Knives you regret not buying, the one you let get away

I bought a new Spyderco Manix 2 in blue G10 for about $120, then sold it a short while later for what I paid for it. I'd like to get one now, but they are going for $200 or whatever, and Powernoodle ain't paying that. Oh well, at least I'm still good looking.

I can get a manix 2 for less then $60 then after shipping and tax round $80.. Just got my full size grip all black drop point serrated for $80 too.

One that i wish i bought my friend's cousin's issued ka-bar that he carried in afghanistan and killed 7 terrorists with. Hes green beret

When I first really got into knives I had the chance to order a custom CQC6 directly from Emerson. The cost was $325 and the wait time was about 2 years. I even called and spoke to his wife I believe about getting it done with diamond checkering on the micarta scales just as I had seen in an article in Guns magazine called "Combat Cutters". The wait time caused me to procrastinate and I ended up not ordering. A few years went by and he quit taking orders for the custom knives. I still want one but would not pay north of 1k that they go for now. The time of the CQC6 has come and gone.

Last edited:
back in 2005 at a local dealer i let slip a microtech mini socom elite auto in green (jungle?) camo - i bought a microtech scarab d/e in satin finish instead - which was about $1170,-- (gotta love import taxes and customs) - therefore i never use and rarely carry it - would have got more use and carry time out of the mini socom

i import my us made knives myself ever since :D

then was the mick strider custom sng - nightmare grind with trisula - they could be had at almost reasonable prices a few years back (but i felt they were to expensive) - i wish i had bought one of those :grumpy:

The Brown S35VN Para2. I love that color and now it's like 70 dollars more than it was :p And the BM Mini Skirmish

I think I've forced myself to forget all of the ones I regret missing just for the sake of my own sanity. I know there have been dozens, if not hundreds... But I can't remember any of them offhand. Dilution due to how many there have been, or mental repression because of how frustrating it is? Couldn't tell you.

One that i wish i bought my friend's cousin's issued ka-bar that he carried in afghanistan and killed 7 terrorists with. Hes green beret

I wish I had bought the one my friend's, friend's, brother carried in Iraq he killed an entire battalion of Iraqi special forces with his and when he came home he sold it on eBay, but nobody believed him, so it went very cheap. :D

Spyderco PPT. I owned one in the past but sold it. Now I'm valiantly searching for another at a REASONABLE price.

Yup, LONG list.

Most recently, had an opportunity to buy a Coye Ridgeback. Saw it, REALLY liked the design decisions but didn't know the specifics of the knife or the maker then, and by the time I did a little research it was gone. Maybe get the chance again someday, but.. my understanding is that the last time Coye opened up his order book he closed it again as "full" after 24 minutes, the most recent one that hit a dealer's was gone less than 8 minutes after I got the e-mail, and the maker seems much more interested in doing folders right now. Sigh...

Before that? I guess the previous regret is missing the last run of Walter Brend M2 neck knives.

Blind Horse Brumby (not lite) in scandi. Would have preferred to custom-order it in some steel with some chrome in it, though, I'm not-infrequently at or on the water. The Large Workhorse scandi might have been on the list, but I just bought one, don't have it yet.

Maybe a Busse Game Warden.

I don't agree that the only knives you regret are the ones you didn't buy, though. I have drawers FULL of knives, and I'd honestly have to say that I ended up not liking maybe 40% of them, and not carrying or using probably another 40%. That means that I like AND USE maybe 20%. Some very-good knives are just not my favorite in their niche.

I already regret not buying a ZT 300 in general and the 300BW in particular. I know I can still get one, but I can't afford one, and I regret that.

I don't let myself get hung up on the deals I missed, that happens far to often. The only one that really sticks with me is from last fall, there was a LNIB spyderco P'Kal listed for $80, I had to have it, I PM'd the guy and in the process of PM'ing someone else posted "I'll take it" before I could finish typing and send my PM even tho when I viewed the thread his post wast yet made. I was pretty upset at myself for not posting first them PM'ing. The only other one I ever think about is another spyderco, this time a Caly 3 CF/ZDP, this one was one my buddy had in LNIB shape, he would of sold it to me for $75 but at the time I passed cause I thought I really wanted a 3.5, I still want a 3.5 but I should of taken that 3 for 1/2 price when I had the chance. The Caly series went up in price shortly after than and now a $75 ZDP Caly 3 is going to be in well used condition, far from LNIB.

The Toasting Knife
40975_700b_v2.jpg

Warburtons%20Toastie%20Knife%20Layout.jpg

How is that not illegal yet?

Great for murders, cauterizes as you cut.

Last edited:
More of a deal I missed out on rather than a knife. Wharncliffe Case in Abalone... Could have bought a LNIB one from a guy at a gun show for $50. Didn't want to blow my budget 5 minutes into the show... Of course I didn't find shit to buy, but when I came back round to him it was gone.

I don't let myself get hung up on the deals I missed, that happens far to often. The only one that really sticks with me is from last fall, there was a LNIB spyderco P'Kal listed for $80, I had to have it, I PM'd the guy and in the process of PM'ing someone else posted "I'll take it" before I could finish typing and send my PM even tho when I viewed the thread his post wast yet made. I was pretty upset at myself for not posting first them PM'ing. The only other one I ever think about is another spyderco, this time a Caly 3 CF/ZDP, this one was one my buddy had in LNIB shape, he would of sold it to me for $75 but at the time I passed cause I thought I really wanted a 3.5, I still want a 3.5 but I should of taken that 3 for 1/2 price when I had the chance. The Caly series went up in price shortly after than and now a $75 ZDP Caly 3 is going to be in well used condition, far from LNIB.

How is that not illegal yet?

Great for murders, cauterizes as you cut.

I should of patented that when I had the chance. Oh well:D

There are two knives that I wish I would have purchased when I had the opportunity. One was a Randall for Jack Crider (double edged smachet style) and the other was a custom by one of the master bladesmiths. I looked at that knife like 5 times at the Blade show and finally decided I just didn't want to drop the $1000 for a knife that I knew I'd never cut anything with. I had second thoughts later, but am comfortable with my fiscal decision at the time.

In general, I try not to look back when it comes to knives and firearms (buying or selling). It is almost always possible to find another later.

Back