Knives For 2019?

Ordered a Massdrop Laconico Keen, due in Thursday. Still hoping to find exactly the version of a Koenig Arius on which I'm willing to spend the money.

Happy new year all! I bought quite a few knives in 2018 so this year I’m after a select few...for now. The MBK Laconico EZC that is sill stuck in customs I hear. My most highly anticipated knife is the DLT Gen 6 XM-18 M390 3.5” no choil slicer. As always I’m still searching for a Knife Art Large Sebenza Insingo with a 1x1 plain weave carbon fiber scale to match my drop point.

Well , here's my list of "next to buy" :
- Crusader Forge VIS Metro
- Manix2 20CV/red G10
- Praetorian S90V
- 187 DP S90V
- Subvert
- ZT 0640
- Yojimbo2 S90V

I'm currently interested in thick overbuilt folders under $800.

Hmm... I bought 17 in '17 and 9 in '18. However I spent more on the 9 than the 17. This year, I hope I slow down considerably...Na, probably not.

Ordered a Massdrop Laconico Keen, due in Thursday. Still hoping to find exactly the version of a Koenig Arius on which I'm willing to spend the money.
I could have written the same thing--my Keen's shipping label was just created and the only knife I'm looking forward to finding and purchasing is a particular version of the Arius.

Like a previous poster or two here, I've been both underwhelmed by what I find available in the knife market and overwhelmed by how many damn knives I already have. The Keen was my first new purchase in six months save for a pre-order and pair of scales. I'm going through my collection, very slowly cutting down of knives I don't use and carry, either by selling them off or making them users. I've also pretty much decided not to buy anything significant without parting with equivalent value.

Seven makers account for 75% of my collection, and while I like most of those a lot, I'd like to get more variation in what I have. I can't really see any sense in buying an eighth CRK, say, just to have another and there's really not one of them I'd care to get rid of to replace with another Reeve knife. There's a lot to go through, so I'm in no rush, and the good new is I have lots of fine knives to carry and use in the meantime.

Out of the gate for 2019, I'm looking at a Pohl Force Prepper 2 fixed blade, which I think may actually be made under contract by Lionsteel.

zyyb3VF.jpg

Just bought a ZT0470 . Besides Spyderco Sprint PM2 or PM3 I don’t see my self buying any other Spyderco or benchmade unless I find a good deal on used one .

LTWK GNS will be landing here in "The Rocks" in a week or so!!
CASE Smooth antique bone Barlow on order with Mike at CK..
John

Last edited:
Just bought my first one of the new year, from USAMADEBLADE. Got a Benchmade Bugout, i figured it was about time :)

Only have 2 on the want list right now:
CRK Large 21 Tanto Red Micarta
GEC 15 Clip Point Red Micarta

The 15 may take some time and effort to find and it’s going to be hard to drop the $$ on the CRK, especially since that combo doesn’t show up on the secondary market often. Hopefully sticking to seeking out those only will deter me from other frivolous purchases.

The Vtoku2 Stretch I paid for 363 days ago
M390 Kershaw Dividend
Sprint run Marksman
Sprint Run Bugout (hopefully in a new steel)
Might talk myself into a Hinderer but probably not

Happy New Year Knife Nuts.

The end of 2018 found me in quite the quandary. I'd spent all the preceding months buying and testing different Spydercos trying to find the best overall EDC. For my personal use, I've been Spyderco folders pretty exclusively for about a decade. So many models came close but there was always something just off with each one. Usually it was either the insistence on the finger choil or the stamped clip. But I settled back down with one of my old purchases, the M2LW.

I decided I needed to start looking at different things so I started asking around here about "this" model and "that" company. They were mostly more expensive knives but I didn't mind spoiling myself on one really good one. But again, I was finding myself making compromises about aspects of the designs.

And then...I rediscovered what I'd long been totally ignoring; traditionals. I was hesitant at first but once I got over that "no lock, no clip" deal, I was hooked and have been looking at them ever since.

For my own knives, 2019 will be the year of Case, SAK, and maybe a GEC or Lion Steel offering. I hope to also own at least one French offering, probably a Chambriard Compact, and then there are the Italian and Spanish offerings and the Swedes and Norwegians. Oh that wood!

Yes sir, I'm going back to my roots and it is exciting!

May all of you have a year of good health and enjoyment and may our biggest worries be whether or not a Medford can cut. :)

I have no defined knife wants or planned purchases for the new year at this point. I usually start around March with something new. But, I am hoping to delay that at least a couple months this year.

I was so excited when KSF moved to my area this past year..... been there once.

I think I will give a try to a ZT0393 and to a half track with the triway pivot. Not sure if I will take one or both however since they are quite expensive.

I am waiting for the Kizer zipslip vanguard to be released

I like the WE pleroma, not my usual style of blade but I would like to try this one

Depending of my founds and on availability I would like to try a shirogorov Hati or hation

Not sure but maybe a BM bugout as I like the look of the dlc/of version... but not sure on this one

I am waiting also for shot show to see what will be released by Reate

Hard to say. I told myself that given the number of knives I have now, I won’t buy a new one without selling an existing one. That’s really hard to do since I generally love the ones I have. We’ll see how it goes and who offers a new model or variant that forces my hand.

Last edited:
Well , here's my list of "next to buy" :
- Crusader Forge VIS Metro
- Manix2 20CV/red G10
- Praetorian S90V
- 187 DP S90V
- Subvert
- ZT 0640
- Yojimbo2 S90V

I'm currently interested in thick overbuilt folders under $800.
Me too:thumbsup:

Back