Knives similar to Kershaw Scallion

Just wondering if there are any folding knives with a similar blade shape to the Kershaw scallion that are three or more inches and length with preferably a tip up carry position. I own the knife in the past and I really liked it except for it was just too small and the fact I couldn't carry it tip up got annoying pretty quick

The blur is quite a bit similar. Did Ken onion collab any knives with other makers that even more resemble a larger scallion?

The Chive, Scallion, Leek, Shallot and Blur were all designed by Ken Onion and are considered all part of the same family that shares (to a greater/lesser degree) his classic recurve blade shape.

The Shallot (1840) has a 3.5" blade. The Blur (1670) has a 3.375" blade. The clips on both the Shallot and Blur are reversible for tip up or down carry.

All of them, except the Shallot which was discontinued in 2017, are still sold by Kershaw, which is unfortunate because I think the Shallot was the best of the bunch.

Here's a pic of the 1st one that I purchased back in the late 90's or early 2000's, I forget exactly when.

iu

Anyway, I end up losing that one but bought it back along w/6 others to create a nice mini-collection of Shallots.

Although discontinued, the Shallot can still be found in the 2ndary market. In "new" or "like new" condition, the basic black/silver models will cost you around $100-150 (rarer versions can cost much more).

It will probably take you some time to find one. I've seen the them most often on EB. In fact, that's where I bought most of mine.

I only recall seeing a couple offered here on BF in the past 2-3 years. In fact, they were a pair of silver/black Shallots w/ damascus blades, which are extremely rare and were being offered for a very low price. I had to pay a lot more later for mine.

A new Blur sells for around $75-100 depending on the type of steel and style. It is widely available from online dealers. So, if you want a Kershaw over 3" that's currently in production that shares the same design/lineage as the Scallion, your only other choice is the Blur.

iu

Last edited:
The radical option is zt200.

Well, if we are talking about more radical Ken Onion variants, that would certainly include the ZT 200 & 300 and then there are the Kersahaw Boa (1840) or Spec Bump (15/95/1596). And, if you really want to go crazy, there's also the Offset (1597).

These are all discontinued, very hard to find in good condition and relatively expensive when you do BUT they are all extremely collectible and are a part of my collection, if that's what you are into, as am I.

Then again the ZT 0350, also designed by Onion, is still in production. It has a 3.25" recurve blade and is much larger in the pocket and about 2x's more expensive than the Kershaw Blur but it's something else the OP "might" want to consider.

iu

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions! Quite a few designs I haven't heard of. I have a zt 0200 that I love the way it looks, feels, and functions but it doesn't get as much pocket time as it should because it is quite heavy and on the larger size. Kinda wish I picked up a shallot a couple years ago when Kershaw guy had them on closeout right before they discontinued it. I think the slick scales might have been the reason I didn't so maybe I should look harder into the 0350 before they get discontinued. I really think a scallion blade stretched out to 3-3.25 inches with dlc coating g10 scales and tip up clip would be a nice carry :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! Quite a few designs I haven't heard of. I have a zt 0200 that I love the way it looks, feels, and functions but it doesn't get as much pocket time as it should because it is quite heavy and on the larger size.

FWIW, I just discovered that the Kershaw 1595G10 (the cheaper version of the 1596 which is the better one to have from a collector's perspective that I neglected to mention above) is actually still avalable from the Knife Center (a Forum sponsor) here.

It's similar in shape to the ZT0200 but it is lighter/thinner and obviously much cheaper than the 0200 or 0350. You might want to take a look at it as well.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2tlcnNoYXcvaW1hZ2VzL0tTMTU5NUcxMF8xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogNzYwLCJoZWlnaHQiOiA0MTUsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

BTW, I own a variety of 0200's (and 0300's) and IMO, for EDC, they are best carried on your belt in a ballistic nylon or leather sheath. There are vendors on EB and etsy who actually make/sell nylon/leather sheaths specifically for these knives.

Last edited:
Too bad it's tip down only. Not quite as pretty blade shape as a 0200. Maybe I should just man up and carry my 0200 more. Have it in the pocket today. For 1/2 pound and the size it is it does carry pretty well but you never forget it's on you haha

Well, if we are talking about more radical Ken Onion variants, that would certainly include the ZT 200 & 300 and then there are the Kersahaw Boa (1840) or Spec Bump (15/95/1596). And, if you really want to go crazy, there's also the Offset (1597).

These are all discontinued, very hard to find in good condition and relatively expensive when you do BUT they are all extremely collectible and are a part of my collection, if that's what you are into, as am I.

Then again the ZT 0350, also designed by Onion, is still in production. It has a 3.25" recurve blade and is much larger in the pocket and about 2x's more expensive than the Kershaw Blur but it's something else the OP "might" want to consider.

iu

Gotta include the SpyKer as well if you're talking about "out there" Onion designs!

You're really making me miss my old Boa, though - that was a great design and well-executed in production.

The Ken Onion CRKT Outrage looks similar to the Shallot and is readily available. CRKT though...

Last edited:
Did Ken Onion design the Kershaw Clash? It'd be the perfect knife if the gfn handles didn't look so cheap, the pocket clip was more basic looking, and if the blade was a better steel with dlc instead of black oxide. Which basically would make it a 0350 haha

Did Ken Onion design the Kershaw Clash? It'd be the perfect knife if the gfn handles didn't look so cheap, the pocket clip was more basic looking, and if the blade was a better steel with dlc instead of black oxide. Which basically would make it a 0350 haha

Yes, he did and, yes, it's cheap.

I've got a couple (not sure why) but not for much longer. As is generally the case, you get what you pay for.

But the Clash is a far cry from a ZT0200, ZT0350 or even a Blur.

I've got them all and if what you want is a knife you can abuse and then throw away, then the Clash is the one for you. ;)

Well, I caved in the other day and threw down a super low bid on a clash I didn't really care to win but did lol. It's a black oxide, non serrated blade with old style Kershaw logos and was near new. I stand my comment on the cheap frn feeling cheap but I put a strip of grizzly skateboard tape on the thumb side when pulling out of pocket feels much better to me. The blade steel came razor sharp, must have been a batch with good heat treatment too because it's actually impressed me. Locks up solid. In use the clip doesn't bother me actually, I run it tip up. Blade wasn't perfectly centered but not rubbing, and out of all my knives this one is actually the fastest and most reliable to deploy. A good work knife for sure. That being said I still sure wish I could find a non serrated black shallot that wasn't $200+. I hesitated back when they were heavily discounted right before they were discontinued, think a kershawguy blem was like $40 and a non blem not much more. Kills me how people are charging an arm and leg now

Last edited:
Have you checked out the Kershaw Knockout? Kershaw Guy has some blemished Knockouts that might help scratch your Shallot itch.

So I decided to try and modify the ugly frn scales that come on the clash lol. I sanded it down with rough grit to give it a texture, I think it has a much more classy, cleaner look to it now. It kinda feels and looks like a soft black wood but is also a little more grippy.

picture142700.jpg

Last edited:
Back