Kumar Karda Review (as a food knife)

The Kumar Karda was one of the first blades that caught my eye as I perused the HI online store. It took me a while but I finally have one.

10.75" Length
Sandan wood handle (full tang & pinned)
Made by Ram Kumar

Others have recommended the Kumar Karda as a good camp knife. To me a camp knife is a knife that does well both processing food and doing light to medium duty wood work. As a good test for food processing I cut meat and veggies for stir-fry.

About to slice chicken, beef, and pork as thin as I can. (I'm by no means a chef)

The chicken sliced very thin.

So did the beef

And the pork

Meat is all processed. It is starting to get a patina already.

About to cut some veggies

Some HI knifes shoot carrots across the room when you cut them. I think it is because of the thickness and extreme convex edge. This knife did really well with carrots.

More patina building up on the blade.

Broccoli guy (KK chopped him up too)

Done with veggies!

Picture just in case you wanted to see the finished stir-fry

I was surprised how well it peeled an apple. The edge bevel close to the handle is nearly a flat grind and was super sharp out of the box. The edge becomes more convex at the chopping sweet spot.

Snacks. My kids never stop eating

Spine

Another picture in the hand.

I love this knife. I have yet to use it on wood but it is better than expected at cutting food. The chiruwa style handle feels great in the hand. Feels very stout. The curve of the edge of the blade near the tip was very helpful as a pivot point when using a like a chef knife. It hangs on the belt just fine without pulling your pants down. I removed the snapping handle strap off of the sheath because I like it better that way. These are my first thoughts on the knife for food prep. I will update this when I get a chance to use it on some wood.

Don't wait any longer. Buy a Kumar Karda now!

Last edited:
The Kumar Karda was one of the first blades that caught my eye as I perused the HI online store. It took me a while but I finally got one.

10.75" Length
Sandan wood handle (full tang & pinned)
Made by Ram Kumar

Others have recommended the Kumar Karda as a good camp knife. To me a camp knife is a knife that is good at processing both food and doing light to medium duty wood working. As a good food processing knife test I decided to see how it would cut meat and veggies for stir-fry.

About to slice chicken, beef, and pork as thin as I can. (I'm by no means a chef)

The chicken sliced very thin.

So did the beef

And the pork

Meat is all processed. It is starting to get a patina already.

About to cut some veggies

Some HI knifes shoot carrots across the room when you cut them. I think it is because of the thickness and extreme convex edge. This knife did really well with carrots.

More patina building up on the blade.

Broccoli guy (he got cut up too)

Done cutting veggies!

Picture just in case you wanted to see the finished stir-fry

I was surprised how well it peeled an apple. The edge bevel near the handle is nearly a flat grind and is extremely sharp. The edge becomes more convex in the chopping sweet spot.

Kids never stop eating

Picture of the spine

Another picture in the hand.

I love this knife. I have yet to use it on wood but it is better than expected at cutting food. The chiruwa style handle feels great in the hand. Feels very stout. The curve of the edge of the blade near the tip was very helpful as a pivot point when using a like a chef knife for carrots. It hangs on the belt just fine without pulling your pants down. I removed the snapping handle strap off of the sheath because I like it better that way. These are my first thoughts on the knife for food prep. I will update this when I get a chance to use it on some wood.

Don't wait any longer. Buy a Kumar Karda now!
Love your knife and article Eric. Thanks for sharing

Back