Knives from Louisiana makers

dredd8

Gold Member
Since I was born and raised and still live in Louisiana I have decided to try and add a knife by each Louisiana maker to my collection and I thought I would share them with you here.

Only have 10 different LA. makers right now but I'm getting there. Louisiana has some great makers here.

Reggie Barker-Springhill, LA.
standard.jpg

Ben Bischoff-Eunice, LA.
standard.jpg

Wild Bill Caldwell-West Monroe, LA.
standard.jpg

Melvin Cormier-Jennings, LA.
standard.jpg

Fred Durio-Opelousas, LA.
standard.jpg

Randall Evans-Slidell, LA.
standard.jpg

Dan Graves-Shreveport, LA.
standard.jpg

Shiva Ki-Baton Rouge, LA.
standard.jpg

Joe Provenzano-Chalmette, LA.
standard.jpg

Michael Sanders-Ponchatoula, LA.
standard.jpg

P.S. If somebody knows of anyone selling, send them my way. On the lookout for fixed blades by:
Frank Vought
Dean Roath
Chris Marks
Kermit Laurent
Fred Durio
Howard Faucheaux
Charlie Dake

Last edited:
One of my favorites, the late Frank Vought of Hamond, LA, made a helluva good knife and was quite a character.

IMHO, he was one of the pioneers of the benchmade or mid-tech knives with his 'Outfitter' line in their Kydex sheaths.

The small fixed blade has a 6" blade to give an idea of the blade on that big 'un. ;)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Darrin Sanders is In your state as well and has some nice knives. Hes actually working on a custom for me right now. Hes a super nice guy too.

Great thread idea. Thank you!

Charlie Dake: I've always enjoyed his folders, especially his dual-action covert button ones.

This one came my way for photography, and never left. Had to have it!

orig.jpg

Dudley--I have been on the lookout for a piece by Mr. Vought, not an Outfitter knife, but one of his early customs.
TJ--Looking at a few of his pieces now.
Coop--Since I only have 3 folders in my entire collection I would love to own an old fixed blade from Mr. Dake.
Joe--hmmmm....I did not know that. Thanks

P.S. If somebody knows of anyone selling, send them my way. On the lookout for fixed blades by:
Frank Vought
Dean Roath
Chris Marks
Kermit Laurent
Fred Durio
Howard Faucheaux
Charlie Dake

Last edited:
Steven,

I applaud your focus, and your knives.
Everyones knives.
Some fantastic makers from Louisiana.
The thread quickly snowballed to terrific.
Thanks,

Doug

Chris Marks Lived up here near me for a while, good dude!

He got into making and sell damascus to other makers, but I don't think he makes knives anymore.

Jim Mustin of Cajun Knives was really one of the great pioneers in Louisiana. Sid Latham's Knifes & Knifemakers Book of the Mid 70"s is full of his great knives.

Since I was born and raised and still live in Louisiana I have decided to try and add a knife by each Louisiana maker to my collection and I thought I would share them with you here.

Only have 10 different LA. makers right now but I'm getting there. Louisiana has some great makers here.

Reggie Barker-Springhill, LA.
standard.jpg

Ben Bischoff-Eunice, LA.
standard.jpg

Wild Bill Caldwell-West Monroe, LA.
standard.jpg

Melvin Cormier-Jennings, LA.
standard.jpg

Fred Durio-Opelousas, LA.
standard.jpg

Randall Evans-Slidell, LA.
standard.jpg

Dan Graves-Shreveport, LA.
standard.jpg

Shiva Ki-Baton Rouge, LA.
standard.jpg

Joe Provenzano-Chalmette, LA.
standard.jpg

Michael Sanders-Ponchatoula, LA.
standard.jpg

Frank Vought
Dean Roath
Chris Marks
Kermit Laurent
Fred Durio
Howard Faucheaux
Charlie Dake
Hi,
I'm actually from Eunice, you know how to get in touch with mr bischoff?? It'd be cool to meet a local maker.
Thanks,
G.

Doug--Thanks my friend
Don--Yes sir, would love to get my hand on a Marks piece, and you are right, he doesn't make knives anymore, just damascus.
G--PM sent

Dan graves taught me a lot! Darren also makes some nice knives!

I use to sell some but past year or so just been trying new things out and doing charity event knives. Get to enjoy making them and then double pleasure of helping some good groups! Here is a tapered tang I did a while back.

BTW please keep us updated on your collection love the idea of a Louisiana maker collection!!!!

What about Robert Capdepon? I inherited a beautiful 6" fixed blade made by him. It came with his card that says Carencro, La.

Cbr--That's a nice lookin' piece...and I will keep this updated as I acquire new pieces.

Blackie--Yes, Robert and Randy make great knives too. As well as Mr. Sidney Moon.....Still have a ways to go on my Louisiana collection.

Frank Vought
Dean Roath
Chris Marks
Kermit Laurent
Fred Durio
Howard Faucheaux
Charlie Dake

orig.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Terry Primos, not currently making to my knowledge. This is my favorite image of his, I've got one of his hunters.

Thanks guys
Just picked up a piece by Terry Primos.....will post pics when it comes in.....
and yes, Mr. Randall is on my list too

Back