KUR New LionSteel knife 2016

20160611_113932-01_zpsx4zqxrey.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I received my KUR MT on Friday. I love the knife but there is one problem. The liner lock is very stiff to unlock the knife. I don't mean that it sticks because that is not the case. The knife has very early lock up and there is a cut out where your thumb should be placed to disengage the knife. The liner lock steel is very tight and it takes a great deal of pressure to move it. Any thoughts?

I received my KUR MT on Friday. I love the knife but there is one problem. The liner lock is very stiff to unlock the knife. I don't mean that it sticks because that is not the case. The knife has very early lock up and there is a cut out where your thumb should be placed to disengage the knife. The liner lock steel is very tight and it takes a great deal of pressure to move it. Any thoughts?

Mine has loosened up and smoothed out a bit since I got it. I have been flipping it like crazy though, which means expedited break-in.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Same here. Love this knife. Only gripe is the pocket clip. Man, I practically tear off my shorts pulling it out.

Kur is sumerian. Mean mountain.

I like sumerian history and chose this name for knife.

Kur is sumerian. Mean mountain.

I like sumerian history and chose this name for knife.

Thanks for that info.

Here's what Wikipedia says about Kur:

In Sumerian mythology, Kur is considered the first ever dragon[citation needed], and usually referred to the Zagros mountains to the east of Sumer. The cuneiform for "kur" was written ideographically with the cuneiform sign 𒆳, a pictograph of a mountain.​

I actually know and visited Zagros mountains in Iran as a kid. The word for mountain in Persian is "kuh"! On the other hand, the word "kur" in Persian means "blind".

Last edited:
Not being Sumerian, I didn't get the reference and pretty much hated the name. :)

But I love the knife. GP Knives picked me out a nice one, with that great earth brown color.

The G10 scale has just the right amount of grippiness.

The blade is flat-ground and acid-washed. (Or is that "nuked" in Sumerian?)

I wish it had a thumb disc like the TRE. But at least the detent on mine allows me to slide the blade open with my thumb and open manually when I don't want to scare people with the flipper.

In hand and in use how different is it than the TM1?
I think I am getting one or the other to mess with this summer. Russ

In hand and in use how different is it than the TM1?
I think I am getting one or the other to mess with this summer. Russ

The integral frame TM1 from LionSteel are a marvel to fit the blade and back lock mechanism into a solid frame. No doubt. However, all that comes at a heavy premium in price due to the intricate multi-axis machining. Regardless, the TM1 series are great beefy folders.

The KUR series should be a success for LionSteel in many areas but I think mostly in how value-priced they are. All the lessons they learnt from machining when translated to uncomplicated form results in a success. Forget about the Metamirphosis model, which I really like, but the G-10 with acid-washed blade for about $170 is a big winner in my mind. G-10 affords better grip and acid-washed can keep the rust spots away from Sleipner tool steel.

KUR is a relatively small folder that packs a punch. It flips better than any Italian flipper I've ever had! It's tough, extremely well-built, thick FFG blade and a lot of detailed attention which only makes you aware upon closer inspection.

I wish KUR was lighter but that's a 0.18" thick slab of Sleipner. The clip is a little bit too tight.

I'd like to see LionSteel offer a backspacer with a glass breaker instead of a lanyard hole. Never cared for lanyard holes but tough glass breakers are always handy.

The integral frame TM1 from LionSteel are a marvel to fit the blade and back lock mechanism into a solid frame. No doubt. However, all that comes at a heavy premium in price due to the intricate multi-axis machining. Regardless, the TM1 series are great beefy folders.

The KUR series should be a success for LionSteel in many areas but I think mostly in how value-priced they are. All the lessons they learnt from machining when translated to uncomplicated form results in a success. Forget about the Metamirphosis model, which I really like, but the G-10 with acid-washed blade for about $170 is a big winner in my mind. G-10 affords better grip and acid-washed can keep the rust spots away from Sleipner tool steel.

KUR is a relatively small folder that packs a punch. It flips better than any Italian flipper I've ever had! It's tough, extremely well-built, thick FFG blade and a lot of detailed attention which only makes you aware upon closer inspection.

I wish KUR was lighter but that's a 0.18" thick slab of Sleipner. The clip is a little bit too tight.

I'd like to see LionSteel offer a backspacer with a glass breaker instead of a lanyard hole. Never cared for lanyard holes but tough glass breakers are always handy.

As always, great post, answered my question clearly. I may pm you, I deserve a new knife and am not sure which water to go.
Thanks for the informative post.
Russ

Anybody saying the blades are too thick is overlooking a huge things knives occasionally do... work. The orange g10 SW KUR I have on its way isn't going to sit in its chammy clothe, it's going to earn it's scratches. Blade thickness was a huge factor in picking a replacement work knife, blade shape, quality steel and high viz g10 or micarta that wasn't play dough looking were some others. I wanted a classy yet bad ass work edc and this thing is so perfect, I'll let you know what I think when it's gotten some use. I'm by no means wealthy and don't collect knives per se, but when it comes to an edc I buy what will last and get the job done, on all tools really, so my criteria were very specific in function, looks and sturdiness, not just a cool knife that looks good and costs a lot of money to lay next to a hundred others like it, or not like it, either way, and not to knock collectors because honestly I'm jealous, but not all knives that look great should fit a collectors criteria, just like not all work knives should be clunkers, but a beautiful knife like this that fits in both worlds fuctionally and aesthetically had better be hearty enough to actually get its cajonnes tugged on. -BH

Anybody saying the blades are too thick is overlooking a huge things knives occasionally do... work.

What you're overlooking is that everything you said is completely relative. Cost, thickness, blade length, profile and pretty much every other criteria are all preferences. What you believe to be a good work knife could be considered wimpy by someone else, and the next person might consider the exact same thing to be nothing more than a sharpened prybar. Buy what you like, use what works for you, but don't assume the opinion you have is the same as anyone else's.

Anybody saying the blades are too thick is overlooking a huge things knives occasionally do... work. The orange g10 SW KUR I have on its way isn't going to sit in its chammy clothe, it's going to earn it's scratches. Blade thickness was a huge factor in picking a replacement work knife, blade shape, quality steel and high viz g10 or micarta that wasn't play dough looking were some others. I wanted a classy yet bad ass work edc and this thing is so perfect, I'll let you know what I think when it's gotten some use. I'm by no means wealthy and don't collect knives per se, but when it comes to an edc I buy what will last and get the job done, on all tools really, so my criteria were very specific in function, looks and sturdiness, not just a cool knife that looks good and costs a lot of money to lay next to a hundred others like it, or not like it, either way, and not to knock collectors because honestly I'm jealous, but not all knives that look great should fit a collectors criteria, just like not all work knives should be clunkers, but a beautiful knife like this that fits in both worlds fuctionally and aesthetically had better be hearty enough to actually get its cajonnes tugged on. -BH

I hope you still carry it after you find out what brick it is. That was a lovely post though.....
Russ

What you're overlooking is that everything you said is completely relative. Cost, thickness, blade length, profile and pretty much every other criteria are all preferences. What you believe to be a good work knife could be considered wimpy by someone else, and the next person might consider the exact same thing to be nothing more than a sharpened prybar. Buy what you like, use what works for you, but don't assume the opinion you have is the same as anyone else's.
That wasn't overlooked, it's exactly what I meant by the post, my observation is that the relativity and criticisms are more often then not relative to the perspective of knife buyers that will cut a few pieces of paper or some rope occasionally because they want to try the new toy, not the same perspective as an edc that will have to do hard tasks daily and it's not by choice. My point was exactly perspective, and that expensive knives (or mildly expensive in this case) should also be approached from the point of view of getting a serious beating and not just looking perfect or weighing one 100th of an ounce lighter. Maybe it's just the collective that vocalizes, but I'd like to see more function in mid to higher end knives and let form follow.

Yes, I am a hammer for everything kinda guy, but I'd like a really nice hammer... They are hard to find and breaking the tip off a really nice knife will make me lose it, so while I need a hammer for everything I do with an edc knife, I still would like to be able to get a really nice really cool knife to do it. No harm meant. I don't need a funky shaped blade or a gentlemens mini toothpick or anything like that, and some want that, but what I NEED is foremost, to me, and I also want to play in the high-ish end deeper end of the pool and there aren't as many real choices as I'd like. This knife looked like a perfect blend of my needs and just wanted to convey my perceived need for more.

We are not talking about 100th of an ounce here. These babies are over 5.5 oz. To over 6 oz depending on whos scales you believe.I am not saying this isn't a solid knife but the tm1 to me is nicer and lighter to boot.
I have some hard use pocket knives that get used vigorously that weigh less than that. Have you looked at the tm1?
I have no problem with you liking the knife, it is just some of your comments don't make sense. You seem to be casting a lot of aspersions for a guy with very few posts.
Russ

Thanks, Ram.

I'd like to see LionSteel eliminate that heavy backspacer in the KUR and replace it with standoffs.

Open pillar construction and lighter weight -- a win, win for the user.

We are not talking about 100th of an ounce here. These babies are over 5.5 oz. To over 6 oz depending on whos scales you believe.I am not saying this isn't a solid knife but the tm1 to me is nicer and lighter to boot.
I have some hard use pocket knives that get used vigorously that weigh less than that. Have you looked at the tm1?
I have no problem with you liking the knife, it is just some of your comments don't make sense. You seem to be casting a lot of aspersions for a guy with very few posts.
Russ
Believe me when I say I'm not discounting lighter knives or any knife because of its weight, but just like in other hobbies, say cars and trucks, there's a high end street racing group that wants everything carbon fiber, as light as possible. There's muscle cars that want maximum horsepower, trucks with storage space, etc etc, but since this is blade forum and not just "light blade's forum", and this is a thread regarding a heavier "brick" "let's see how you like it when it's in your hand" , knife, the people who love this knive, and heavier hard use knives like it, should be able to point out that the complaints on weight and blade thickness are pervasive through almost all discussions of knives and that manufacturers are missing a large demographic if no one else speaks up. I love the knife, have it in hand and it fits perfect, I have medium/large hands, it's lighter then a bag of cement so it won't even be noticed carried around all day, When the things that make me love this knife are constantly complained about I feel compelled to speak up, regardless of how many posts I have.

Back