knives you love but almost never carry of use.

MolokaiRider wrote:
"On the regular pocket clips like on the Recon, Lawman, etc. do you just bend it out to loosen it? I still want to make sure the clip contacts the scale."[/QUOTE]

I usually do what Alberta Ed does. Why does it have to touch the scale? I perfer to hold it up and see light between the clip and the scale or frame depending on the knife. Sliding 1 or 2 pieces of paper between the clip and what it would normally touch has never been a problem for me. Never had a knife come out of the pocket with a clip adjusted this way. Helps the wear on the pocket also.

My swing gaurds, i love them. I mad collect them, never carry them. I love there uniqueness but like other knives for practical carry.

My swing guards, i love them. I mad collect them, never carry them. I love there uniqueness but like other knives for practical carry.
I'd love to see some pics.

My only swing guard is a manual Case Cheetah that I actually manage to carry sometimes because it just fits in a William Henry clipped pocket slip that I have.

If it sits, it sells. Thus, my collection is small. Under 10 knives. It’s not a money thing as much as I am more of a pragmatist than a collector. The reason I keep buying and selling is simply to experience knife variety. Maybe someday that magical knife will land in my pocket and my search will be over.

Not holding my breath.

I have way too many knives that I don't carry and rarely dig out to look at. An example is I have >10 Vic Alox Pioneers in different yearly release colors that just sit in the original boxes. My beater Vic is an Alox Rancher that sees a lot of carry time. Same thing applies to multiple GEC slipjoints that are still in the tubes and will never be carried.

The big thing is taking the time to take pictures and sell all the knives that I don't carry. At this point I have >$3000 worth of unused knives that should be sold or gifted so I can put that money towards something useful like paying my $10K property tax bill that's coming up in December!! :(

I would love to own one of those, but all I would do is fondle it. That's probably enough. But I resist spending that kind of money on a knife I know I won't use.
The secret to using your larger knives is to develop a cinnamon roll habit.
Find some place that makes rolls too big to eat in a sitting (actually when I was running marathons and riding my bike like a mad man I would eat one or two of these a day right out of the paper bag). Those days are gone. Now I whittle at one and make it last days.

Of course you have to sneak up on it and kill it first . . .
WATCH OUT SHE'S WHEELING ON US ! ! !

IMG_3473.JPG

They're dangerous but good eating so worth the effort to track them down.
IMG_3474.jpg
IMG_5020.jpg

Last edited:
Flippers
I love to play with them but in pocket the flipper tab reeks havoc with my phone and wallet which shares the same space.
pfffffh
Phones
Wallets
both over rated if you ask me.
Ditch the phone and you will have more money for knives.
Leave the wallet at home and you won't be able to buy a new knife.
Win / Win :p

I have a ton of safe queens...mostly sprint runs of ZT’s or older models that are hard to find now... 0095TS, BLK, tan/blk...0452ti, 0452tiblu, 0452g10, 0900blu, 0900gold, 0561, 0350cfm390, 0200, 0200kw... many more

I have a lot of very nice knives but it seems that as I get older my preference in knives gets smaller. I lost my favorite Mini Ritter Grip in M4. Now carrying a Fantoni Hide which is an amazing knife. Rides and handles small but actually is middle of road size.

.... .... paying my $10K property tax bill that's coming up in December!! :(

if you're paying that much a year, perhaps it's a good time to question whether the city provides near $1k of services a month? Personally, I'd rather spend that kind of $ on my own generator, well/pump, septic setup

it's getting stupid, the worst are the people that pay over $1k monthly in condo strata fees, even AFTER they own the place, on top of taxes lol

Opinel's for certain, used a lot in the kitchen, but not carried... only the odd occasion for a picnic

MolokaiRider wrote:
"On the regular pocket clips like on the Recon, Lawman, etc. do you just bend it out to loosen it? I still want to make sure the clip contacts the scale."

I usually do what Alberta Ed does. Why does it have to touch the scale? I perfer to hold it up and see light between the clip and the scale or frame depending on the knife. Sliding 1 or 2 pieces of paper between the clip and what it would normally touch has never been a problem for me. Never had a knife come out of the pocket with a clip adjusted this way. Helps the wear on the pocket also.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the idea, I’ll give it a shot and see how it works.

I guess my intitial thought on keeping the clip contacting the scale was based on my experience with a Ontario Rat 1 clip. Different clip tension than the Cold Steel for sure. I found I had to keep bending the Rat clip to tighten after using in over a week or so.

Since the Cold Steel has a much stiffer clip I’ll give your methods a whirl and see how she goes.

Thanks again!

If it sits, it sells. Thus, my collection is small. Under 10 knives. It’s not a money thing as much as I am more of a pragmatist than a collector. The reason I keep buying and selling is simply to experience knife variety. Maybe someday that magical knife will land in my pocket and my search will be over.

Not holding my breath.

Nope. It won’t. Besides there tends to be different pocket knives for different scenarios.

I don't have anything that I won't carry, but I tend not haul my ZT0600 much and my traditionals only really come along with me sporadically. The former is just heavy, while the lack of a pocket clip on the latter hinders their edc-ability for me on a basic level. Coincidentally, I just found a nicely made leather belt pouch under a chair in the hotel I'm staying in for work :confused: that I'm looking forward to trying.

This one. I love the knife - looks awesome, flips great - but, for whatever reason, it doesn't find itself in my pocket very often. (It will be there, today)
2VAgOsh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm another that buys knives to be used. However, there are a few that I know I simply can't replace if lost. I carried and used my Mad Dog PATAK for over a decade from the jungles in South America, to Northern Africa, Iraq, and Afghanistan, along with more field exercises than I can remember. I will carry it around the house or if out and about, but it isn't with me in Afghanistan and I don't use it for work anymore.

I will eventually gift it to my son, but it's more a safe queen these days than a user.

ROCK6

My benchmark mini crooked river. I cant get the action super smooth. I am used to my mini grip falling shut when I pull the axis. The crooked river wont do that. Great looking knife though.

Seems like a lot of people like their traditionals but also don't really carry them.

I was one of these folks until I got my hands on a Lionsteel Shuffler from a friend here.

Back