Knives and Coffee

Drank too much regular coffee today, got heartburn this evening. Had hot in the morning and then iced late in afternoon ......maybe need to go back to decaf. I finally found Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee, I think it comes in decaf.

Drank too much regular coffee today, got heartburn this evening. Had hot in the morning and then iced late in afternoon ......maybe need to go back to decaf. I finally found Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee, I think it comes in decaf.
Does decaf help you with heartburn? In my experience, caffeine or no, heartburn is the same.

Does decaf help you with heartburn? In my experience, caffeine or no, heartburn is the same.

Huh yeah thats interesting...i havent tried decaf but im limited to two 16 oz mugs a day one in the morning and one around 2 otherwise the burn is bad.

I should try decaf...

I have found that arabica beans in a dark roast helps. Cheap blended coffee forget about it, the fire starts after one cup.

dUuW0Yt.jpg

Huh yeah thats interesting...i havent tried decaf but im limited to two 16 oz mugs a day one in the morning and one around 2 otherwise the burn is bad.

I should try decaf...

I have found that arabica beans in a dark roast helps. Cheap blended coffee forget about it, the fire starts after one cup.
During the summer, Dcdavis Dcdavis and I did some cold brewing. Supposedly it reduces bitterness, acid I would assume, so you might give that a try. Not sure it really makes a difference in heartburn as I don't have much of that anymore (but I had it a lot years back so I know the feeling). In a 27 (or so) ounce container I mix 1/2 (or so) ground coffee with hot tap water and let it sit in the fridge for at least 15 hours but not more than 24 (17 seemed about right). Once filtered you can heat it up or drink it cold.

And some pics where I'm sure I was cold brewing:

6wFmpFGh.jpg

vh6T6Pph.jpg

3T3fBtfh.jpg

XUzhfpph.jpg

KrNbHaAh.jpg

Last edited:
During the summer, Dcdavis Dcdavis and I did some cold brewing. Supposedly it reduces bitterness, acid I would assume, so you might give that a try. Not sure it really makes a difference in heartburn as I don't have much of that anymore (but I had it a lot years back so I know the feeling). In a 27 (or so) ounce container I mix 1/2 (or so) ground coffee with hot tap water and let it sit in the fridge for at least 15 hours but not more than 24 (17 seemed about right). Once filtered you can heat it up or drink it cold.

6wFmpFGh.jpg

vh6T6Pph.jpg

3T3fBtfh.jpg

XUzhfpph.jpg

KrNbHaAh.jpg

I do cold brew as well in the summer but do one hot mug in the morn to get going and the cold brew in the afternoon...i never thought of heating up the cold brew in the winter.

Ive got one of those large mason jar systems with a ss filter that brews in the fridge overnight.

I never have any luck with reheating hot brewed coffee. Always taste like dog tail. I will give the cold brew a mic and see.

Thanks!

6wFmpFGh.jpg

vh6T6Pph.jpg

3T3fBtfh.jpg

XUzhfpph.jpg

KrNbHaAh.jpg

I do cold brew as well in the summer but do one hot mug in the morn to get going and the cold brew in the afternoon...i never thought of heating up the cold brew in the winter.

I never have any luck with reheating hot brewed coffee. Always taste like dog tail. I will give the cold brew a mic and see.

Thanks!
I can guarantee I’ll do cold brew again next summer. I really liked it

Interesting about the cold brew to reduce bitterness, I guess it reduces the acidity? It may be the caffeine mixed with some foods might have been the cause of the heartburn, after all, I had a WAWA Turkey Bowl with sweet potatoes, stuffing, turkey and cranberry. Yeah, that mixed with the iced coffee may have done it. On another thought, I wanted some other opinions on what I heard, that light roasted coffee like in breakfast blend actually has more caffeine than a darker roast. Opinions? Thanks.

Yes, cold brew has less acidity. I think another reason there is less bitterness is because it's harder to over extract with cold brew. Over extraction will cause a more bitter flavor.

Darker roasts have less caffeine, but I'm not sure if it's enough to be noticeable given the same type of coffee. I think the amount of caffeine is more dependent on the type of coffee that you start with before roasting.

Ive got one of those large mason jar systems with a ss filter that brews in the fridge overnight.

Thanks!
Sounds like you have it covered! Not sure about the taste of refried, but I'm a bad judge on coffee taste as I mostly drink the same medium roast Colombian Starbucks every day.

I can guarantee I’ll do cold brew again next summer. I really liked it
Me too. I still do a batch every week or so and keep it ready to drink in the fridge in case I don't have time to brew any. Just a quick gulp or two and out the door!

Interesting about the cold brew to reduce bitterness, I guess it reduces the acidity? It may be the caffeine mixed with some foods might have been the cause of the heartburn, after all, I had a WAWA Turkey Bowl with sweet potatoes, stuffing, turkey and cranberry. Yeah, that mixed with the iced coffee may have done it. On another thought, I wanted some other opinions on what I heard, that light roasted coffee like in breakfast blend actually has more caffeine than a darker roast. Opinions? Thanks.
Gotta have a WaWa! People outside of our area don't know the greatness.

Yes, dark roasts have slightly less caffeine. Where it becomes noticeable is when you are measuring your grounds by volume (scoops) rather than weight. Lighter roasts are more dense and thus weigh more, so if you measure by a scoop, the lighter roast will actually weigh more and thus have more caffeine. Hopefully I explained that right, the concept is a little confusing because it is counter intuitive since the darker roasts taste like they should have more caffeine.

Yes, cold brew has less acidity. I think another reason there is less bitterness is because it's harder to over extract with cold brew. Over extraction will cause a more bitter flavor.

Darker roasts have less caffeine, but I'm not sure if it's enough to be noticeable given the same type of coffee. I think the amount of caffeine is more dependent on the type of coffee that you start with before roasting.

Interesting on the over extraction, thanks. You can get that bitterness in cold brew if you leave it too long so that makes sense. I've found 15-17 hours to be just right.

Sounds like you have it covered! Not sure about the taste of refried, but I'm a bad judge on coffee taste as I mostly drink the same medium roast Colombian Starbucks every day.

Me too. I still do a batch every week or so and keep it ready to drink in the fridge in case I don't have time to brew any. Just a quick gulp or two and out the door!

Gotta have a WaWa! People outside of our area don't know the greatness.

Yes, dark roasts have slightly less caffeine. Where it becomes noticeable is when you are measuring your grounds by volume (scoops) rather than weight. Lighter roasts are more dense and thus weigh more, so if you measure by a scoop, the lighter roast will actually weigh more and thus have more caffeine. Hopefully I explained that right, the concept is a little confusing because it is counter intuitive since the darker roasts taste like they should have more caffeine.

Interesting on the over extraction, thanks. You can get that bitterness in cold brew if you leave it too long so that makes sense. I've found 15-17 hours to be just right.
15-17 is right where I found it to be the best for me as well. 18 at the most

Back