Knives you regret not buying, the one you let get away

I know this is not the same scale as what you guys are talking about, But I remember seeing a schrade sharpfinger, u.s.a., 1095, and it had the sheath I wanted (there were a couple variants.) for really cheap at, I dunno, wallyworld, or one of those type places, must have been around the time schrade was going out os buisness. it was less than 20 bucks. now, I have an old beat one, I got from a flea market, that works fine, and Im sure I could prolly get the one I wanted now if I looked hard enough online. But that feeling, when I heard about schrade closing, and then not being able to find that knife at the place I had been oogling it for the previous couple months was irrationally disheartening. why did I not just buy the thing to begin with, I cannot say. if it had been a $500.00 knife, then I would have a reason, but I think that the fact that it was so inexpensive actually adds to the feeling of regret.

HUGE list. A local collector an author once told me "You only regret the knives you don't buy". He was right. I've been lucky to be able to find a few, like the Mini-Manix after they were discontinued but being far from the US in a country with a currency that's ten to twelve times weaker than the dollar makes hunting for out of production knives hard. So now when I like something and can afford it (even if it means tightening my belt for a little while) I just buy it.

Just to name a couple: BM Gravitator, Spyderco Ronin, BM and Spydie Lum tantos, several models from Camillus before it went under, Kershaw Cyclone and ET (plus a few others), and I could go on with knives from most brands.

There will always be more knives that I like than money to buy them. :D So I'd rather be happy about those I manage to hunt down than dwell on those I can't have.

I regret not buying one of my grails, a Spyderco World Trade Center. It was priced at $475, and I let it slip through. :(

Also I regret not getting a second Leaf Storm, and I wish that I could have snagged a S110V Mule.

Jake Hoback Kwaiback that was posted on the exchange a few weeks ago. I just happened to refresh the page a few seconds after the guy posted the listing. It's one of my grails, and the price was right, but I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. I just can't imagine dropping almost $1700 on a single knife. I have been kicking myself in the butt for letting it get away because I know that IF another one comes up for sale I either won't catch it in time or it'll probably be listed for $2000+.

There has been a small list of both balisongs and autos for me....

Oddly enough there has also been a few that I got later, and was sadly disappointed when I finally DID get my hands on them.

But--probably the knife that haunted me the most was either a Spyderco Szabofly, or a Microtech Katana Daytona....

there are too many of them. Top of my list: spiderco Citadel. I told myself I'll get it later, can't even find it @ the price I saw anymore. next, REI CF 530, I saw it on the website, took shower then logged on, it was gone!
most recently, about 1.5yrs ago, I had a chance to buy NIB Spyderco Valloton under 100, loved loved & loved the knife, but when I saw "Taichung Taiwan" I wasn't sure about the quality. the seller said Taichung makes many of best Spydercos, I didn't trust his word. came home & did some research, then realized the guy was telling me the truth. what a bummer, the knife is long gone!

Well my wallet just got a whole lot lighter than planned, if everything goes well I be out $154 and have the S110V Team Mule a knife I would have regretted not picking up. And the Kershaw Skyline Damascus a knife I regretted not buying years ago as long as my pre-order with Dave goes through and I can snag one. I didn't plan to spend a single dime today instead I spent what is essentially what I spent on knives in the last several years in 1 day on just 2 knives and I have no regrets. For once in my life I think it's a good thing I am single around Valentines day, I couldn't have done this if I were dating.

I think the only other knife I regretted not buying off hand since I should hopefully have "The ONE" that got away, would be the Kershaw Baby Boa. You can still find them, just at about twice what they were once going for, so I need to wait till I have a lot more money to burn for that one. Especially after dropping this much in 1 day most of my spending cash is now gone.

Thank you payton206, can't say that enough.

A spyderco ppt and emerson persian... Both discontinued and still looking for a good deal

One of G L Drew's fighters from last year. I thought about it for just too long, and I've kicked myself on a weekly basis ever since.

I regret every Bud Nealy knife I have sold or neglected to buy. Regret might be a strong word - it's a slight discomfort rather than actual pain - but it applies.

I passed on a Ken Onion Ripple, his mid-tech version. They only sold a few through an exclusive dealer. I've got the production version, but really am sorry I missed the mid-tech. I've been looking for one, but can't find one at a reasonable cost.

A Becker Brute (old one from Camillus) and several William Henry's.

The M4 version of the BM710. I have the regular 710 in D2 and it's a great knife, but I waited too long on the M4. Lesson learned, now when I see a limited knife I want I order it ASAP.

Well my wallet just got a whole lot lighter than planned, if everything goes well I be out $154 and have the S110V Team Mule a knife I would have regretted not picking up.
If, when you get the S110 Mule, you think that you wasted your money and you regret it, I'll buy it from you at the same price if it has no damage.

Now the pressure's off.

A GEC Northfield #23 Pioneer Prototype linerlock in Spiral Buffalo Horn. Had it in the Shopping cart more than once - never pulled the trigger.

Wish I had .

The Toasting Knife
40975_700b_v2.jpg

Warburtons%20Toastie%20Knife%20Layout.jpg

Back