Kukri WIP - The Bone Collector

Patrice Lemée;11620146 said:
Here is a pic to make sure we are talking roughly about the same thing. I drew where I thought was this sweet spot. So I am guessing leaving some thickness there and tapering towards the point.
I was also thinking about some tapering towards the handle as this is still plenty thick (0.250”) after all.
Am I close?

I still have much to learn with regards to manipulating the CoP, sweet spot, whatever you want to call it. :D

I have found it difficult to ascertain (accurately) the CoP until after HT. I'm also concerned about your cutouts and how they'll affect vibrations (ie tuning fork effect). Some testing will sort that out.

Maybe Stacy or somebody with more experience will chime in.

Not that much shop time during the holidays for the Kukri but I still did a little.

First a pic of what my awesome wife got me for Christmas. :D A low noise compressor for the shop. Even in the open (the old one was in a box to deadened the noise a little) it is whisper quiet. Whenever the old one started it scared the crap out of me. Not a good thing when you are at the grinder with a 36grit ceramic belt running full speed. :(

WIP_Kukri_28_zpsfa53d49d.jpg

Starting work on a real mock up for the guard. (real mock up, what's that? ;)) Last guard I did like this (well kind of) I did in steel from the get go. A good idea if you know exactly what you want but in this case I am still unsure if my idea will work, visually anyway, so it is far easier with wood.

WIP_Kukri_29_zps66d96ce9.jpg

Of course even hardwood can crack so I make liberal use of the good old CA and activator.

WIP_Kukri_30_zps8c29428e.jpg

Squarish guard all fitted

WIP_Kukri_31_zpscaa61a7c.jpg

An roughly shaped. I need to go back to the drawing board again. Something about it is not working and I got another idea but it's a little more drastic so I need to see it on paper first.

WIP_Kukri_32_zps6a45a527.jpg

Finally, a spine shot to give you an idea of where we are at with the distal taper. This thing is slowly getting lighter and faster. I am still thinking about putting a small taper from the middle going towards the handle. But I am afraid I would just be making my life much more complicated for very little gain in weight reduction.

WIP_Kukri_33_zpsc6d511bb.jpg

Next step will be starting to refine the cutout part. Stay tuned...

Back to the mill to give the cutout some texture. Start by taking about 20 thou off. Finally started to buy some good carbide endmills. They are expensive so it's easier to buy a few here and there but they work so good.

WIP_Kukri_34_zpsf4857ad4.jpg

Then with a carbide burr in the Foredom, carving a little detail on the sides.

WIP_Kukri_35_zps2fb5e4a6.jpg

I don't have a real clear idea of where I am going with this, just a general one so I am doing a little at a time. But I think I like it up to now.

WIP_Kukri_36_zps03e001ac.jpg

Now looking at this pic I realize that the cutout may be a good idea visually but I may not have thought far enough ahead, mainly about heat treat. :eek: This center part is going to cool much quicker and I don't want to end up with a hard spine but a soft one right? Probably going to have to try and use clay to slow down the cooling but this is very arbitrary. And I don't have a hardness tester yet so how am I doing to know how I did and where on the blade? I guess a tester just made the top of my To Buy list. :( But even then, this will not be a walk in the park. :eek: Oh well, if it was easy, everybody would do it right? ;)

More to come....

Lookin good so far. Like how your carrying on the theme with the bolster area.

Either way you would have to cut it out before HT other wise I imagine it would be a real bear to do all that work.

If it was me doing it I would fill in the holes with your clay and do a 1/16" thick layer from the bottom of those bone holes up to the top of the spine, and probably a slightly thicker layer from above them up depending on how hard you want the spine. Ive done several clay hardened blades but there are a ton of guys here that have done far more then myself so I am sure they will chime in with more advice.

Also if you just want the top part softer then maybe apply the clay above the bone holes.

I added your picture outlined how I would personally do it. The red line is the thinner clay, the blue is a little thicker. Still it doesnt need to be too terribly thick.

WIP_Kukri_36_zps03e001ac.jpg

Ooops just reread your first post. Thought you were using a different steel. I have not had a chance to play with 5160 yet so I could be way off on my recommendations.

Patrice, good WIP! The kukri is looking very promising. As for the weight, I agree it's pretty heavy right now, but my experience is when you get to the final grind, it will magically be much lighter (but, keep in mind, all kuk's are ridiculously blade heavy). I do worry how the cutouts are going to affect twisting/warping. Good going, brother!

This is definitely an interesting build. I can't say it's really my style, but I like the way you're approaching things.

Regarding the guard, I am very curious where you'll go next with it, and what materials you plan to use for the final guard. When I saw your first effort my mind flashed back to a Kuk I'd seen in HI's stock that had a figural (monkey) guard. Personally, I'd be tempted to try something like that.

Patrice Lemée;11677059 said:
An roughly shaped.

Very interesting guard shape, Patrice. Definitely has a vertebrae quality to it!

Patrice Lemée;11677064 said:
Then with a carbide burr in the Foredom, carving a little detail on the sides.

The texturing looks great. I think your idea is growing on me. I hope the HT works out!

Quint, thanks for your help. This is similar to what I was thinking of doing even with 5160.

Greg, Shawn has it right, more vertebrae like. I thought you were more of a seagull guy anyway. ;)
Guard will most likely be blued (slow rust) steel.

David, I sure hope you are right about the grind. I would like for it to be at least 2-3 ounces less.

Thanks for the good words guys.

Wow Pat, it looks like I am late to the party. I am not familiar at all with the use of 5160 but do see where a heat on such a blade might be problematic! Maybe some of those that work in 5160 can offer advice on HT!

I will say this Pat your work is progressing by leaps and bounds. Your work always intrigues me and this one definitely has my attention! Although not really my cup of tea so to speak, I will have keep an eye on your progress on this one!

Patrice Lemée;11677657 said:
Greg, Shawn has it right, more vertebrae like. I thought you were more of a seagull guy anyway. ;)
Guard will most likely be blued (slow rust) steel.

Nah, I'm over the seagull thing now.

Ever consider making the guard out of bone?

Patrice, here's a picture of a kukri handle I've long admired, well, I like the entire knife actually. But, maybe the handle will give you some ideas.

Attachments

• ivory kukri1.jpg
    ivory kukri1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 103
  • ivory kukri2.jpg
    ivory kukri2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 106
DB57, I am sure glad you like it, even more if it's not your cup of tea. Helps me convince myself I am doing something right. And I know that it's probably not most people cup of tea either. Makes me work even harder to do the best job I can.

Greg, although this is on the artistic side I am still shooting for a functional Kukri and bone would just not be a strong enough material for a guard.

David, thanks for the pics. That is some awesome carving there. Sadly I have nowhere near that talent but this go in the “Inspiration” folder for sure.

Thanks again for the good words guys. Hopefully in the next few days I can get some work done on this. Stay tuned.

Patrice Lemée;11681020 said:
go in the “Inspiration” folder for sure.

You have one too? :D I actually have three. The first two have so many photos that Evernote wouldn't let me add anymore. There are so many talented makers out there!

DB57, I am sure glad you like it, even more if it's not your cup of tea. Helps me convince myself I am doing something right. And I know that it's probably not most people cup of tea either. Makes me work even harder to do the best job I can.

Now Pat, don't take me wrong about the cup of tea comment. I am not a big Kukri fan to begin with but I felt like this knife is stepping into a more artsy field. Not that is a bad thing. I really loved the Inquisitor knife and I may be getting the cart before the horse on this one. I will say this Pat you are taking it too a new level and that is good. I am still in the basic knife field and you my friend have went by leaps and bounds to another field.
However I can't help but say I like what I am seeing although it is probably not something I would do. You see I can appreciate the work that goes into what you are doing with this one as well as the insight I see you are gaining into another realm of knife making! I have this feeling you are about to jump light years ahead of a lot of us!
I still worry about warpage on this one even if I am not familiar with the steel. Mainly because of the the design of the blade itself!

Greg, although this is on the artistic side I am still shooting for a functional Kukri and bone would just not be a strong enough material for a guard.

Okay, it was just a thought. Still anxious to see what you come up with.

I love kukris, even though I don't own one, and I love this one. I really like the cutout designs you did. I'm anxious to see the final product.

Back