course ;)) the carbide scribe is a turning insert that has specially been chosen for this use as it cuts very well and has a very small radius .004". The carbide insert is designed to cut steel, stainless steel, cast iron, non-ferrous, high temp alloy's and hardened steel, so that should cover it all. it also has a PVD TiN coating for better wear-resistance. The carbide insert in the picture is a non coated insert that i had on hand for proof of concept. the ones that will come with this will be the classic gold color but be the same shape and style. the body has engraved hight marks which coincide to the tip of the scribe. each mark raises the tip 1/32" and there are marks on each side to allow using both hands. the bottom of the body is polished so as to glide easily while scribing. included is a Allen wrench as well as a nifty storage tube. To use it you lay your blade on a flat surface and set your hight on the scribe and then ether drag the scribe along the edge or hold the scribe still and move the knife across the scribe. The body is 2.25" long and 5/8" in diameter to enable a firm grip. Like i said it works great and makes a rock solid straight line. i could not be happier with how it turned out, first class all the way.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

here is the storage tube. The scribe needed something as the carbide is not very cheep, so it needed to be protected. Its a nice little way to store it and it can slip in your pock or sit on your self and not roll off because of the square end caps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The index lines will not look evenly spaced on the side because as the scribe rotates around the radius of the body the angle has to increase to maintain a constant hight from zero which is the first mark. the pictures are of a prototype and the marks are spaced .025 and not 1/32 (.03125), but it gives you the idea. here is a drawing to show my point.

attachment.php

The price is going to be between $45-$50 each, I have not decided yet as i need to sit down and work up a production schedule and look at time and material cost. Right now i ordered enough carbide inserts to do 20 Scribes. here is a list of the 20 order slots. I will only be doing 20 in the first run as the carbide inserts are not cheep.

1: C.Edmondson
2: balibalistic PAID
3: bikermikearchery PAID
4: OPEN
5: ddavelarsen PAID
6: Dagr
7: John L PAID
8: wassomeoneelse
9: WadeH PAID
10: silver_pilate PAID
11: beginner930 PAID
12: Los Angeles PAID
13: teacher PAID
14: Phillip Dobson PAID
15: blitz1776 PAID
16: hoghvn
17: janekc PAID
18: Dustin Golat
19: Fiddleback
20: KamSingh

If your name has a ? next to it i was not sure by your post if you wanted one or not. also if you name is on the list and you don't want one that fine just let me know, no problem. I was just trying to make sure that people that wanted on got on.

here is something i drew up to show size and angles of the carbide insert

attachment.php

I am hoping to start on these soon, I have enough D2 to make a handful of them but will need to order more to do all 20. If you decide to pay by paypal we will need to add on a bit to cover the paypal charges. but i take check, money orders, and cash. also i just charge whatever shipping is which is only a few bucks i think for USPS. Thanks so much for checking these out and its a first come first serve with them going to people that post "I will take it" here, the only exception is the people that have already posted in the other thread and emailed me stating that thy want one. but from here on out you need to ask for one here as it makes keeping everything organized so much easer. Thanks

EDIT:
the price is going to be $50 as i just realized i calculated cost for 5/8" D2 stock and i need 3/4". it is a bit more pricey then the 5/8 stuff so i will say 50 each. and the easiest way for me to ship is with the small flat rate box which is 5 bucks. If you pay by paypal add 2 bucks and that will cover the dang fees.

EDIT 2
OK i have done another prototype that i think turned out even better then the on above. its the same thing except i left the main body at 3/4" and the knurled it for better grip. Man its sharp looking. pictures are posted in my next post below this one as this one is full.

EDIT 3
The list of people that want up is updated now with who paid.

Attachments

• carbide insert.jpg
    carbide insert.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 3,151
Last edited:
JT. how long do you think it will take you to get these out?

awsome looking design!

thanks

jake

here are the pictures i could not add up top.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ok guys your on the list.

JT. how long do you think it will take you to get these out?

awsome looking design!

thanks

jake

you know i'm not sure. I would think not to long as i work 4 10 hr days at work and can work on my own projects as long as my cnc mill is running. so I could have all 20 made by the end of the week if i get my order of carbide in by then.

Last edited:
What the heck, I collect tools as well as knives. Put me on the list, JT. Let me know what the final cost will be via paypal and after you figure out shipping and everything.

Thanks.

--nathan

JT, I'm in. I will take one, just let me know the final price.

What the heck, I collect tools as well as knives. Put me on the list, JT. Let me know what the final cost will be via paypal and after you figure out shipping and everything.

Thanks.

--nathan

JT, I'm in. I will take one, just let me know the final price.

ok your also on the list

I'll take one.

By the way, the way US patent law works, you have one year from this post to file your application. I strongly recommend you do that. This is a great invention that crosses over to fields outside of knifemaking.

A thought just came to me that i should turn some small grooves into the body so it gives it a bit more grip. i have to turn the body down from .75 to .725 so there is not much more work involved in this. here is a poorly drawn paint drawing of what I'm thinking.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mod.JPG
    mod.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,893
Please put me down for one. This thing looks like a winner....... :thumbup:

Please let me know when and where to send payment. My email is chuckp003@yahoo.com.

Thank you in advance,

Please put me down for one. This thing looks like a winner....... :thumbup:

Please let me know when and where to send payment. My email is chuckp003@yahoo.com.

Thank you in advance,

ok your on the list. man these are going fast

A thought just came to me that i should turn some small grooves into the body so it gives it a bit more grip. i have to turn the body down from .75 to .725 so there is not much more work involved in this. here is a poorly drawn paint drawing of what I'm thinking.

attachment.php

Maybe that could be a ruler.

;)

Back