Kukri Knives

Just an aside has anyone been watching Dracula on prime time? One of the Dracula killers uses a pair of Kukris.

Probably because in the Dracula novel, Jonathan Harker not only carried a kukri while hunting Dracula, but used it to slash his throat, before he was finished by a stab to the heart not from a stake, but from a Bowie knife.

I felt fairly certain that I qualified it as my personal, and by extension subjective, definition. Usually, the question of "Is this a khukuri?" rises in the context of knives with a forward curve and a single cutting edge, so I've never felt compelled to rule out machetes, bolos, parangs, barongs, or pangas as khukuris, because of all those only perhaps the bolo or parang will have any kind of a forward curve.
This makes for a segue into another perspective. Let's start with a stricter definition of a khukuri: a knife with a forward-curved blade, single cutting edge on the inside curve, relatively thick spine, differential tempering, handmade Nepali construction, blessing, and a handle constructed from wood, horn or bone (not harvested from a cow), for example. At what point is a khukuri no longer a khukuri and just a KLO? What aspects can we strip away and still call it a khukuri?
I'll not get into the question of at what point in design does a khukuri cease to be a knife and become a sword, because I feel like asking when a khukuri ceases to be a khukuri is exhausting enough, but as long as we're bouncing ideas, I'd like to hear what you think.

It's just communication. I no more think that there is a "bright line" in defining a khukuri (such as a Cho) than I think we usefully define the word for others by calling a bolo or any folding knife a "kukri" khukuri as some companies do.

Nor, again, do I see an "authority" to define the term. Lot's of gray.

Like many things, it seems to be a matter of what is generally thought to be the case.

As for me, I suspect that you can lose construction in Nepal as more things called khukuri have been made in India than otherwise. Ditto for blessings, limited handle materials, and tempering with water from a teapot. Jason Stewart makes khukuris.

Last edited:
Just an aside has anyone been watching Dracula on prime time? One of the Dracula killers uses a pair of Kukris.

Braham Stoker's book mentions the Kukri by name, in the hands of Jonathan Harker. His kukri, and Quincy Morris' Bowie, are what kill Dracula at the book's end.

Can any of you comment on Tora Kukris vs. Himalayan Import Kukris?

As I understand the guy at Tora sends his kamis historical examples as models. He claims that his are the more traditional, leaner, faster types of Kukri's that are made for daily use while the other sources make Western tourist and export versions that are just built like a brick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jty3cTV-DuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mae-F9fvR1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT0wIFK_aQA

TORA khukuris are very nice. I have four. More weapons perhaps. Less accessible in that I get HI products in 2-3 days, and Simon can't come close.

I think it has to a squirrel and a half in length:D Thats how I define em! Am I in the wrong forum?
Depends how YOu define real Kukri for yourself. There isn't any international Kukri society which provides any standards.
One approach would be to look at historical Kukris as they are the original ones and check their thickness (really thick)
Another way would be to see what actual Nepalese villagers use today (really thick)
How about what Gurkhas use in the British, Indian or Nepalese army?
But however smart we try to figure out what is a real Kukri at the end its up to you what defines a Kukri for you and what is important and what not.
I for example like full tang Kukris. Are they real? Not traditionally and not being used by the common Nepali...

condor heavy duty kukri, 68 bucks shipped.
10 inch convex edge
10mm full tang design.
nice leather sheath.
1.82 lbs total weight.

chopping monster with feather stick making capability.

The Ontario and Ka-bar kukri machetes are both good, but they are both that-machetes, not true kukris. You want a true kukri for less than the CS one, look at Himilayan Imports or Khukuri House-real, Nepalese kukris.

While a kabar khukuri h is a machete I have to partially disagree with you about the Ontario. The Ontario khukuri may not be classified as a true khukuri because it is mass manufactured by machines and their is no cho. But at .25" thick and good geometry for chopping, piercing, behaving as a draw knife it definitely comes in a clone like version of a Khukuri. IMO probably one of the closest things out there to a true khukuri right on par with the esteemed CS khukuri (not machete)

I am not a fan of the HI style Kukri, but then i have absolutely no interest in "classic" designs. I prefer streamlined modern designs with modern materials and high quality fit and finish. If i was going to buy another kukri it would be one of these

cs35atcj.jpg

47876611.jpg

kz7.jpg

I am in the minority. Most people seem to like the more classic designs, but i prefer modernized renditions

I am loving the second pic can you tell us more about it.

I have an Ontario Kukri. Its a great blade. 1095 carbon steel that is 1/4in thick at the spine. Extremely durable blade.

The Ka-Bar Combat Kukri is great for clearing brush and taking down small saplings. I completely cleared about a 30 meter line of thick vegetation that went about 5 meters back in about 2 hours. One of the most solid fixed blades I've ever owned.

I agree 102%!
I know that the HI fans have a lot to rave about, but that's like saying that unless you pay $10,000+ for a samurai sword to be made in Japan by a sword making clan, you'll never have a "real" Katana.... That's just bologna IMHO.

I am not a fan of the HI style Kukri, but then i have absolutely no interest in "classic" designs. I prefer streamlined modern designs with modern materials and high quality fit and finish. If i was going to buy another kukri it would be one of these

cs35atcj.jpg

47876611.jpg

kz7.jpg

I am in the minority. Most people seem to like the more classic designs, but i prefer modernized renditions

I agree 102%!
I know that the HI fans have a lot to rave about, but that's like saying that unless you pay $10,000+ for a samurai sword to be made in Japan by a sword making clan, you'll never have a "real" Katana.... That's just bologna IMHO.

That's kind of the gist of it, isn't it? Howard Clark, IIRC, started making samurai swords several years ago with (I think) L6 and a phenomenal heat treat. A bunch of sword teaching "masters" had to run out and put one on order because their students were coming into their dojos and outcutting them, like cleaving a 2x4 in one chop.

Not even close to being traditional, except perhaps in shape. But clearly superior, at least in my opinion. I'll take that any day, but I only care about performance. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree, and that's fine, to each their own.

I cannot find a post suggesting that it is the steel used that makes a knife a khukuri - or the country or origin, nationality of the maker, or anything remotely religious -- except by those denying that those are relevant factors.

A number of posts refer to the shape (and not merely the silhouette) as being dispositive.

Back