kydex grade??

hey guys. what grade is best to go with?? i had some stuff bought in sheet by a friend who got it from somewhere in washington.. it had a finer texture finish than that of what i've got from knifekits recently. and it molded much nicer.

my question is what grade might this be? i've heard grade t and grade 100 are most popular with grade 100 being a little overkill for what we use (well thats what they said)
thanks in advance guys

I use a matte finish Boltoron (Concealex) My supplier can get the kydex, but I don't favor at all.

They didn't have it in stock, or didn't know about it?

I have to call them myself.

do you have a suggestion on a grade of boltaron? seems like they have a bunch of grades, just like kydex. thanks again man!

I use the virgin stuff, in three thicknesses. Is that what you're referring to?

well i guess maybe with boltaron but i know with kydex they have different grades like kydex100 or kydex268 or something. thanks again man. p.s. your p.m. box is full

Cleaned it. I wouldn't know about the kydex. Don't use the stuff. :D

Can't stand the way it grinds.

This gets to be very confusing. Kydex and Boltaron are company names not plastic types .Both make ABS/PVC plastics of various formulations. So the question is which of the formulations is the most usefull for sheaths or holsters ? It doesn't help that "Kydex" has become a generic term !

Indeed. The Kydex I'm familiar with is more of an ABS content than the Boltaron I buy. My experience has led me to enjoy the grinding properties of Boltaron, as well as the softer more flexible "give". Kydex becomes too brittle too fast for me, although much of that also has to do with how long it cooks.

Boltaron isn't broke for me, so I won't try to fix it.

There used to be a lot of kydex sheet on ebay but not anymore.I`ve made a few crude sheaths for my needs only and i need to make a couple again.Could anybody suggest a good source for 0.60" thick black or OD kydex?

Im with Rob... I like Concealex much more than Kydex.. I think it looks better, works better, easier to mold etc. IMHO

(( hello,i'm new here and ... this is not a spam! Hello right back atcha and yes it is SPAM !!! ))

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to call them myself.

After procrastinating for months I thought I was finally ready to make a purchase from Knifekits.com and get into making Kydex sheaths....until I read your post Robert. I had about 6 sheets of .093 black Kydex ready to go until I read what you said about Kydex! I want the best/slickest plastic out there.
At knifekits all they have is carbon fiber lookalike which is alright but what if you want plain black?

Where would a poor ol hillbilly find some Boltoron (Concealex)?

Last edited:
Calsak, at the link above.

Back