Knives for employees

Found a Rat 2 in pink handle and aus8. it shows 1/2 the weight and $12 less than all the D2 models. Is there a reason on the weight, or is that a mismark?

The guys may not love the pink, but I bet it keeps them from taking them home and losing it! LOL
I don't think the RAT2 has been offered in D2. You may be looking at stats for RAT Model 1 in D2?

For this purpose I'd say to go with the RAT 2. The price is right, the size is right, the quality vs. price is right and they tend to look a lot less "aggressive" than many of the Kershaws and Cold Steels that others are suggesting.

Perhaps even a better option for less money would be some Rough Rider slip joints?

Well a utility knife will cut a hose just fine. Old sailor's trick, wet the blade or spray with WD-40 and you'll be surprised how well it cuts rubber.

For that environment I would suggest a small fixed from Mora.

+1 for the Buck. They come in three or four sizes, are very affordable, and are very comfortable to use. They also come in several handle colors.

So in my business, I need/want everyone to have a knife handy. Like any other tool of the trade, it is something they should have available.
I felt the same way until I purchased knives for my workers to use on the job. That lasted about a month and then they started asking to borrow my knife again. I will buy no more knives for my workers. Some things employees just need to provide themselves. If an employee likes to carry a knife, they will. If not, they won't carry one you gave them regardless.

Can't see why one hand opening is needed in a Vet clinic. You mentioned cutting boxes rope and I would guess bags of dog food & such.
Opinel #6, big enough,light, easy to sharpen, great slicer, & the best part- Cheap to replace if lost.:thumbsup:

I can see one handed being beneficial, I'm sure scenarios occur where a tech is holding onto an animal and needs to cut something. Out where I live vets make house calls for farm animals, sometimes they get tangled up and while trying to stop them from hurting themselves you may need to cut them free.

I recommend the waved kershaws, cheap and can deploy from the pocket if up on a ladder and holding something or one hand is busy.

Leatherman Raptor cutting sheers.
as long as you keep them dry after use they shouldnt rust. used over knives for EMT's and other first responder fields.

oh nevermind, the price is out of range. but still a really good option if you had the budget.
51-raptor.png

Vet clinic. We all do it all. Mostly small animal, but some large(usually horses). I have had to cut leads off down horses in trailers, on down the line. It is not just the vet work, but all the work around the clinic in a small business. Yard work we deal with. "Basement chores' like replacing or fixing washers and dryers etc. We are jacks of all trades here, or Jills of all trades too. Putting new hose ends on the hoses. You name it

Those shears are a great idea I was thinking a rescue type knife would be great especially working with animals (less chance of piercing and made for just your purpose), as far as cost goes you could have your employees buy them out of their own pocket? or subsidize the cost for something that's higher priced.

Ontario Rat 2, Byrd Meadowlark 2, Enlan/Bee L05, all come to mind. You are not going to get long edge retention for $25, or very few choices at least.

Byrd Meadowlark. It is inexpensive, lightweight, and designed to cut very well. Also comfortable in hand.

On second thought, have you researched all the possible downsides of giving your employees bladed instruments instead of safety cutters? OSHA Reportables are never fun...

Many suggestions above are nice, OHO, not super heavy and inexpensive:

$10: SRM 7010, Omuda, HARNDS Nyx, many SanRenMus and Ganzo,
$20: Byrd series, RAT series, Kershaws (Chill, OSO, Cryo, Shuffle, Amplitude, Strobe, Kuro, etc.), KaBar Doziers, ESEE Avispa and ESEE Zancudo, Ganzo Knives, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, Leatherman Crater
$30: More Byrds and Kershaws, Utilitac II, Cold Steel Pro-Lite, Cold Steel Voyagers,

20170516_120755_zpsvnzznlvt.jpg

20170420_102948_zps5kwrrwe0.jpg

If OHO is not a need, Opinels, SAKs and similar classics are a sure bet and a nice investment

Oho is important in my mind. The shears and rescue blades would work in most cases. We had one incident with a lariat. Would those sheer go through 1/2 inch nylon lariat rope easily?

Right now, I just want each to have a blade of some sort.

I know osha and worker's comp crap is an issue, but damn, at some point people just have to grow up and use a little sense.

These people all have large bandage scisors. This is about things scissors don't cut well, but the more I think about it, the more I think they can deal with the oso. For lord's sake, my 14 year old daughter carries one.

I think the problem is not the type of knife, it's your employees. If I was a construction site foreman I wouldn't have to worry about what kind of hammer should I get for my workers? When your employees are faced in a situation where they need a cutting tool and don't have one but seem to get by ok, then perhaps they don't need a knife afterall.

Buck bantam or bucklite Max, both are American made with bucks pretty good 420hc and they only cost 20$.
They hold a pretty decent edge and ate easy to sharpen.

For about 25$ I'm not sure of any other American made one hand openers. I'm also not sure that you'd get a better steel.

I bought the crew cold steel lock backs a couple of Christmas's ago (pushing barges). I found one outside by the paint locker and one left on the stern both outside in the elements. One was left on a shelf in the galley. You know the old saying " you can lead a whore to culture but you can not make her think" oh wait...

Buck Bantam, model 285
Theres a site that shall go unnamed, where you can get them for $15 delivered.

3" blade, and only 2.4oz, with a strong backlock that they won't have to worry about. It's also USA made, and uses bucks excellent Bos HT 420HC. I feel like it's tailor made for exactly your criteria.

Back