Knives and meat... kitchen work, butchering, field work, etc

Thanks for sharing Brian. Can you describe how the D3V did compared to D2?

My preference is in part based on how I find the sharpening. As far as the way it cuts... Over extended usage, for me it seems that the D2 will cut slightly longer. I would enjoy hearing Nathan's thoughts on this. Sometimes we are cutting on teflon tables, and sometimes in the field, and sometimes gritty dirty hides to work through. For me, it's easier to bring back the edge on the D2. I realize some of you guys have a better system for that then I do. It's not a big difference... Just a "feel" i prefer over time. Now out in camp, if I had to choose, i would take the 3v along first. Austin the other day was using Mark's folder, and cutting 5/8 steel strapping on lumber piles. ??? I keep telling him to get a snips. He always says why walk all the way to the trailer? I have my folder. One of the non-knife guys on another crew saw him do it. He is a firemen. He came over and said... "did I just see you do that"? Austin said "yes, here watch this". Then the guy grabbed the knife and proceeded to cut cardboard.... It's been several days, and he is still babbling incoherently about it, if given the chance. He is now depending on Austin to get him one of those "crazy folders". it's D3v of course.

I have a dream to have a thinner, meat cutting focused CPK knife in D2. These are for heavy use, and not necessarily designed for table and shop use.

On cutting bale wrap and hay netting, we find the same thing. The D2 in a situation where the edge is being used for cutting a tough material and there is little to no edge torque or abuse... The D2 definitely will keep cutting after the 3v has stopped.

:) See my comment about a CPK meat knife / steak knife / manly much used knife to cut steaks... I still need to catch up with you sometime...

With these kinda threads, you maybe able to sway Nathan to revisit and revamp that long retired D2-Skinner pattern :)

Lorien's DEK1 looks like a pattern that will work its way into the tasks which you, me and everyone's grandmother in here is looking for but that's still a 4.5" blade. I guess Nathan will make a determination as to whether he will run a few batches of the DEK1 in his tweaked D2 HT. The FK 2.0 is also supposed to be thinner. Don't you wander off being a stranger again, baby coming shortly and whatevs other excuses! :D

^^^Brain, thanks for taking the time for the detailed reply.

I know everyone has different knife needs/preferences, but I’m with you in terms of a thinner blade in D2 for field use/game prep. I don’t get in the field as often as I’d like, but when I do, I don’t want to have to sharpen a blade mid job or in the dark if possible.

It’s good to hear D3V isn’t far behind D2 in game prep/meat use.

Last edited:
Dave, you're already almost 76.8325% there. All that you need now are some handle scales :p :D

Arrrggggghhhhhh! I don't know if I can bring myself to use it!!!!

You've got to understand, that was like chasing a unicorn for me. What I need is a current production model CPK D2 thin slicer with some reach to it--->then I'd drive that sucker like I stole it!!

Arrrggggghhhhhh! I don't know if I can bring myself to use it!!!!

You've got to understand, that was like chasing a unicorn for me. What I need is a current production model CPK D2 thin slicer with some reach to it--->then I'd drive that sucker like I stole it!!

I know the feeling. That’s why I sold both of mine!

Back