KnifeWorks Exclusive Military - CTS-204P and dark green G10

First the before "test mule stage" pictures, installed and parts:

3JClpepl.jpg

GXGRP5Il.jpg

After an hour of turning it down backyard style (chucked the Tee Nut into an electric drill, then "lathed" it down on a junk coarse stone):
BssqHQnl.jpg

3Z5oz9tl.jpg

TKPlyXfl.jpg

pOUrLJjl.jpg

lsYbReBl.jpg

I feel like a chicago screw of some sort would work as well.

You setup mimics the colors of the stock screws. Excellent job

I feel like a chicago screw of some sort would work as well.
I am looking at some aluminum blind threaded rivets in 6-32. They look promising with little to no modification. I'm just glad to know this is a potential option. Another, which was previously mentioned, would be a 6-32 standoff, a button cap screw, and a truss head screw (for the non-clip side). Snug the standoff up on the truss screw, drop it in the hole, and snug the button head screw up holding the clip firmly down.

I find Officer's hack quite intriguing but with regards to my KW Exclusive CF/Ti version with the RIL or any of the Millies with the RIL arrangement versus the 204P's liner lock in here.

The thing which has bothered me about the Millie's RIL is precisely the positioning of the clip because I believe that it impedes the extra pressure which one's own hands puts on the Reeve type locks when making contact with the frame as opposed to pressure on the clip which admittedly makes contact with the frame but not as effective as hand on the frame lock. I will have to look into this modification further for the mentioned model.

I find Officer's hack quite intriguing but with regards to my KW Exclusive CF/Ti version with the RIL or any of the Millies with the RIL arrangement versus the 204P's liner lock in here.

The thing which has bothered me about the Millie's RIL is precisely the positioning of the clip because I believe that it impedes the extra pressure which one's own hands puts on the Reeve type locks when making contact with the frame as opposed to pressure on the clip which admittedly makes contact with the frame but not as effective as hand on the frame lock. I will have to look into this modification further for the mentioned model.
The OM Hack™ should work fine with the framelock version. I'm looking at some off the shelf fasteners that would eliminate my "machining" process and look more professional. I'll have to buy the pieces in small batches so I guess I'll need more Millies. :D

The OM Hack™ should work fine with the framelock version. I'm looking at some off the shelf fasteners that would eliminate my "machining" process and look more professional. I'll have to buy the pieces in small batches so I guess I'll need more Millies. :D

Well I'd be interested in a couple if you have extras. :) I was thinking of trying it with the mxggear Seb 25 clip.

Well I'd be interested in a couple if you have extras. :) I was thinking of trying it with the mxggear Seb 25 clip.
I'll give my Millit a try to see how well it works - I suspect a true spring clip is the better way to go though. I'll bet a Ti Lock Hawk spring clip would work too.

You ought to consider marketing a retail version after you test through the different type of prototypes you are going to tinker with :)

There's a few reports around, but I thought I'd share mine here to avoid having to scroll through a thread for pics.

This is the nicest, most well built Military I've yet encountered. The blade is ground nice and thin, feels a little thinner than my previous Millies. Haven't mic'd it, but someone else said it was .020", which I consider to be about perfect for a knife like this.

Lock up is perfect. Full engagement of the liner, while still engaging early on the tang.

The new stepped stop pin. I think this is an excellent change. Anyone who's assembled many knives knows just how particular that stop pin screw can be in determining the blade's action. This removes that from the equation.

I was very surprised when I realized that the lanyard tube, while it has been enlarged, is also now stepped. I view this a big improvement, as the flared tube was always an issue during disassembly/reassembly previously.

The pocket clip has been updated to the 'spoon' profile, and this makes a huge difference for me in hand. The Military handle is great, but that clip always was a hot spot for me. No longer, as I can pretty much ignore the clip now. Huge, huge difference in comfort for me!

The stepped pivot, as first seen on the BBS CPM-S90V smurf blue Military is also seen here. Again, a welcome change. This pivot acts like the pivot bushing on Sebenzas and should ease reassembly dramatically, due to not having to tweak the action to get it just right. As a side note, the action on this Military is absolutely spot-on perfect. The blade is ever so slightly off center (doesn't matter to me) and the action is excellent. Very, very smooth, while having ZERO blade play. The action is very smooth without being 'floppy.' The blade is juuuust shy of falling shut when I release the lockbar, but I'm sure with a good relube and a little bit of carry and use it'll be there. I'm extremely impressed with how tight the lock up is in relation to the smoothness of action, far better than any other Military I've handled.

And the backspacers. Not a huge issue to me, but the upgraded larger hardware is a welcome change, and I always enjoy being able to rinse the knife out easily. Also, when reassembling, the knife should stay true easily, as 3 of the 5 connection points between the handles are stepped and therefore machined to a specific width. The knife should have an even stronger build than previous incarnations of this model, as the handles are compressing against those stepped areas, as opposed to relying on just the screws.

All in all, I agree with everyone who's said that this is the best iteration of the Spyderco Military yet!

The CTX-204P military is the best one I have owned. Mine seems perfect in ever way. Man, this knife will just keep cutting and does not get dull!

I have had this KW-204P in the rotation for a few weeks now, and others are having a difficult time keeping their turn. Admittedly this is the first Military that I've kept and used, and to say I'm impressed is a complete understatement. It carries easily (now that it learned tip-up), it handles deftly, and cuts like a demon. I have truly found my happy place with Spyderco's recipe on CTS204P - it is PERFECT for my needs. The ergo's are versatile and comfy, the blade shape just flat works, it can be delicate, it can be drastic - this knife just flat out rocks.

OM I feel the same way except I just gave in to the tip down carry. The knife is so good that I started to not care about the clip position. That was a standard millie. The 204p version is that much better

Back