Kydex sheath - Blade gets pinched between layers

Anyone know the cause of this? Basically, when inserting the blade or drawing it from the sheath, the blade (most times the edge portion, sometimes the spine) gets pinched between the riveted layers. I think my mold is good, I use about 3 layers of painters tape on each side. I thought it may be because my eyelets are too far away from the edge, but when I look at professionally made kydex sheaths, they are not closer than mine.

Can you post a picture of the knife next to the sheath? G Gvard

Last edited:
Here they are, the sheath feels mushy and not clicky as well, not sure if those two issues are related. For my next sheath I'm planning to put much more tape around the blade and see how that works.

h7JAkUm.jpg

Ms3P6yc.jpg

It’s hard to tell, but you might want to warm up the thumb ramp until it straightens out. and then insert the knife. And quickly reform the thumb ramp with the knife all the way in, while the kydex is still hot.
The thumb ramp will sometimes cause this if it forms wrong without the knife inserted. Once in a while I have to redo my thumb ramps like this. It looks to be in pushed further in than the spine, which is pushing the blade edge towards the rivits when you are drawing the knife out.
Some colors form different than others making them harder to work with.
If this causes the sheath to seem looser, or rattle, I usually pulsate some heat at where the tip sits and dimple that inward on the side of the sheath that will face the body. On mine its my drain hole side.With it dimpled in and still hot, reinsert the knife and that will set the dimple tight on the tip, eliminating the rattle.
Let me know if that fixes it.
Nice work though.:)

yeah just be careful and pre plan out the retention area you want and think about how and if it could drag on the blade while inserting and removing.. you only want the blade/handle to touch at the last moment before the click.

Back