KW Exclusive Military CF/Ti S90V + CQI Improvements

Just curious as to if anyone has taken one of these completely apart to "service' or to apply their own preferred oil/lube/grease? I tried to do so but despite having two excellent sets of torx bits tools (Wiha multi torx bits and Were L-shaped torx heads) 3 out of the 4 scales torx screws (sz 8) are not slightly stripped and unable to come off without further work. There was no loctite applied to the pivot torx screws but I'm not wondering if loctite had been applied to the scales torx screws? FWIW, the one which came off rather easily, had no traces of loctite.

I am fairly certain if I contact Charlyne (sp?) in Golden CO, she may be able to add me to the "needs" torx screws list as she had done in the past but in the past I had these issues with my other Spydies pivot screws which had stripped because of the dreaded red loctite. I'm rambling!

Just curious as to if anyone has taken one of these completely apart to "service' or to apply their own preferred oil/lube/grease? I tried to do so but despite having two excellent sets of torx bits tools (Wiha multi torx bits and Were L-shaped torx heads) 3 out of the 4 scales torx screws (sz 8) are not slightly stripped and unable to come off without further work. There was no loctite applied to the pivot torx screws but I'm not wondering if loctite had been applied to the scales torx screws? FWIW, the one which came off rather easily, had no traces of loctite.

I am fairly certain if I contact Charlyne (sp?) in Golden CO, she may be able to add me to the "needs" torx screws list as she had done in the past but in the past I had these issues with my other Spydies pivot screws which had stripped because of the dreaded red loctite. I'm rambling!

I've had a few Militarys apart, including this one without issues. The torx screws are a little shallow so you need to be more careful with angle and pressure than some. Yet to see any bad thread locker.

First time drilling and tapping Ti went really well yesterday. Super easy with a little reading (drill underwater, use #48 drill, not #50, use tapping lubricant of course). I didn't bother wrestling the lanyard tube out, but I did take it apart and polish/clean/lube all contact surfaces. Ground down the original clip screws as fillers, which I'm not sure I like. Oh, and the blade is now 204p :)

ojGJLcY.jpg

Last edited:
AbbaZabaBubba, you're a lot more adept and proficient than I will ever be :D

I've had a few Militarys apart, including this one without issues. The torx screws are a little shallow so you need to be more careful with angle and pressure than some. Yet to see any bad thread locker.

First time drilling and tapping Ti went really well yesterday. Super easy with a little reading (drill underwater, use #48 drill, not #50, use tapping lubricant of course). I didn't bother wrestling the lanyard tube out, but I did take it apart and polish/clean/lube all contact surfaces. Ground down the original clip screws as fillers, which I'm not sure I like. Oh, and the blade is now 204p :)

ojGJLcY.jpg

Excellent work there abbazaba!

ojGJLcY.jpg
Pretty sweet there, brother. You're tempting me to buy one and try that. What clip is that?

I thought about picking another one of these, but decided against it since I already have an s90v Military. I do have an M4 CQI Millie that I'm going to do a blade swap with a CQI full Ti Military. M4 in a full Ti handle, is about as good as it gets for me! It's just going to be the perfect Millie!

Pretty sweet there, brother. You're tempting me to buy one and try that. What clip is that?

Not sure the exact model (it came from the parts bin), but its definitely a clip from Big Auction Site seller "blade4sell". I like these the best because they have counter sunk screw holes to make the head flush (the only ones I've found with this feature) and the bead blasted finish is just my favorite all around. They are my favorite PM2 clip, and work great on my GB2, Police4, etc.

Last edited:
You don't already have one?
Oh you're a lotta help, brother. :rolleyes: I've been wanting to get another Millie for EDC use as both my digi-cam black-bladed and fluted ti models are too nice to beat up. I was gonna get a plain jane in black G10 to match my EDC Para2, but now I looked over at KW and their exclusive is on sale for under $200 now.

Can't say my wallet's very happy with either you or Roger right now. :oops:

Oh you're a lotta help, brother. :rolleyes: I've been wanting to get another Millie for EDC use as both my digi-cam black-bladed and fluted ti models are too nice to beat up. I was gonna get a plain jane in black G10 to match my EDC Para2, but now I looked over at KW and their exclusive is on sale for under $200 now.

Can't say my wallet's very happy with either you or Roger right now. :oops:
Hahaha , well , I can’t recommend this KW exclusive Military enough. It’s top shelf all the way. Jump on it while you can. That little voice of guilt in your head telling you not to buy it ....choke him out and get this knife.

Hahaha , well , I can’t recommend this KW exclusive Military enough. It’s top shelf all the way. Jump on it while you can. That little voice of guilt in your head telling you not to buy it ....choke him out and get this knife.
I remember you had two fluted ti Milles and you sold them off--I recall that was back when I was looking for one and I just missed yours. Do you prefer this KW version to those?

I really like fluted ti framelocks an have quite a few. I am reluctant to beat my Millie up, though. Do you EDC yours?

I remember you had two fluted ti Milles and you sold them off--I recall that was back when I was looking for one and I just missed yours. Do you prefer this KW version to those?

I really like fluted ti framelocks an have quite a few. I am reluctant to beat my Millie up, though. Do you EDC yours?

I know you are asking wolverine but since I have both models I'd like to share my opinions. The fluted ti millie does have its place. For a full metal knife it is very slim and absolutely visually appealing. In bare hands I'm afraid it is the least comfortable among all militarys that I have tried, which I think mainly because of the sharp edge of the ti handle. It is still Ok though, and with gloves on it may not be an issue at all.

When I want to carry a larger knife , the Military is my go-to. The fluted Military is nice. But imo , this KW exclusive is just on another level. Beauty and brawn = this knife. I have a couple , one to edc and one to keep mint in the drawer. That’s my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
I know you are asking wolverine but since I have both models I'd like to share my opinions. The fluted ti millie does have its place. For a full metal knife it is very slim and absolutely visually appealing. In bare hands I'm afraid it is the least comfortable among all militarys that I have tried, which I think mainly because of the sharp edge of the ti handle. It is still Ok though, and with gloves on it may not be an issue at all.
Thanks for you thoughts, sharp_edge--your two cents are greatly appreciated. When you refer to the sharp edge of the ti handle (seems like self-reference, doesn't it?) are you talking about the fluted ti or KW knife? I just got my fluted ti out and, while the slabs do have un-beveled edges, they don't bother my old carpenter's hands at all.

Thanks for you thoughts, sharp_edge--your two cents are greatly appreciated. When you refer to the sharp edge of the ti handle (seems like self-reference, doesn't it?) are you talking about the fluted ti or KW knife? I just got my fluted ti out and, while the slabs do have un-beveled edges, they don't bother my old carpenter's hands at all.

I was talking about the fluted ti handle. It is not chamfered. This perhaps the only military model whose handle feels sharp in hands. Not that it is intolerable, just that it could be done better although chamfering may compromise the visual appearance of the fluted pattern.

OK, sharp_edge sharp_edge and Wolverine666 Wolverine666 , you got me. abbazaba abbazaba was in touch too and I guess my little inner voice got out-voted--I just pulled the trigger and ordered the knife. If it's as sweet as y'all claim--and I have no reason to suspect that a Millie with those materials wouldn't be--it'll go into my pocket and I'll go for the abbazaba mod to make it the perfect tip-up Millie EDC. :D

Last edited:
OK, sharp_edge sharp_edge and Wolverine666 Wolverine666 , you got me. abbazaba abbazaba was in touch too and I guess my little inner voice got out-voted--I just pulled the trigger and ordered the knife. If it's as sweet as y'all claim--and I have no reason to suspect that a Millie with those materials wouldn't be--it'll go into my pocket and I'll go for the abbazaba mod to make it the perfect tip-up Millie EDC. :D
Excellent choice. And don't forget the pics !

Excellent choice. And don't forget the pics !
OK, guys, here it is. It's unbelievable how quickly this baby got here. I placed the order around 2:30 PM Thursday and it was out the door and scanned by USPS in Columbia, LA before the close of business. It was in my PO box here on Cape Cod, MA just after 8 AM this morning.

So, this one is sure sweet enough with its giant slab of sandblasted Ti, really nice peel-ply CF, and the a gorgeous Military blade in S90V. Like a few have mentioned, this one was surprisingly stiff out of the box, but I fooled with the pivot, added a couple drops each side of 10W NanoOil, and a dot of FinishLine on the detent ball. She's breaking in, flicking open nicely now, and free-dropping on release, though there's quite a bit more lockbar pressure on this knife than my other two Millies. Those I've kept really clean and babied so far, but this one's destined to be a user. It'll look good with some snail trails on that Ti side.

u5Z5gxn.jpg

BOEbzuu.jpg

Back