Knifes in the work place?

I work in a family practice doctor's office and the docs really don't care what I carry. Still, I usually stick to a Cold Steel Tuff Lite as it's a pretty ideal office EDC and doesn't worry our patients much if I use it.

My work has a "no weapons" policy but as long ad you use a knife responsibly they don't hassle you much.
My assistant manager bugged me about my folders a few times until I used my SAK to fix a bunch of stuff-now she doesn't bother me.
My manager, on the other hand, didnt bat an eye when he saw me using a 0200 in the break room to cut my steak at lunch :D

I'm an ironworker, and construction sites and companies generally have no-weapons policies but nothing is ever said about knives specifically. I definitely consider my knife a tool, and don't carry it for self-defense. If defending myself were a concern, any number of the tools on my belt would make a better weapon than that sub-4" blade in my pocket.

I carry my SOG Trident every day - it's got a very deep carry clip but the clip is very visible (black clip against generally lighter coloured pants) and I don't make any effort to hide it when I need to use it, and have never had an issue. At most, I get comments or questions about whether the assisted open is legal (autos are not legal in Canada).

I'm always a bit amazed by the amount of people in construction who ask to borrow a knife and don't carry one themselves!

I work in IT for a trucking company and my only use for one at workmis to cut up a piece of fruit so I carry a Crkt driter. Our employee handbook mentions not talking about knives at work with no specific mention of what not to carry. We are busuness casual dress and I do not see any pocket clips. On the other side of the fence where thr trucks are I see drivers carrying pocket clips as I imagine they have work ans safety related uses for a knife while on the road. I also carry a laeger folder next to my walet and do not ever take it out at work.

Whoa, they actually mention not even talking about knives in the employee handbook? Interesting. That's a new one for me personally.

I also work in IT, no mention so far of not carrying or using a knife. What I have noticed is that the middle managers seem to get wide eyed when they see a knife that is not a traditional pocket knife. They really get uneasy when someone opens and uses an OTF knife. :D

As far as workplace rules go, some areas as much more lenient than others. Smaller and larger companies seem to be much stricter on no knives policies than what one would call a "midsized" company (150-400 employees). I think it would be strange to be prohibited from speaking about knives.

There's a no weapons policy at my restaurant that states no knives. Since mine aren't weapons and I use them responsibly I haven't had a problem. I've been carry my Street Beat in a pocket holster and it pokes out a little bit and still haven't had a problem. The holster carries my flashlight as well so there should be no mistaking that they're tools. I'm not breaking any laws so I don't worry about it too much.

Fortunately the companies that I have worked for never bothered me about carrying a knife or having them on my desk. At one company, I kept a small knife (~2.5" oal) I made of 01 scrap hanging on a magnet in my cubicle. There were a couple of my co workers that would regularly borrow it to open packages.

I'm now at a start up (7 of us) carrying is not a problem.

Ric

A lot of companies have things in their company policy the management is not even aware of.
In order to meet all the government regulations, risk assessments, the EEOC Regulations, & calm / pacify all the Chicken Little's they usually hire outside companies to create their company manual. Then it is typically reviewed only by the non-producing HR. people. Then you have the zero tolerance rhetoric which is basically the theory that thinking is an optional function.

In the last engineering firm I worked in two guys were having a BS conversation about to what to do if you were faced with a bear. They were discussing over best way to hold a knife in the event of an attack. During this exchange one of them pulled out a 3” Spyderco and was holding it in a closed fist with point out to demonstrate how he thought you should hold your knife in this situation. All this was after someone told a similar story that was in the news about a guy who fought a bear and won (the bear ran away).

A female co-worker observed this and called security, her supervisor & filed a complaint with HR. They were both fired and gone from the building within an hour.

This is the same company that decided it was perfectly alright for a co-worker to come to work (and stay) with a full blown case of the coughing, gagging, spitting flu . . . even after everyone on the floor complained. She was saving her GPT for her vacation.

Steve

A female co-worker observed this and called security, her supervisor & filed a complaint with HR. They were both fired and gone from the building within an hour.
Steve

When you said "they" I was hoping you meant the co-worker and her supervisor were fired for being stupid but, I don't think this is the case judging by their flu policy.

A guy from another departmenT...commented that he thought our company banned knives. Of course, at that point, four or five other guys in my department all flipped open their various folders. Our "guest" assured us that our employee handbook stated that knives were banned....

I know you felt like this, :rolleyes:. However, you would've been better off with a polite, "Thank you. I was not aware of that, and I will look into it, shortly.". ;)

YOU and your 'crew' are damn lucky you didn't end up like this one....:eek:

... two guys were having a BS conversation.... one of them pulled out a 3” Spyderco and was holding it in a closed fist with point out ....

I work as an analyst at a software company and knives are not frowned upon. Many people have pocket knives (BM, Kershaw, Spyderco) and some have boot knives (in their boots). In addition to my edc, I keep an opinel slim and a cold steel outdoorsman lite at my desk for cutting cakes for birthdays and food for lunch. I have a bit of a reputation as the weird knife guy :D

Im a butcher so a knife is in my hand from 7-4 everyday. Sometimes I bring my tomahawk and machete to work to do some work to it in the maintenance shop. My boss usually listens to me and gets us whatever stones and accessories we need. Trying to get him to get us an Edge Pro right now lol.

When I hire a person they are required to have a knife. Better yet, a larger one for heavy work, and a smaller one for detail oriented work. Knives are considered tools, but the pistol on my hip is a weapon. I am the manager of a small manufacturing company, and we are totally "politically incorrect". There aren't any legal restrictions in this area, so that isn't an issue. The things that will get you canned are being stupid, lazy, or a bad attitude.

My state law is 5.5" fixed or folder. No dirks, no daggers, no double edges, yadda yadda yadda and so forth.

My company's policy is "dangerous weapons are not permitted. This includes any knife with a blade longer than 3"..... So I stick to less than 3" at work. My main work carry has been a CS Recon1 mini here lately, and it's more than enough to get the job done. Although, I'd like to be able to carry my bigger blades....

I also carry my zombie green SYKCO 311 sometimes, but nobody EVER sees it. I work alone most of the time, or with one other guy who just happens to be into knives himself. He carries an Al Mar Sere 2K. (He liked mine when he first saw it and bought one) He said he ain't worried about the extra 1/2".

My 2 work knives:

Last edited:
I work in an office that has a "No Weapons" policy and even have it posted on the doors. We recently went thru a online course about work place safety. In the course it specifically said no knives over 3". In 29 years with the company, this is the first time I've seen any discussion on what size knife is OK. The company has a strict no guns policy (ie. no guns in the building or anywhere on their property, including in your car).

I'm retired. The first 20+ years I worked varied from construction to the newsroom of a daily newspaper. Pocket knives were common among the males at every place I worked. In fact, any guy who didn't have a useful pocket knife was looked upon as kinda weird. The last 20 or so years of my working life was spent in government offices--state and federal. In the 90s, no one cared about common pocket knives and most male and some female employees carried them routinely. Weapons were banned but knives were not considered weapons. You just couldn't legally bring a firearm to the office. After September 11, 2001, everything gradually changed. Metal detectors popped up everywhere, even at the newspaper where I had once worked and this made it a hassle to visit with former co-workers. Fingernail files and clippers were forbidden for visitors in federal buildings (although employees could bypass the metal detectors). Signs went up indicating "weapons" were forbidden and "weapons" included even a small pocket knife. Attitudes slowly changed and paranoia and hoplophobia became the order of the day as the working atmosphere grew increasingly hostile and neurotic. Many of the male employees, myself included, still routinely carried our pocket knives to the office despite the ban but we no longer were willing to use them even to slice or peel apples in sight of co-workers. By the time I retired, it was a relief to get the hell out of this atmosphere. But, fact is, that intolerant atmosphere is prevalent everywhere these days outside the workplace.

Back