Kombucha? Anybody?

Monofletch

Basic Member
My wife has us drinking this stuff. Who would have known fermented tea would be a healthy thing to drink!
Anyway- after spending upwards of $5 a bottle she decided to start brewing her own. We are in the 3rd month brewing our own.....
If you brew your own and have some tips or ideas please post! We are still learning what is good and what isn’t.

I brew some beer occasionally, and I make wine. I’m better with the wine than I am the beer, just because I’ve learned what flavors and grapes mesh well together. The grains I’m still in the process of learning.

Never tried Kombucha, though. I was never a big tea drinker to begin with so fermented tea is way out of my comfort zone, haha. I will say that a lot of it involves experimenting to taste. Keep a log of some sort to see what you did right for one batch, or what you did wrong to another. That really helps out the future brews.

uj0Silq.jpg

Excuse the crappy phone picture, please.

I've considered it but I'm still more comfortable with $2.80 a bottle for the GTs.

One day I'll have to give it a shot though since it really does work some magic.

H Houlahound it is supposed to work wonders for getting your body back to the way it’s should be. It promotes good bacteria which inhibits the bad from growing. We have experienced weight loss, more energy, anti inflammatory properties, better sleep at night. It helps you digest more of the food you take in. It just makes you feel good. Plus it helps with body odor (if you have that issue) :D The list is long.
As for taste..... my wife sips it like a tropical drink- mine is down in 5 seconds! I don’t even want to taste it. I only drink it for the effects.
We have been brewing it for about 4 months. I started drinking it about half of that. It is pretty easy to do. The hardest part is knowing what taste better as a second fermentation (for flavor). Which fruits to add. We have been using a pineapple purée.

Neko2 Neko2 the only problem with the store bought is you don’t know what you are getting. My wife was drinking Kevita Master Brew. They are one of the companies that pasteurize their brew- which doesn’t make sense. GTs is suppose to be one of the best though. Good flavors.

A coworker of mine has been dabbling with it; but, since she started, our schedules haven't crossed often enough to plan on her bringing a sample.

After drinking 1 bottle a day then 2 a day I started feeling the benefits and that’s what keeps me drinking it.

I was hoping someone would post - “do this______- it makes it taste better!”
Until then I will keep using one of those huge smoothly straws! :rolleyes:

I was doin the kombucha for a while... till one day I drank a big old scobi chunk and I havent had the stomach for it since. I hope kefir fills the probiota need.

Sauer kraut us supposed to be just as good and is easier to make and cheaper to buy.

So is kimchi but I can’t eat a bunch of that. The kombucha I can chug it and not have to chew! :D

Hey brosef, long time no see, I love Kombucha and used to brew it, my favorites are Strawberry (really helps mask the vinegariness), Strawberry/Rhubarb, Strawberry/Cacao Nibs. One of my co-workers who makes some of the best I've had made me that Strawberry Rhubarb & highly recommends Blackberry/Lime, a local brewer makes a Grapefruit/Dried Elderberries/Lavendar Buds that's really good. Not sure if you've tried different teas but that can play a big role in the flavor my favorites are Green and Oolongs.. Black teas usually taste the most sour imo, using really good water either triple filtering tap or using your favorite bottled water (I like smartwater) improves taste greatly and then imo the most important factor would be the amount of added sugar and fermentation time (the longer it goes the more vinegary and less sweet it becomes)

Another batch. Apple, cherry and blueberry second fermentation. It should be good! The rest is strawberry and pineapple.

91F25506-13CD-46E7-B568-54FAC436A832.jpeg 4610DEB0-E401-4BDB-83E3-BE1075884B6C.jpeg

22-rimfire 22-rimfire

• Kombucha is a Source of Probiotics
  • Provides the benefits of Green Tea
  • Contains Antioxidants.
  • Can Kill bad Bacteria.
  • Reduce Heart Disease Risk.
  • Help Manage Type 2 Diabetes.
  • Help Protect Against Cancer.
  • Helps maintain gut health
  • Weight loss
  • Healthier skin——The list goes on and on

Back