Photos Knives of the Hot Zone

Cold Steel Black Talon 2 , plain edge . Great SD knife but also a very good and precise box/package opener ,and slicer of string , rope , plastic zip ties and straps . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is my dedicated knife for opening all incoming mail , packages , boxes etc that may be contaminated with covid 19 .

After using , it gets disinfected or is set aside where it can't spread the virus .

Today it opened some boxes of bulk paper products , TP and paper towels , which will sit out in the car for a day or two before being declared "clean" enough to come inside .

Maybe going overboard a bit , but we are old and really don't want to risk infection .

Exposure to nice hot sun , heat and UV is very good to kill most infectious microbes .

1. Your car will not get hot enough to kill the virus.
2. Car windows often protect from UV, even if clear (the plastics used in lamination for safety can provide UV protection). Factory tint may or may not, most any quality aftermarket tint will.
3. Even if your car windows have zero UV protection, it really doesn't matter as only UV-C will (probably) kill the virus. Moot point, because if there was enough UV-C reaching us from the sun, we'd all be dead too, and crispy.

Cold Steel Black Talon 2 , plain edge . Great SD knife but also a very good and precise box/package opener ,and slicer of string , rope , plastic zip ties and straps . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is my dedicated knife for opening all incoming mail , packages , boxes etc that may be contaminated with covid 19 .

After using , it gets disinfected or is set aside where it can't spread the virus .

Today it opened some boxes of bulk paper products , TP and paper towels , which will sit out in the car for a day or two before being declared "clean" enough to come inside .

Maybe going overboard a bit , but we are old and really don't want to risk infection .

Exposure to nice hot sun , heat and UV is very good to kill most infectious microbes .

The kid on the Angel Soft package kinda looks like a jarhead.

In on 1

2. Car windows often protect from UV, even if clear (the plastics used in lamination for safety can provide UV protection). Factory tint may or may not, most any quality aftermarket tint will.
3. Even if your car windows have zero UV protection, it really doesn't matter as only UV-C will (probably) kill the virus. Moot point, because if there was enough UV-C reaching us from the sun, we'd all be dead too, and crispy.

Clear glass, CR39 plastic and polycarbonate all block over 90% of UV light. :thumbsup:

Thanks for this info , might be news to somebody ? :rolleyes:

The time spent in the car is simply time out of the way . Time kills the virus and every thing else ! ;)

"When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The temperature inside a closed car rises most quickly during the first 15 minutes that it is left in the sun, according to the CDC." according to a news article that could be true or maybe fake news .

If out in the sun , a car can get pretty dang hot and most certainly would shorten the half-life of virus survival . But my SUV is in the carport . :p

Full summer sun can sterilize water over time , so I guess it must kill stuff just fine ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sterilizing+water+with+sunlight&t=osx&ia=web

Many people have died from "exposure" at sea , part of the cause might be the very severe sunburn possible on the water with no shelter or shade ? :confused:

Last edited:
The kid on the Angel Soft package kinda looks like a jarhead.

In on 1
I have a lot of respect for them "jarheads" , and would hesitate to use that term in a derogatory fashion for fear of getting my butt kicked . :eek:

I think my regular brand has some kind of red or blue cartoonish bears , surely no better ! :p

SAK for me...and I’m working with my Guard unit at a soldiers home dealing with an outbreak.

Have an Emerson I brought but it’s at the hotel...no need to coronafy it...

Charlie Mike

I'll trade you everything in that backseat for my NIB, limited collectors edition, hand forged*, numbered 1 of 1, certificate of authenticity signed by me .. Mtech folder.

mtech_happy_blue.jpg

You pay shipping both ways.

* maybe not ...

...The time spent in the car is simply time out of the way . Time kills the virus and every thing else ! ;)

Just to be picky... virus don't die, as they are not live organisms such as the bacterias. They just desintegrate once the lipidus cover/protection they have is compromised. :p:p

That's why they recommend to wash your hands so much. Is not only because you rinse it away from your skin, but also because the soap (any surfactant to be precise) destroys that lipidus cover, then they just ... poooof!

Alcohol is also a great degreaser, hence the use of all those alcohol gels.

Given enough time, the lipidus cover degrades by itself, so leaving it alone for a couple days also get's rid of it.

I just talked to a cooworker yesterday who is working right now in Israel and he was doing pretty much the same thing as you do. He did some shopping on friday, left the bags in a room for a few days and yesterday was about to organize all the items.

Mikel

Thanks for this info , might be news to somebody ? :rolleyes:

The time spent in the car is simply time out of the way . Time kills the virus and every thing else ! ;)

"When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The temperature inside a closed car rises most quickly during the first 15 minutes that it is left in the sun, according to the CDC." according to a news article that could be true or maybe fake news .

If out in the sun , a car can get pretty dang hot and most certainly would shorten the half-life of virus survival . But my SUV is in the carport . :p

Full summer sun can sterilize water over time , so I guess it must kill stuff just fine ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sterilizing+water+with+sunlight&t=osx&ia=web

Many people have died from "exposure" at sea , part of the cause might be the very severe sunburn possible on the water with no shelter or shade ? :confused:
You must not live in Calif. , a pal of mine got a $600 window smashed for some change in his console.

sad part is, I imagine that would happen even pre-pandemic... tweakers gotta tweak :(

only frightening part is, in some places, they are 1 day away from rioting... imagine if the only isp went down for 24 hours?
or if the aid payments don't happen in the next couple of weeks?
I seriously hope neither of those things happen but it's good to understand when a situation gets 'hot'

sad part is, I imagine that would happen even pre-pandemic... tweakers gotta tweak :(

only frightening part is, in some places, they are 1 day away from rioting... imagine if the only isp went down for 24 hours?
or if the aid payments don't happen in the next couple of weeks?
I seriously hope neither of those things happen but it's good to understand when a situation gets 'hot'
It happened just before the pandemic. It's so common there the police don't even come out to do a report.

Hot zone knife is waved Endura for when rioting breaks out. Plus, I can still run ok for an old guy. Otherwise, I just bring those grunts in and roll the dice. Regular hand washing is good. Stay safe and distant.

Seeing stuff like "leave toilet paper in your mini-van to disinfect" makes me shake my head. Add in the very rigorous "day or two" time frame and you might ripen a tomato but you won't do much else.

If this thread was meant as a joke then there are a couple spots for that. If this is a serious thread then the Darwin Awards need your address Stat; you may have already won.

Back