Knives at IWA'2019

Knives at IWA'2019

Yes, I know – American people are proud of their Blade Show in Atlanta and Shot Show in Las Vegas. I have never visited one nor another, so I can't compare these events with IWA in Nuremberg (Germany, Bavaria) but I can say certainly – IWA & Outdoor Classics is the biggest and the most prestigious show of guns, ammo, accompanying accessories and so on here in Europe.

This is the biggest knife show as well.

01_p.jpg

Here are exposing their knives the most famous knife manufacturers of entire world, also American companies. Must say that individual knife makers attend this trade show certainly less and this is the noticeable difference between IWA and typical knife shows in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Russia and another European knife shows organised by national knifemaker associations.

The knives, multi-tools, axes, swords, sharpeners and other knife accessories were exposed at more than 400 exhibitor stands. Of course not all of them were knife manufacturer stands, some companies are only trading knives – FRANKONIA or HALLER for example. Some others are offering knives next to their product main line but not manufacture them – like GLOCK, WALTHER, BROWNING and so on. Sometimes it's unknown what company is really manufacturing knives for them, so there is nothing to talk about.

Let's speak about real knife manufacturers.

02_p.jpg

IWA floor plan - the very most of knife manufacturers traditionally order their stands in Hall 5

IWA'2019 was 26-th edition of this trade show what I have visited in row, my first visit took place in 1993. Observing European knife market within so long time I can compare comparable things and select certain trends what rather are not random or casual.

The main and the most clearly visible trend is not too comforting for American knife manufacturing companies. They have stronger and stronger competition from Chinese manufacturer side. Seems “the gold age of American knifemaking” - this is medial recapitulation of last quarter of XX century – is over and the world center of knifemaking gravity moves to Far East. The greatest part of liability for such situation rests on... American knife manufacturing companies although this looks pretty paradoxical. Commissioning the production of more and more their models to Far Eastern – Japan, Taiwan, China - cooperators they in a natural way made them available the newest technologies, materials, machinery and so on. There are some American companies what never had any own manufacturing facilities and all offered under their brand name knives where really manufactured at Far East.

Now please look at this problem from Chinese manufacturer standpoint. Using high technologies and modern top grade materials to make high quality knives for American brands, they should be completely crazy to do not try earlier or later to promote their knives as their own brand. And they did it! Some Chinese companies already are worked out and strengthened their position at American marked and now they aim to less absorbent and more conservative European one. More pragmatic and less fascinated with American knives as well...

03_p.jpg

Chinese knife manufacturing companies fighting for European market are exposing their products at each year bigger and more convincing stands

Why I could foretell them success in this way?

It's quite simply task, not mandatory to be any diviner at all – the proverbial dog is buried in price relation to real value.

Just one comparison, for example only – Chinese made DEFCON Kabuto versus US Idaho made legendary Chris Reeve Sebenza. The same materials and closely comparable execution quality at more than four (!!!) times lower price (according eBay.com). The general design and finish is strictly individual matter for everyone but real world utility features are also closely comparable and anyway are not lower.

05a_p.jpg

05b_p.jpg

SPYDERCO is my icon of American knife manufacturing, why – it's separate question. Their Zoomer is close to ideal general use outdoors knife made on highest level of quality and of modern premium grade materials... at Taiwan.

06a_p.jpg

06b_p.jpg

European knife making companies also do not stay in place. Italian LIONSTEEL almost each year surprise Blade Show jury with quite innovatively designed knives. Of course I'm not diviner but I think their new ROK folder with concealed pocket clip has real chances to get next prize at Atlanta this year...

07_p.jpg

LIONSTEEL make very good quality knives for German POHL FORCE company, founded by Dietmar Pohl – former chief-designer at German BÖKER company – about dozen years ago. Dietmar is knife designer, not manufacturer. I know him in person for about 20 years and clearly know that not each his design if fine for me. Anyway he has plenty of fantasy an far not each European production knife manufacturer can hold up to it. Italian LIONSTEEL can, nothing to say more.

08_p.jpg

The – probable! - mass production by LIONSTEEL of another German knife designer's Dirk Wanger could be little but very functional hunting / utility / neck knife – preproduction prototype pictured. German LOHMANN Niolox steel blade, walnut (another kind of wood as well as G-10 laminate should be available to choose) handle, Kydex (pictured) or classic leather pouches – these are the futures what I can reveal.

09_p.jpg

Another Italian knife making company EXTREMA RATIO certainly likes cool-looking bomb-proof military styled knives. I'm not too partial for such style, however I'm aware that it have pretty wide circle of admirers. Anyway I must say, that Austrian (BÖHLER) steel based blades are flawlessly thermally treated and execution quality stands on the highest level.

10a_p.jpg

10b_p.jpg

Here is American Indian styled Nessmuk knife made by Finnish BRISA company - 80CrV2 carbon steel blade with scandi grind, curly birch handle, leather pouch with traditional Scandinavian low carry suspension.

11a_p.jpg

11b_p.jpg

Russian knife manufacturing company Kizlyar Supreme started about dozen years ago importing to Russia China made knives. Today they have their own production facility in Kizlyar (small town in Dagestan, Muslim autonomy in Russian Federation at North Caucasus). Kizlyar could be considered as some kind of “Caucasian Solingen”, the place where knifemaking traditions exist always and for ever. Company works with modern steels and natural materials like wooden handles and leather pouches. Pictured guy looking a small bit like Viking and small bit like J.R.R. Tolkien's dwarf is company's development manager Victor Agre. The knife in his hand is Shark with German PGK steel blade, walnut wood handle and leather pouch.

Of course it's impossible in the relatively short article to tell all about knives and oter items at IWA. If you are interested – please visit next year Trade show:

Last edited:
07_p.jpg

LIONSTEEL make very good quality knives for German POHL FORCE company, founded by Dietmar Pohl – former chief-designer at German BÖKER company – about dozen years ago. Dietmar is knife designer, not manufacturer. I know him in person for about 20 years and clearly know that not each his design if fine for me. Anyway he has plenty of fantasy an far not each European production knife manufacturer can hold up to it. Italian LIONSTEEL can, nothing to say more.

Excellent post! Thanks for all the info' and pics. I've been following the news on these from Pohl Force since IWA 2019, and have bookmarked the page on their wesbite for the "Force Three Survival"!!!!

I've done the IWA show around 10 times. Used to have an exhibit, but that company's long gone. Thanks for showing your pics.

Update.
12_p.jpg
12_p.jpg

Dirk Wanger and LIONSTEEL cooperation – Pronto knife – is already in production and is available at Dirk's website
In fact this was actual at the moment when I have written my post, simply I have inattentively listened Dirk and Gianni – my apologies.

Knives at IWA'2019

Yes, I know – American people are proud of their Blade Show in Atlanta and Shot Show in Las Vegas. I have never visited one nor another, so I can't compare these events with IWA in Nuremberg (Germany, Bavaria) but I can say certainly – IWA & Outdoor Classics is the biggest and the most prestigious show of guns, ammo, accompanying accessories and so on here in Europe.

This is the biggest knife show as well.

01_p.jpg

Here are exposing their knives the most famous knife manufacturers of entire world, also American companies. Must say that individual knife makers attend this trade show certainly less and this is the noticeable difference between IWA and typical knife shows in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Russia and another European knife shows organised by national knifemaker associations.

The knives, multi-tools, axes, swords, sharpeners and other knife accessories were exposed at more than 400 exhibitor stands. Of course not all of them were knife manufacturer stands, some companies are only trading knives – FRANKONIA or HALLER for example. Some others are offering knives next to their product main line but not manufacture them – like GLOCK, WALTHER, BROWNING and so on. Sometimes it's unknown what company is really manufacturing knives for them, so there is nothing to talk about.

Let's speak about real knife manufacturers.

02_p.jpg

IWA floor plan - the very most of knife manufacturers traditionally order their stands in Hall 5

IWA'2019 was 26-th edition of this trade show what I have visited in row, my first visit took place in 1993. Observing European knife market within so long time I can compare comparable things and select certain trends what rather are not random or casual.

The main and the most clearly visible trend is not too comforting for American knife manufacturing companies. They have stronger and stronger competition from Chinese manufacturer side. Seems “the gold age of American knifemaking” - this is medial recapitulation of last quarter of XX century – is over and the world center of knifemaking gravity moves to Far East. The greatest part of liability for such situation rests on... American knife manufacturing companies although this looks pretty paradoxical. Commissioning the production of more and more their models to Far Eastern – Japan, Taiwan, China - cooperators they in a natural way made them available the newest technologies, materials, machinery and so on. There are some American companies what never had any own manufacturing facilities and all offered under their brand name knives where really manufactured at Far East.

Now please look at this problem from Chinese manufacturer standpoint. Using high technologies and modern top grade materials to make high quality knives for American brands, they should be completely crazy to do not try earlier or later to promote their knives as their own brand. And they did it! Some Chinese companies already are worked out and strengthened their position at American marked and now they aim to less absorbent and more conservative European one. More pragmatic and less fascinated with American knives as well...

03_p.jpg

Chinese knife manufacturing companies fighting for European market are exposing their products at each year bigger and more convincing stands

Why I could foretell them success in this way?

It's quite simply task, not mandatory to be any diviner at all – the proverbial dog is buried in price relation to real value.

Just one comparison, for example only – Chinese made DEFCON Kabuto versus US Idaho made legendary Chris Reeve Sebenza. The same materials and closely comparable execution quality at more than four (!!!) times lower price (according eBay.com). The general design and finish is strictly individual matter for everyone but real world utility features are also closely comparable and anyway are not lower.

05a_p.jpg

05b_p.jpg

SPYDERCO is my icon of American knife manufacturing, why – it's separate question. Their Zoomer is close to ideal general use outdoors knife made on highest level of quality and of modern premium grade materials... at Taiwan.

06a_p.jpg

06b_p.jpg

European knife making companies also do not stay in place. Italian LIONSTEEL almost each year surprise Blade Show jury with quite innovatively designed knives. Of course I'm not diviner but I think their new ROK folder with concealed pocket clip has real chances to get next prize at Atlanta this year...

07_p.jpg

08_p.jpg

The – probable! - mass production by LIONSTEEL of another German knife designer's Dirk Wanger could be little but very functional hunting / utility / neck knife – preproduction prototype pictured. German LOHMANN Niolox steel blade, walnut (another kind of wood as well as G-10 laminate should be available to choose) handle, Kydex (pictured) or classic leather pouches – these are the futures what I can reveal.

09_p.jpg

Another Italian knife making company EXTREMA RATIO certainly likes cool-looking bomb-proof military styled knives. I'm not too partial for such style, however I'm aware that it have pretty wide circle of admirers. Anyway I must say, that Austrian (BÖHLER) steel based blades are flawlessly thermally treated and execution quality stands on the highest level.

10a_p.jpg

10b_p.jpg

Here is American Indian styled Nessmuk knife made by Finnish BRISA company - 80CrV2 carbon steel blade with scandi grind, curly birch handle, leather pouch with traditional Scandinavian low carry suspension.

11a_p.jpg

11b_p.jpg

Russian knife manufacturing company Kizlyar Supreme started about dozen years ago importing to Russia China made knives. Today they have their own production facility in Kizlyar (small town in Dagestan, Muslim autonomy in Russian Federation at North Caucasus). Kizlyar could be considered as some kind of “Caucasian Solingen”, the place where knifemaking traditions exist always and for ever. Company works with modern steels and natural materials like wooden handles and leather pouches. Pictured guy looking a small bit like Viking and small bit like J.R.R. Tolkien's dwarf is company's development manager Victor Agre. The knife in his hand is Shark with German PGK steel blade, walnut wood handle and leather pouch.

Of course it's impossible in the relatively short article to tell all about knives and oter items at IWA. If you are interested – please visit next year Trade show:
I found this article very enlightening.
Although I'm quite an old bugger with health concerns, I've only just started to collect some knives. Why? I just don't know. All I do know is that I enjoy doing so
I now have about 150 or so. Some were reasonably expensive and some not so.
But the point that I seem to be labouring to get to is that a lot of them come from China and Taiwan etc. I have to say that they are beautiful and finished off for the most part, depending on price, in such a way that they can be untouchable in their quality. That can of course include some of the copies. Which is a road that I think I'll leave alone, for now anyway.

Back