1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Krup 4116 stainless steel

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by W.T. Beck, Jun 8, 2007.

1. nozh2002

nozh2002 Banned BANNED

Jun 9, 2003
    Pretty simple - most creative CS marketing action was Tanto introduced to US market as Japanese style blade. It has nothing to do with real Samurai Tanto (banned in Japan after WWII), they simplify their production, but presented it as an old Japanese blade style.

This is enough for me to not to trust their marketing any more. However there are some other things they do I do not like. For Example this "Military Classic" or ODA is nothing but cheap replica of Randal#1, as ell as USS cheap replica of SOG Bowie... And so on.

Thanks, Vassili

2. yamato

yamato

Apr 30, 2007
    thanks for your reply I see where you are coming from. Marketing hype can sometimes be a pain.

After reading a bit of the post, seems that Cs doesnt seem to be very popular. Will buy a spyderco someday, it seems very well liked.

Btw, have seen a video of a their GI tanto that was put through the abuse test. tough stufff but that was a carbon steel

3. nozh2002

nozh2002 Banned BANNED

Jun 9, 2003
    They sell knives under their brand from different manufacturers, so some of them pretty good - like laminated blades with VG-1 in core made in Japan (again for some reason they call this as SanMai) or ade by Cammilus in US CarbonV line...

Thanks, Vassili

4. OrangeJoe

OrangeJoe

Jul 13, 2004
    That's the point I was trying to make earlier.

Many here may not like Mr. L.T. but he is certainly not stupid. If he's calling it xyz it's xyz.

Now if it were an xyz analog you can bet your lilly white booty that he would call it Super xyz or Zuper Duper xyz, or xyz Modified or.. you get the point.

5. nozh2002

nozh2002 Banned BANNED

Jun 9, 2003
    Well, I just google it - may be I am not patient enough but all what I found is about CS knives, so it seems like only CS uses this name no other refference.

So dont bet your booty on this...

Thanks, Vassili.

6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    LOL I'm very fond of my booty. I don't bet it on anything.:D

7. bushtucker

bushtucker Banned BANNED

Jun 7, 2007
    Just got my CS Finn Bear knife. This knife is scary sharp! It cut me just by bumping my hand lightly. Solid construction, light weight, good value for the money IMO. Goes into my car as a standby. Perfect.

8. Mai

Mai

Mar 21, 2019
    Good for what purpose? Preparing food in a camp kitchen? OK. Opening boxes? OK. Throwing in a glove compartment? OK. Primary bushcrafting/survival blade? NO! Most people must prioritize where they put their money. Invest in the best you can afford for your primary survival knives. Where it does not really matter, good enough is OK. That being said, a $15 knive is much better than no knife.

9. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    this is a most impressive thread necro for a first time poster - found something from 12 years ago? : P
    [​IMG]

Mo2, sodak and bikerector like this.
  10. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    While this thread stumbles around in undeath, I’d just like to say three things:

1. Krupp 4116 is garbage steel that is generally so soft it’s legitimately more difficult to put an edge on by hand than S30V
    2. CRKT used it in a knife that retails for $130
    3. Cold Steel used it in a knife that retails for less than $10

Edit: MAN are there a lot of banned posters in this thread

bobobama and Mo2 like this.
  11. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    I'm going to defend krupp 4116; it can be heat treated to a decent level, much like 420hc can (and is) by buck.
    The formula is fairly similar to 420hc... so it's really not 'garbage', but because it is often used in budget lines I expect the ht is neglected & kept soft. Thus, edge retention is generally poor in those cases. It should be able to perform close to buck 420hc.

lot's of companies use it for decent kitchen knives: wusthof and henckels (...not saying these are 'high end' but they are also not garbage)
    http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=1.4116

edited to add: here is a maserin santoku in 4116, hrc 57-58 - I expect it will be much better than your cold steel 4116 iterations...
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ME...919pom-mediterraneo-santoku-black-pom-handles

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Mo2 likes this.
  12. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I was noticing the same thing. Maybe that's why this thread died!

13. Mai2

Mai2

May 23, 2019

14. Mai2

Mai2

May 23, 2019
    Thought you had to be over 18.