Kukri Knives

I'd like to buy a kukri, I want a Cold Steel Gurkha kukri but it's a little out of my price range. I've been looking at the Ontario kukri machete. What are some thoughts on the Ontario or some suggestions for other kukri knives?

Ontarios are good, and Himalayan Imports are really good as well.

Ontario Kukri: :thumbup::thumbup: (KLO to the purists ).

KaBar Kukri Machete: :thumbup::thumbup: (KLO to the purists ).

Both are friggin awesome. Hold a great edge & are heat treated perfectly. No rolling of edges. I own both & have used the snot out of them.

The Ontario and Ka-bar kukri machetes are both good, but they are both that-machetes, not true kukris. You want a true kukri for less than the CS one, look at Himilayan Imports or Khukuri House-real, Nepalese kukris.

I have one for sale :
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...wn-Under-KH-and-some)?p=12770540#post12770540
QHPVb.jpg

I am not a fan of the HI style Kukri, but then i have absolutely no interest in "classic" designs. I prefer streamlined modern designs with modern materials and high quality fit and finish. If i was going to buy another kukri it would be one of these

cs35atcj.jpg

47876611.jpg

kz7.jpg

I am in the minority. Most people seem to like the more classic designs, but i prefer modernized renditions

The Ontario and Ka-bar kukri machetes are both good, but they are both that-machetes, not true kukris. You want a true kukri for less than the CS one, look at Himilayan Imports or Khukuri House-real, Nepalese kukris.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Ontario kukri is a machete. As for KA-BAR, they make two kukris. One is a machete; but the other, called the Combat Kukri, isn't.

+1 for Himalayan Imports
I got 12 Kukris and 9 are from HI. So yes I'm biased, but for a reason.
Most of HI models are made for hard use, backed by a good warranty, look beautiful and handle well.
These are real Kukris and not thin machetes in Kukri shape.
Tell us what you need it for and then ppl here can make better suggestions.

Check out HI as folks have already mentioned, don't have one but have heard nothing but good things about them. :thumbup:
Picked up my first khuk this year, not a HI, but a Custom by Jason Knight, sheath by scabbard smith extraordinaire Paul Long.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

DC

I have the Ontario Kukri, I love it, you can't go wrong with the others that have been sugested but for the money the Ontario is a very good knife.

I am not a fan of the HI style Kukri, but then i have absolutely no interest in "classic" designs. I prefer streamlined modern designs with modern materials and high quality fit and finish. If i was going to buy another kukri it would be one of these

cs35atcj.jpg

47876611.jpg

kz7.jpg

I am in the minority. Most people seem to like the more classic designs, but i prefer modernized renditions

No your not. I feel the exact same way.

At what point does a machete end & a Kukri begin ? At what thickness ? Ontario is 1/4" thick. Kabar is 1/8" & is listed as a machete. I know HI's are & can be substantially thicker but at what point is enough enough ? 1/2", 3/4", 1" ??? If the steel & heat treat are of good enough quality, what is the point. I'm just sayin'. :D

Do you want a kukri or kukri shaped opject? Kukris have really thick blades, they're basically somewhere in between a hatchet and a knife. A lot of "kukris" are actually kukri shaped machetes. There's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want, but you won't use a machete the same way you use a heavy bladed kukri. Himalayan Imports are awesome, the Ontario looks like it has a nice thick blade if you don't like the traditional look.

[/U]

No your not. I feel the exact same way.

At what point does a machete end & a Kukri begin ? At what thickness ? Ontario is 1/4" thick. Kabar is 1/8" & is listed as a machete. I know HI's are & can be substantially thicker but at what point is enough enough ? 1/2", 3/4", 1" ??? If the steel & heat treat are of good enough quality, what is the point. I'm just sayin'. :D
Whats the point? Try to behead a cow with a machete and then with a Kukri.
Kukri is heavier and thus good for chopping like an axe but more versatile because its blade is longer than an axe.
Check real historical Kukris if you want and see how thick they are. A victorian longleaf for example is usually arround 9/32 - 3/8th of an inch :)

If you want a real Kukri, Himilayan Imports is the way to go. Everything else is in the also ran category.

The also rans can and are great knifes for their intended purposes.

I'm more of a one of kind, made one at a time by a skilled borderline magical kami, than a number 6,734 out of 12 million produced off a CNC machine on a factory floor.

But that's just me. No right or wrong answer here, well there is to me but we've already been there.

HI.:thumbup: Nothing else even comes close.

120983699b61c434541e49c71cdc6717

They havent been around this long cause they are pretty...but they are!

If you break or chip a CS you are SOL! Its trash pretty much. Unless you just happen to carry a battery powered bench grinder with you. I did like my CS but when I broke a chunk from the "sweet spot" Things suddenly came into a new perspective. Glad I was not far from home or had to rely on it. I did pull out a 15" Ang Khola from HI and finished the job. Also HI customer service is the finest you will ever get bar none! I speak highly of HI because they absolutely deserve it!

1a164e4eff217f509de58372786fa737

Last edited:
OK, now I'm a traditional kukri guy all the way but this kuk is insane! Love it (can't afford it but love it)

Check out HI as folks have already mentioned, don't have one but have heard nothing but good things about them. :thumbup:
Picked up my first khuk this year, not a HI, but a Custom by Jason Knight, sheath by scabbard smith extraordinaire Paul Long.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

DC

Back