Knives you used in Boy Scouts

Same here, little folder with blue scales and a gold Boy Scouts insignia. Mine was from the seventies though.

Had the standard issue "official" scout knife. Whatever that was. That was a LONG time ago, but I seem to remember it looking like this.
May have also had the cub scout version.
9747405_2.jpg

VWUFREg.jpg

Got one of these at age twelve when I joined the Boy Scouts. It was a dollar cheaper than the one with the the BSA insignia, but the 9th Scout law is “A Scout is Thrifty,” so that was that. I never regretted it. For the next 15 years, I used it for just about everything that needed cut, screwed, poked, and opened, including during my time in the Army, mostly as a can opener for C rations. P38s were too fiddly for me, and as an APC jockey (M113; World’s! Worst! Ride!), I had all the tools aboard needed for that. Friends used to kid me about my knife, called me Zorro. Eventually I gave it to a girl friend who promptly lost it, but I have to admit that by then, it was pretty well rasty looking. The one in this pic was discovered a few years ago by a friend who remembered my knife from the old days, found this one at a flea market and gave it to me for a dollar (always pay for a knife!). I use it from time to time for olde tyme’s sake, but SAKs are so much better.

Last edited:
One of my dads farm Barlows, a knife that showed it's tuff life
The classic red Imperial
Gerber gator
SOG para tool
Swiss Army tinkerer
Spyderco Tim Wegner Jr.

Hi! Besides the ever present SAKs and Opinels, my real first Scout knife was a Linder… Scout :D, similar to the one pictured below (not my picture). It was a present from Mom and Dad when moving from Cub to Scout :). I don’t have the knife any longer but my Dad still have a couple of similar ones in his tool shed. Oh boy, good memories :)!
1z3vwc7.jpg

Had the standard issue "official" scout knife. Whatever that was. That was a LONG time ago, but I seem to remember it looking like this.
May have also had the cub scout version.
9747405_2.jpg
I also have the Cub Scout knife, a 50 year old Camillus, recently refurbished and restored by Rock Cutlery USA. They did an awesome job!

If I'm ever in the Boy Scouts I'll let you know.
What's a Boy Scout ?
I had a guy who worked for us who said he had been in the Boy Scouts. The way the thing went was :
Will you sharpen my knife for me ? I said " You should learn to sharpen your own knife. Buy a stone and I will help you". "If you like I can recommend one".
He said "We learned how to sharpen knives in the Boy Scouts".

He never bought a stone and I never was able to help him.

So . . . you knew it was coming . . .
How many Boy Scouts does it take to sharpen a knife ? ! ?

Good question. I can't speak for people anywhere else but about 20 people I know in the scouts are really good at sharpening and most people in the scouts can barely keep their knife sharp enough to whittle. However when you get into the world of camp staff the knives might be crappy but you can bet they'll be sharp!

I had a standard Boy Scout folder, Camillus I think and a 4-4.5 in fixed blade, Western in think. Both long ago lost or sold by my parents when I went in the Army. I do remember both were bought in the Scout section of the local Monkey Wards!

Buck Lite - in service from 1983 - 1992.

Broke the tip clean off doing typical kid stuff.

Buck_zps3lnttjx2.jpg
I had one of these while I was a scout (picked it up at the Navy Exchange). At different times I had different knives, including an Air force survival knife (now in a bug out bag in my closet) and a SAK (now in my pocket).

Getting a swiss army knife certainly changed how I viewed knife usage while I was a scout; having scissors is truly awesome!

I miss that Buck though, lost it while I was in college. Replaced it with a Spyderco (the first knife I ever had with a pocket clip) and lost it while in college. Replaced it with a Cold Steel Recon 1 and lost it in a motorcycle accident. Now I rotate through a few others but the SAK with scissors makes the rotation pretty often.

I had a single blade barlow, solingen from 7 yrs to 11 yrs
Then I went to the world scout jamboree in 1982 and we made grohmann knife kits in crafts....pretty cool for 12 yrs old
Still have and use that old boy occasionally....always in my kitchen kit and has been loaned for food prep many times

My mother, who as a child wouldn't let me play with any type of toy weapon, bought me a Victorinox Mauser when I joined the Boy Scouts c1987-1988 - great camping knife with an awesome little saw. Mine needs some TLC, the corkscrew is a bit bent but the blades are still sharp with their factory edge, admittedly I haven't used it more than a few times in the last twenty odd years.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Mauser

CQCTOBC.jpg

Last edited:
Used a gerber EVO for 2.5 years, then a CS Recon 1 and a Becker BK11/BK14, until I settled on a Spyderco PM2.

greeting all,
got an "official" scout fixed blade made by western at the scout depot in Chicago in 1963. was the proudest day in my life. really wanted what they called a "kit carson" kit w/hatchet-knife combo. a tad over my limited budget at 12 years old. I don't think that knife left my room for the first 3 months. my first "safe-queen"? couple years later, managed to inflict 8 stitches in my hand with it. anyway, what I wouldn't give to hold that thing today. thanks for the memories. best to all.
mike

I was never in the scouts but my Cousin carried those 1970's era Blue Cub scout Imperial and later a bone Callimus Camp knife his grandfather carried in WW2. I got my Brother in-laws kids both 1960's era Callimus scout knifes in Blue and Green when they were in the Boys and Girls Scouts.
John their Dad said they were the envy of their troops .

In my first life oin Scouting:

Imperial BSA Scout pattern
"
Western L66
Camillus MK II
Ka-bar MK I

feeling like such a wuss
KNIFE-SWISS-SCOUT.jpg

compared to scouts of yesteryear...
guess, the woods were much thicker then too?

Back