How To Kukri sharpening

Hey guys, I recently bought some full size sandpaper sheets to sharpen my sirupate...but I'm having no luck getting a razor sharp edge on it...it seems very difficult...now we can take into consideration that I don't have a mousepad or a phone book to put under the sandpaper...but I have a thick book that might match to a phone book..still..any ideas on getting my prized possession to razor sharpeness?

Hey guys, I recently bought some full size sandpaper sheets to sharpen my sirupate...but I'm having no luck getting a razor sharp edge on it...it seems very difficult...now we can take into consideration that I don't have a mousepad or a phone book to put under the sandpaper...but I have a thick book that might match to a phone book..still..any ideas on getting my prized possession to razor sharpeness?

What grit of sandpaper did you get?
There's a pretty decent tutorial around here someplace, I'll see if I can find it.
I think Karda did one and I believe Ndog also did one specifically using the sandpaper.

I think the key is starting off course enough to cut a bit and then working your way up to the finer grits 400, 600 and beyond.

The sharpie trick, marking the edge is very helpful in letting you know exactly where your working.

All this being said, I'm no much good at sharpening myself, I really have to work at it. I used to be good but somewhere along the line I apparently lost the touch.

I can get them sharp but very difficult to get to shaving sharp.

Need more information. What grit is your sandpaper? Were you able to get any improvement in the edge, or none at all? What have you been using as backing for your sandpaper? Have you cut yourself yet (an occupational hazard when sharpening a khukuri)? :)

The idea of a mousepad or phone book is to use something that has some give to it. Can't tell if your "thick book" would work. Be nice if it has a soft cover and is bendable like a phone book. Even better if it is a book about how to sharpen a khukuri. :)

I just used the Bladeforums search facility (see link at the top of this page) using keyword "sharpen" and pointing to the HI Cantina subforum. Got a ton of hits on postings about sharpening khukuris. Rather than starting from scratch (no pun intended), I suggest you browse through some of those.

It might be that your goal of a "razor sharp edge" is unrealistic or impractical. A khukuri is not a razor; it is more like an axe or hatchet, depending on size and model. The edge needs to be sharp enough to easily bite into the target, usually wood, but beyond that a truly razor sharp edge won't hold up, unless you are using it to shave with. This has been a subject of controversy here, and you can read all about the controversy, as well as sharpening tips, through the abovementioned search.

Good luck.

I just noticed that there are two threads with this same question, both by Isaiah, posted within a minute of each other. Apparently a double-tap.

I replied to this one and Bawanna replied to the other. It would be nice if someone knows how to consolidate them.

I think this misplaced Missouri dirt farmer managed to merge the two. I'm so gosh durn proud of myself I could just pat myself on the back. Arms ain't really long enough to do a proper job of it but that's ok.

Back