Kwik Thumb Stud

stevekolt

Gold Member
Do many folks here use the Kwik Thumb Stud on their 110's or 112's? Does it damage the knife where it is attached to the blade?

Last edited:
I have a couple of them and after giving them a try I decided they weren’t for me. Putting them on and removing them left no mark or defects on my 110\112’s.
I’ll have to look but I think I have two of them. If you want them they are yours.

They work great for me.
They do not damage the knife at all.
I position mine right at the plunge line on the blade.

I've never tried one.
I've never been in that big of hurry or rush to open my 110.

Truth to tell, I always thought they might get in the way when skinning/butchering a deer or something, too. Another reason I never tried one.

Grateful, that is a very generous offer. I will send you my shipping info. Thanks!

In 1978 when I bought my 112 it was hard to open.. I install a Flik-It on it.. Still there to this day..:D
John

I've never tried one.
I've never been in that big of hurry or rush to open my 110.

Truth to tell, I always thought they might get in the way when skinning/butchering a deer or something, too. Another reason I never tried one.
I never used to like them as the couple knives i had with them were 3" or less blades and it did get in the way some.
That all changed about 3-4 years ago when i got a 486, there is enough blade there it doesnt get in the way. I edc'd it till i got the 110 slim select and pro. I do prefer the feel and function of the 486.
To me the thumb stud is about convenience of opening with one hand with minimal effort, rather than speed.

I pinch the blade open it enough to catch the tip on my pants leg then gently flip it open. 1 hand easy peasy. No issues in 30+ years of daily carry.

I think thumb studs and nail nicks are abominations on 110’s. Just my opinion of course. Others love them.

Kudos to Grateful Grateful for his generosity. stevekolt stevekolt Be sure to come back and let us know what you think after you’ve used them.

I pinch the blade open it enough to catch the tip on my pants leg then gently flip it open. 1 hand easy peasy. No issues in 30+ years of daily carry.

I think thumb studs and nail nicks are abominations on 110’s. Just my opinion of course. Others love them.

That's the way I have always done it. In fact I don't even have to catch the tip on my pants, but can push it on open with my thumb. But I often find myself where even that isn't convenient, and miss the thumb stud when I don't have it.

I will say the knife is more aesthetically pleasing without the thumbstud.

I have them on a 110, 112, Bucklite 110, and 422. They will not damage your blade. I prefer the stainless ones over brass as they tend to blend in better with the steel.

Makael, I didn't see these in the catalog...
probably for sale in the factory store. they seem to sell stuff that isnt in the catalogs, isnt sold online on Bucks website or through distribution and dealers.

Buck has US made version. They work well. Doesn't interfere with how I use my 110s.

I called Buck and tried to buy some last year or the year before because I liked the way they looked in the pictures you had posted. They said they didn't have anything like that so I ordered the common ones you see all the time (from somewhere else). Also USA made but a little different than what they have. I like living in Ohio but it makes it inconvenient to run down to the factory for every little thing. :D

I've had a few and ended up removing them.
The Open Season folder has a built in thumb stud on top of the blade that I really like. It works well for one hand opening.
It also serves as a place to put your thumb while using the knife.
I really like that knife.View attachment 1265850

I believe it's called a thumb disk and was popularized by Bob Terzuola on his original tactical folder.

I've used them a lot on my hunting 110 folders,they don't get in the way while feild dressing at all,in fact I use thrm as a reference sometimes while dressing big game,and my thumb sits on top of the stud while skinning ,they work very well and don't leave any damage on the blade,even the alaskan guide coated blades don't get a scratch from them.

Back