Review Kukri comparison

I wanted to know which Kukri performed best and did some tests.

The Kukris I used are the SK5 Gurkha Kukri Plus(full flat grind, 5/16"), Carbon V LTC Kukri (full flat grind 3/16") and spring? steel Kukhuri House Operation Iraqi Freedom Kukri(sabre grind 2/5").

The LTC still had it's shaving sharp factory edge, the Plus and Nepalese both had a paper cutting edge.

First of all I used all three to chop through a fresh 4 inches thick willow branch. The Nepalese took 36 chops, the Plus 26 and the LTC 21.

Then I took another branch and chopped ten times with each Kukri.

The LTC chopped deepest, I chopped a bit wider with the Plus but I think I removed about the same amount of wood. The Nepalese was the worst chopper.

Then I tried the same with on a piece of dried (french) oak. 10 Chops with each Kukri.

The resulst were about the same.
The LTC did best, then the Plus and the Nepalese was last again.

When chopping both wet and dry wood, the LTC chopped deeper but was also stuck almost every time. Pushing the handle down freed it without effort. I didn't have any problems with the other two kukris getting stuck in the wood.

Next I batoned some wood. The LTC is to thin, it didn't do well. The edge of the Nepalese is to thick, it didn't cut in the wood well, though the blade was thick enough to baton through if you take the time to get the blade in. The Plus did best, the blade cut immediately in the wood and went through it like through butter.
This is the biggest on I batoned, it is very hard wood (Golden Rain)

Then I made feathersticks.

As you can see, the LTC did best, closely followed by the Plus. The Nepalese did not so good, it worked but it took a lot of trouble to get some small feathers.

Finally I tried to throw sparks with a firesteel.

The Nepalese and the Plus didn't do well. The angle wasn't sharp enough. The LTC performed very well, even with the black coating on the blade. Though it performerd best it is still hard to use such a large blade on a firesteel and get the sparks where you want them. I'll leave the striker on the firesteel and use that in stead of the Kukri.

cutting and stabbing test on plastic bottles.

The LTC and Gurkha Kukri Plus cut perfectly. The Nepalese ripped through the bottle.

The cutting tests were surprising.
As expected, the Gurkha Kukri Plus performed very well.
The LTC, not having a point as sharp as the Plus penetrated as well.
The Nepalese, having no sharp point, penetrated better then expected.

Last edited:
Last I tested my historical kukri against my modern kukri.

End of 19th century/begin 20th century Nepalese Army Kukri.
Mark III Kukri of 1991.
Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri Plus in SK5
Kailash Kukri Mutiny, performance edge.

All sharpened to paper cutting sharp.
Mark III was purchased completely blunt and sharpened to zero edge with secondary bevel.
Edge of the Nepalese Army Kukri was quite thick but cut paper.

Birch was freshly cut.
Other wood was cut a few months ago.

Kailash Mutiny is very light and nimble. It came as a surprise that even with my poor technique and accuracy, the Mutiny chopped best, most accurate and with the least effort.
A perfect balance between mass and speed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the testing I was especially interested in seeing a Kailash in the mix

This is awesome!
It's not often that such a wide range of blades can get done side by side in an experiment like this- it's very valuable.
I think it's clear that cutting geometry was letting some of these blades down. Mass and speed can help overcome it, but it can make the user tired and lead to more hand shock for the user.
Unfortunately it is often overlooked when designing large chopping blades in favour of beefy looks!

Back