Kydex sheath making

last of the photos

The site says I can't attach the last photo cause I've already posted it. That's weird. How dies it know that? I changed the name.

Anyway, I use eyelets on thinner Kydex like .03 because I have dies for that size. :)

Attachments

• fig-10.jpg
    fig-10.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 104
  • fig-11.jpg
    fig-11.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 94
Looks good. :thumbup:

You have more patience than I do. I just cut an oversized square, form it, fasten, and beat it against the grinder until the shape pleases me. Patterns make my brain hurt. :p

It's not patience; it's obsessive/compulsive. It's a weird need for perfection and consistency, not that I achieve perfection but I try. Besides, I have AutoCAD so I figure I might as well use it. I also like to see how things are gonna turn out before I make em so I don't ruin and waste material. It''s odd, I just realized that I don't need to show the rounded corners in my pattern because it is slightly oversized and they get sanded of and redone anyway, which I eyeball at that.

Looks good. :thumbup:

:p

Thanks, I appreciate that.

BTW, I was pretty stoopid and bought all the goodies one "needs" to make sheaths. Now I wish I had not bought the arbor press. But, I am glad I bought the Kydex press. If you haven't bought an arbor press yet, don't, just use your drill press.

One thing I noticed about drilling holes in Kydex, unless it is really clamped down well extremely close to the bit it tends to want to follow the drill bit up the helix/sprial, whatever. I found that a step drill without the spiral will drill a cleaner hole and the step drill doesn't "grab" the Kydex.

Another thing I noticed about using a pattern is that I know exactly where the edges will be and I can drill the holes and place the rivets even before actually fitting the knife or gun. This helps to keep the front and back lined up and prevents shifting or slipping of the front in relation to the back without having to use the clamps. This does require more planning for the shape before starting.

One of my next Kydex projects is to make a bunch of sheaths for some used Gerber MKI knives I bought that didn't come with sheaths. I'm going to make a couple with belt clips and a couple with the integral belt loops. If anyone is interested I'll shoot some photos. I also have to make holsters and mag pouches for my Desert Eagle and my Automags. ;)

If anyone has come up with a Kydex holster for a small revolver derringer that would work like a sheath for a neck knife I would love to see photos.

Last edited:
I have made a lot of Kydex sheaths, utility pouches and magazine pouches.

I agree that KnifeKits.com is one of the best places with the best prices for the hardware.

Tools that I would suggest

Rivet press and dies and rivets
Heat gun - this will make it a lot easier than trying to use a toaster oven and is also good for adjusting the final fit.
I use a band saw to cut out the pieces, but started with a jig saw. Kydex is easy to saw.
Belt sander for final shaping of the edges. I do the final finish by hand sanding.
Wood blocks and cotton gloves for shaping warm Kydex.

Tools that I bought, but don't use too much.

Kydex press - Others use this, but I have found that making a bend at a time and shaping it around the object one part at a time with the heat gun is easier and more precise than heating the whole sheet.

A good place to get Kydex is
http://www.interstateplastics.com/
They have good prices and fast service. They sent my the wrong thickness of Kydex once. I called them about it and the next day they had the right order at my door and although I asked for information on how to send the wrong product back they declined to take it back and let me keep it without charge. They are very helpful on the phone too. The only thing to be careful of is that they have a $50 minimum order or they tack on a below minimum order charge.

COTTON GLOVES!? STOOPID! I should thought of that. I've just been living with burned fingers :) Seriously, thanks for that. I've tried other gloves but sometimes they leave and imprint in the Kydex. Nobody wants to buy stuff with my fingerprints melted into it. ;)

Thanks, I appreciate that.

BTW, I was pretty stoopid and bought all the goodies one "needs" to make sheaths. Now I wish I had not bought the arbor press. But, I am glad I bought the Kydex press. If you haven't bought an arbor press yet, don't, just use your drill press.

I use my drill press, but am gonna get a dedicated eyelet press. I only have the one drill press and I also use it for drums and scotchbrite wheels, and it gets annoying switching back to the dies.

One thing I noticed about drilling holes in Kydex, unless it is really clamped down well extremely close to the bit it tends to want to follow the drill bit up the helix/sprial, whatever. I found that a step drill without the spiral will drill a cleaner hole and the step drill doesn't "grab" the Kydex.

I use steel templates clamped to the Kydex. Perfect spacing and no chance of walking.

COTTON GLOVES!? STOOPID! I should thought of that. I've just been living with burned fingers :) Seriously, thanks for that. I've tried other gloves but sometimes they leave and imprint in the Kydex. Nobody wants to buy stuff with my fingerprints melted into it. ;)

Cotton gloves are a must. A good pair of welding gloves are handy too sometimes.

What kind of foam is the press made of ?

You can buy expensive foam from like Knifekits.com. Or, you can get one of those blue camping pads. They work great and are very inexpensive.

Camping foam only lasts for one or two pressings for used surface area for me. It may just be my press though. I use it for stuff that's gonna leave a big impression like clipped folders, then I toss it. For most uses, I use EVA foam. It'll last me a day or more in some cases.

I have the foam sold from knifekits and made over 100 sheaths with it. I had to flip it around after a while but it works excellent.

I have the foam sold from knifekits and made over 100 sheaths with it. I had to flip it around after a while but it works excellent.

I haven't tried KK's foam. I've seen pics of it in use, and it seemed to take a pretty good impression, so I didn't bother with it. I'm gonna build some new presses this weekend, and I may order some and give it a shot. The EVA foam does do well, and would probably last most people a long time. I read one guy's comment that he went six years without changing it. I think I just may be a bit too anal about it.

Appears that the Chiro tutorial link no longer works. Does anyone have one that works? I'm looking for a new kydex press idea. - Captain

I have molded some sheaths out of Kydex .080 and the form turned out pretty well. I used some of the foam from a craft store (the kind that's often diff colors and they make mats and childs letters ans such out of) and it doesn't last forever but does a decent job. I am good to go except for the rivets or eylets.

I was hoping to get a recommendation as to where to get either chicago screws or easy to use eyelet rivets for .080 kydex. 30-40 would be plenty I'm sure.

I already bought some chicago screws but they didn't screw down enough to clamp the kydex together and the eyelet rivets seem to smush up not make a neat rounded eyelet.

Thanks for your help :)

Back