KnifeWorks Exclusive Military - CTS-204P and dark green G10

There's a few reports around, but I thought I'd share mine here to avoid having to scroll through a thread for pics.

This is the nicest, most well built Military I've yet encountered. The blade is ground nice and thin, feels a little thinner than my previous Millies. Haven't mic'd it, but someone else said it was .020", which I consider to be about perfect for a knife like this.

Lock up is perfect. Full engagement of the liner, while still engaging early on the tang.

The new stepped stop pin. I think this is an excellent change. Anyone who's assembled many knives knows just how particular that stop pin screw can be in determining the blade's action. This removes that from the equation.

I was very surprised when I realized that the lanyard tube, while it has been enlarged, is also now stepped. I view this a big improvement, as the flared tube was always an issue during disassembly/reassembly previously.

The pocket clip has been updated to the 'spoon' profile, and this makes a huge difference for me in hand. The Military handle is great, but that clip always was a hot spot for me. No longer, as I can pretty much ignore the clip now. Huge, huge difference in comfort for me!

The stepped pivot, as first seen on the BBS CPM-S90V smurf blue Military is also seen here. Again, a welcome change. This pivot acts like the pivot bushing on Sebenzas and should ease reassembly dramatically, due to not having to tweak the action to get it just right. As a side note, the action on this Military is absolutely spot-on perfect. The blade is ever so slightly off center (doesn't matter to me) and the action is excellent. Very, very smooth, while having ZERO blade play. The action is very smooth without being 'floppy.' The blade is juuuust shy of falling shut when I release the lockbar, but I'm sure with a good relube and a little bit of carry and use it'll be there. I'm extremely impressed with how tight the lock up is in relation to the smoothness of action, far better than any other Military I've handled.

And the backspacers. Not a huge issue to me, but the upgraded larger hardware is a welcome change, and I always enjoy being able to rinse the knife out easily. Also, when reassembling, the knife should stay true easily, as 3 of the 5 connection points between the handles are stepped and therefore machined to a specific width. The knife should have an even stronger build than previous incarnations of this model, as the handles are compressing against those stepped areas, as opposed to relying on just the screws.

All in all, I agree with everyone who's said that this is the best iteration of the Spyderco Military yet!

What would you estimate the edge angle to be at? By the pics it looks considerably more obtuse than the Cruwear Millie I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice review! Thanks!
I've been selfish. Too busy fondling mine and cutting stuff with it to stop and take pics and post a review. :)
Thanks for your effort!

forgive my ignorance but what does "stepped" meam and why is it better than screwed?

forgive my ignorance but what does "stepped" meam and why is it better than screwed?

Means the only thing holding the stop pin in place is the fact it's sandwiched between the liners. No need for screws.
Better because if you're familiar with the Millie or PM2 pivot adjustments there's always a conflict between the pivot and the screwed blade stop making pivot adjustments more difficult. Now with only the pivot screws to adjust it'll be easier.

Means the only thing holding the stop pin in place is the fact it's sandwiched between the liners. No need for screws.
Better because if you're familiar with the Millie or PM2 pivot adjustments there's always a conflict between the pivot and the screwed blade stop making pivot adjustments more difficult. Now with only the pivot screws to adjust it'll be easier.
Do you see this as being something they will change on all future models? I know I've personally gone through hell to get the action on my s35vn PM2 right. And it still really where I'd like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Do you see this as being something they will change on all future models? I know I've personally gone through hell to get the action on my s35vn PM2 right. And it still really where I'd like it.

There was chatter a while back about a "Military 2" and someone here referred to this sprint as the new model but haven't heard anything official.
Maybe someone will confirm.

I'm pretty sure the Military 2 will have a new lock. I believe this newest one with the CQI upgrades could be considered Military 1.5 :D fairly certain I read that somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the Military 2 will have a new lock. I believe this newest one with the CQI upgrades could be considered Military 1.5 :D fairly certain I read that somewhere.

Ah. I sort of remembered the "2" would have a few more changes.
I know what I'd like to see but one thing for sure I want the clip to be oriented differently.

Ah. I sort of remembered the "2" would have a few more changes.
I know what I'd like to see but one thing for sure I want the clip to be oriented differently.
The only reason I haven't got one yet is the top down only option. Not only do I not like carrying my knife that way, but it makes it extremely uncomfortable to hold as well.

The only reason I haven't got one yet is the top down only option. Not only do I not like carrying my knife that way, but it makes it extremely uncomfortable to hold as well.

Don't let that stop you.

Have you had the original/normal Military? with the middle backspacer?

Do you like the standoffs on the new one better?

Have you had the original/normal Military? with the middle backspacer?

Do you like the standoffs on the new one better?

I've had both. I prefer the standoffs for a true flow thru design. I also really appreciate the other improvements.

Back