Knifes in the work place?

Where you work (don't need to name the place/ company) are knifes frowned upon?
Is your work place stricter than local laws?

Or you can carry whatever is legal in your area at the job?

Pocket knives are no issue, as our PM likes knives himself. However, if someone were to come in one day with a sheathed fixed blade on their belt, there would almost certainly be an issue under my company's weapons ban.

Self employed. If I had employees, I'd let them carry anything.

Zieg

By the way, your sale thread? It's Zero Tolerance, not Torrance. Might want to actually read the box of what you're selling. LOL

As a journeyman fitter/welder I've gone to work at a lot of plants. The only rules against them (other than state laws) is that you can either have them or you can't. Most of the places I've worked at are STRICT about not having them. Unfortunately they have had lots of morons who don't know how to use them safely. The company I work at now allows them even though they continually have people being injured from improper knife use such as cutting 'towards' them instead of 'away' from them and we all know how well that works out...

Never heard of a knifes ban. I have heard of knives being banned. Depends on the company.

Last guy I hired did not have a knife. Told him to come back when he did!

I work in tech support and it's not a problem here.

Although when the corporate big-wigs come around, they make me put my Spyderco product guides away in my desk :p

I've gotten a couple of my co-workers into the wonderful world of knives via gifts I've given them.
Got one guy a Kershaw Emerson CQC-7 and another guy a Cryo 2.

Seeing them carry their knives everyday is all the thanks I need :p

Folding disposable razor blades. Could use what I want but won't use a good knife in my work place. Gary

My line of work requires a machete, a fixed blade and a folder , so I always have those in my truck along with other cutting tools.

everybody at work carries a folding boxcutter (warehouse job), I carry my EDC knives as well as the crappy boxcutter, and nobody seems to care. I did whip out my ZT once and startled a coworker. :D

In the hospital setting where I work knives are frowned upon. I usually have a small benchmade or CRK in my pocket..oftentimes not clipped for a more discrete carry.

Company policy is no knives, but its not enforced

Last edited:
There's a blanket "no weapons or anything designed as a weapon" policy. The interpretation varies from department to department. Business oriented departments tend to ban knives. Departments involved with the product tends to allow knives.

As a journeyman fitter/welder I've gone to work at a lot of plants. The only rules against them (other than state laws) is that you can either have them or you can't. Most of the places I've worked at are STRICT about not having them. Unfortunately they have had lots of morons who don't know how to use them safely. The company I work at now allows them even though they continually have people being injured from improper knife use such as cutting 'towards' them instead of 'away' from them and we all know how well that works out...
A lot of times it comes down to the client. The clients rules trump the contractor. I still carry. Can't do my job without the proper tools. It comes down to the safety people as well. A job can't possibly be done in the next century if all rules are abided by. Try tying off every rung of a scaffold during a crane pick.

I just had this conversation with some people at work. A guy from another department came to my area (IT) to discuss a project and saw me cutting open a box with whatever I was EDCing that day. He commented that he thought our company banned knives. Of course, at that point, four or five other guys in my department all flipped open their various folders. Our "guest" assured us that our employee handbook stated that knives were banned, but I checked and found that not to be the case. Guns, yes, but knives, no.

Of course, every now and then, someone will ask why so-and-so is bringing a weapon to work, and one of us always feels compelled to state that a knife is a tool.

I work in IT for a trucking company and my only use for one at workmis to cut up a piece of fruit so I carry a Crkt driter. Our employee handbook mentions not talking about knives at work with no specific mention of what not to carry. We are busuness casual dress and I do not see any pocket clips. On the other side of the fence where thr trucks are I see drivers carrying pocket clips as I imagine they have work ans safety related uses for a knife while on the road. I also carry a laeger folder next to my walet and do not ever take it out at work.

Back