Knives from Louisiana makers

Guild member Marvin Winn, formerly of Frisco, TX, now lives in Louisiana. Nice fella, nice knives.
winn_marvin.jpg

Added another Louisiana maker to the collection. Here is one by Mr. Terry Primos from Shreveport

medium800.jpg

Two more Louisiana makers to add to the collection.

Kermit Laurent-Laplace
medium800.jpg

Ron Goulas-Breaux Bridge
medium800.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that there's still knifemakers practicing their art there. When we started the Louisiana Knifemakers Association about 1980 or 81 we only had about twenty members and one damn fine engraver (Sam Alfano). You missed several makers names, Calvin Boudreaux from Jeanerette, Howard Faucheaux from Loureauville, Dennis de Priest from Sunset and me, Stewart Crawford from Morgan City and later from Jeanerette.

I'm glad to see that there's still knifemakers practicing their art there. When we started the Louisiana Knifemakers Association about 1980 or 81 we only had about twenty members and one damn fine engraver (Sam Alfano). You missed several makers names, Calvin Boudreaux from Jeanerette, Howard Faucheaux from Loureauville, Dennis de Priest from Sunset, Rudy Wehner from Metarie and me Stewart Crawford from Morgan City and later from Jeanerette.

Stewart--No disrespect but some of those makers must be before my time or at least my knowledge. I have heard of Mr. Faucheaux and Mr. Alfano. Thanks, I will add these makers names to my "look for" list

P.S. What happened to the Louisiana Knifemakers Association? There are a couple makers on here trying to start up some kind of LA. maker/collector organization.

Dredd, I really don't know what became of it. I had to leave in 1987 to move to Texas to earn a living and never heard anything further about it. It was the same with the South Louisiana Bluegrass Association. I started it in 1985 and when I left in87 is just sort of went away. I wish you well trying to start another Knifemakers Association. Just remember you always need but seldom get more braves than chiefs.

Added another Louisiana maker to the collection. Here is one by Mr. Terry Primos from Shreveport

medium800.jpg
Cool, Steven.
Always wanted to give one of Terry's Platypus' a try, couldn't find one.
A shame he quit making knives, always dug his stuff.

Doug

Doug--Yea, don't come across Terrys' knives very much so I scooped that one up when I had the chance.

Steven,

Thanks for the PM, and the linky. :thumbup:
Gonna' check it out now.
You have some great stuff, and not just from the Louisiana makers.

I still have that Camerer stag S guard I got from you.
Sorry for the OT. :)

Doug

Hi Dredd,

I've had this Frank Vought knife for a while. 'Got it from a jazz musician from New Orleans. He bought it new, at a table at a jazz festival, but I never asked when.
I regret never using it, but I shouldn't start now.

I just "joined" this forum today, to respond here, and it appears that I can't post photos. Perhaps only after a certain number of posts will I be able to upload pics.

It's a shame. It's a pretty custom. You almost never see them. I can post on another knife forum gallery(get it? Watch me get banned on my first post). I meant to, but never got around to it.

Sal

Rick--I took care of that James Wiggins problem today, just bought one. Will post pics when it comes in.
Doug--Rub it in about that Camerer huh....lol....if you ever think about selling, give me first dibs.
Sal--Welcome to the forums, would love to see the Vought knife

Last edited:
Cocky-- yea, Sidney is another great Louisiana maker. I have owned a few of his pieces in the past but don't currently have one.

Just letting you know Rudy Wehner also lived in Violet La. I have one of his knives bearing that knifemaker's mark.

Here is some info on other La. makers. There is Harold Castille and his son Kevin who have Attakapa Knives. Both custom makers in Lafayette. There is also Soc Grisaffe out of New Iberia.

Back