Knives 2021 Annual

Has anyone else been through the new annual? Just as in the last few years, there are many makers featured in the photos that totally lack contact information in the directory section. My guess is the editor is just too lazy to do the leg work to bring everything up to date. I would think this would be very frustrating for the individual makers.
And then there is the Matthew Stagmer Roman pattern gladius sword on page 63. "Maine" style? Give me a break, how about "Maintz?"
Great photos but in this day and age of no shows to meet the makers, I need a website!

Every. Single. One. of my client/submissions includes a bio of the knife, and always at the least maker contact info.

The editors job is to publish what's delivered to them. Getting makers to fill out 'publication info' sheets is a challenge. I know it! If a maker has a submission and no contact, well someone, maybe even them, dropped the ball.

Whether that gets transcribed is beyond my control. :mad: Must have been someone else. :p

And.. if they use handwritten notes, let me tell you about cryptic deciphering. :rolleyes:

I have two copies due to arrive. I'm looking forward to them.

Give me an example?

Last year I went thru about 75% of the book and found something like 60 makers with no contact information. This year the first knife maker I tried to look up was a Pierre Mefflin who had a nice looking dagger, but no contact information and it was credit to Sharp by Coop. His second photo was not credited. The section "Melting Pot" starting on page 60, 5 of the 7 knife makers had no contact information, the two that did were credited to Sharp by Coop. I saw the "Maine" gladius, and figure that was the infamous "Spell Check" at work, but on page 133 is a "Viking Seax" by Bethany Tussing (no contact information) that has for a caption "Whether the Greek goddess of love or just a girl, Freya comes to life on the stag handle". Freya, Greek goddess of Love? I thought that was Aphrodite, and Freya was a Norse goddess. Nice photos, but for especially for a young knife maker to get a photo of his knife published, but no contact information, must be discouraging. John

I will say, having been working on a couple of books lately, that a Knives annual would be a nightmare to catch all those details. If you've got 250 pictures and corresponding knifemakers, from 6 different photographers all with a slightly different submission format, or if you accidentally or on purpose don't keep the pic files in with the info files and things get separated, or if folks won't respond to include or update their listings.... It's a logistical nightmare. Also, the layout, proof, and editing folks may not be knife people. I had a long discussion with an editor about "peening." We use technical words, and they're reviewed by people whose technical specialty is different. Also, try reading the same 200 page book five times. You notice different errors every time. I'm just saying, it's not that simple.

^^^ Jason: Well stated. You GET it.

The HANDMADE numbers: 550 images presented from six professional photographers, and 20 from individuals. (No credits given(?)

SharpByCoop Photography had 282 images included. The next professional had exactly 100. Others lower.

Yes, my son Trevor and I counted each one. :confused:

I am QUITE pleased for my clients! :thumbsup: They were served well by the Joe Kertzman and the KA staff.

Well its funny how its always the knife I am interested in, (seldom the art knives you photograph Coop) that lacks contact information in the directory. That is my primary reason for buying the book as the articles are seldom anything memorable. Take that story on Blade Show West that is basically an ad for something the publisher put on in 2019 but was shut down by the state of Oregon this year. Next year? Really hard to be optimistic about that right now.

Just started to go thru the book page by page, stopped at page 75. Results so far 92 photos of different knife makers, 39 of which have no contact information. Sharp by Coop, you need to take a closer look at the job being down for the following customers whose photos were credit it you, Tobin Hill Dave Parthemore, Adam Fromholtz, John April, Dominic Binkert, Frank Hunter, Pierre Mefflin, Andrew Demo, Anthony Richards, Dillion Dean, Nathan Carothers, and Tyler Turner, none of which have contact information, which I know from your posting you supplied with each photo submitted. I also noted that Wayne Goddard is still listed and Wayne passed in Nov 2018, RIP. I understand that it is not easy to get all the details correct, or that some photos do not include the necessary information, but in your case (SharpbyCoop) looks like someone dropped the ball as far as contact information is concerned. John

Hi John,

Thanks for your work on this. YES, this is distressing, and so having makers included, yet with NO contact info (as supplied) is disappointing. Hmmmmm.

I will forward this to the principals. We deserve a clarifying response.

I receive my November 2020 edition of Blade Magazine the other day and there's an ad (pg65) for "Knives 2020" annual including now a "special limited edition" 250 numbered hardcover copy.
Seems strange they have an ad for Knives 2020 when Knives 2021 is out? Even more strange that they wait until 2021s are out before offering a 2020 special limited edition.
At least I didn't see a 2020 special limited edition annual offered when I purchased my copy of the 2020 annual months ago.

Must have a lot of the 2020 annuals left over they need to sell?

The publishers of Blade almost quit publishing the annual. There can be only one reason why a publisher would stop publishing a particular item - It was not cost effective to do so. After a big brouhaha and a new owner they, reluctantly, it seems, kept printing it.

I would say, they probably are spending as much on that publication as they can. Put another person on it to make sure all the information in it is accurate, then it's no longer profitable. If it's no longer profitable, it's no longer there.

With all the competition that print media has with internet media, it's a wonder they can even print the annual, consider ourselves lucky.

Speaking of internet media, can't you find anything you want about any given maker on the internet if you at least have his name from the annual? If you can't, it's the knife makers fault, not the fault of Blade Annual.

One more note, I have never had a problem getting my name and contact information in the book correct. I give it to Coop, and I have contacted Blade. They are very easy to get a hold of by email, phone or letter. In my view, it's more on the knife maker to make sure it's there.

Yes, they (Coop and Blade) have been very good to me over the years, they owe me nothing.

I agree Mark, the Knives Annuals have provided knife enthusiasts much enjoyment and needed info for many years. I believe I have every edition since 1996.
Same thing for Blade Magazine, let's just be thankful they are still in print.

Mark Knapp Mark Knapp and Kevin Jones Kevin Jones = Right on.

I had a lengthy dialog with those in charge. As Mark stated: We are lucky to have ANYTHING.

Steve Shackleford said the same thing: Google is at our fingertips. Makers: If you DO NOT have a website or an online presence, don't rely on the Knives Annual. You need more.

They agree the process can be even better. My photo 'infosheets' do NOT have all the information they need for the database: How many years in the business, styles of knives, mark, etc. For that they ask for DIRECT INPUT.

I am told you ought to email this (YOUR) info directly to Guns Digest online editor Ben Sobiek, who will do his best to update. He can ONLY work with those who reach back to HIM: ben@gundigest.com

Good Thread.

Mark Knapp Mark Knapp and Kevin Jones Kevin Jones = Right on.

I had a lengthy dialog with those in charge. As Mark stated: We are lucky to have ANYTHING.

Steve Shackleford said the same thing: Google is at our fingertips. Makers: If you DO NOT have a website or an online presence, don't rely on the Knives Annual. You need more.

They agree the process can be even better. My photo 'infosheets' do NOT have all the information they need for the database: How many years in the business, styles of knives, mark, etc. For that they ask for DIRECT INPUT.

I am told you ought to email this (YOUR) info directly to Guns Digest online editor Ben Sobiek, who will do his best to update. He can ONLY work with those who reach back to HIM: ben@gundigest.com

Good Thread.

Very good then. My biggest fear is, that if people complain, like some of the complaints in this thread, and make the publication more trouble than it's worth, they'll just say "The hell with it" and just quit printing it again. Give them your info, and don't rock the boat, I say.

^^^ Agreed. Give them all the info they require. If they need to correct anything, be respectful and pleasant. Point out the errors without malice and move on.

Kevin my collection of Knives Annual goes back to 1981. For years when Le Baron sporting goods store existed the price was terrific -- generally <$20. They closed up a few years back but I still love to get the Annual. At one time when we were getting things going with CKCA I offered to give a data base I had to KA but it was not desired and I have always seen issues with info and wrong phone #'s and no email. Unfortunately, now in Can $ the cost after tax is $55 so I am not sure what I will do. Dang collecting can become addictive and I hate to be missing an issue but when gone my kids might be happier with a few more $ than having one more book.
40 years of collecting! A lot of knives purchased and a lot of shows attended and a lot of photographs taken and a lot of pleasure every day.

Kevin my collection of Knives Annual goes back to 1981. For years when Le Baron sporting goods store existed the price was terrific -- generally <$20. They closed up a few years back but I still love to get the Annual. At one time when we were getting things going with CKCA I offered to give a data base I had to KA but it was not desired and I have always seen issues with info and wrong phone #'s and no email. Unfortunately, now in Can $ the cost after tax is $55 so I am not sure what I will do. Dang collecting can become addictive and I hate to be missing an issue but when gone my kids might be happier with a few more $ than having one more book.
40 years of collecting! A lot of knives purchased and a lot of shows attended and a lot of photographs taken and a lot of pleasure every day.

Get the book, spend their inheritence. Your kids want you happy and inheritences can split a family.

Last year I went thru about 75% of the book and found something like 60 makers with no contact information. This year the first knife maker I tried to look up was a Pierre Mefflin who had a nice looking dagger, but no contact information and it was credit to Sharp by Coop. His second photo was not credited. The section "Melting Pot" starting on page 60, 5 of the 7 knife makers had no contact information, the two that did were credited to Sharp by Coop. I saw the "Maine" gladius, and figure that was the infamous "Spell Check" at work, but on page 133 is a "Viking Seax" by Bethany Tussing (no contact information) that has for a caption "Whether the Greek goddess of love or just a girl, Freya comes to life on the stag handle". Freya, Greek goddess of Love? I thought that was Aphrodite, and Freya was a Norse goddess. Nice photos, but for especially for a young knife maker to get a photo of his knife published, but no contact information, must be discouraging. John

Hi John,

I am Pierre Mefflin and I'm a knifemaker based in Australia - My website for future reference is Mefflinknives.com

Thanks for your kind words about my dagger :)

Back