Kydex-what's the deal?

jideta

Gold Member
Who invented this stuff and who decided it was good for knife sheaths?
Almost all my kydex sheaths end up scratching my blades!
I notice some oil them up.
Is that a given?
What's the deal with this plastic crap?
I suppose I never noticed before for I got kydex with all my RCK (really cheap knives) and I never really cared if they showed wear or not.
Now I get them with some handmade blades and WTF? they come to me all scratched up.
I toss these sheaths and put em in a shoe box.
Rant over.
I don't really want to know who invented it.

I’m with you there. Kydex can be great for concealed carry of a handgun, but I dislike and actively avoid it when it is used for knife sheaths.

it’s cheap, durable, and easily workable... So I guess it doesn’t surprise me that it’s become so popular for knife sheath material, but I really wish it would just go away.

Honestly, not a fan of it myself and will take leather or a nylon synthetic holder any day. People swear by it and it’s easy to work with but all the knives I’ve bought that come with it don’t get used. Feels cheap and I don’t trust it like so many do. I totally get it it’s just not for me and using it for a firearm just makes me cringe. :confused: Just my 2c

Not a fan of synthetics for sheaths, or for holsters. I know, if you're going to use a tool, it's going to get scratched, and show wear. Not a proponent of hastening the process unnecessarily. My biggest complaint with kydex is not the accelerated scratching, tho. It's the damn noise. NEVER seen a quiet kydex sheath. And I'd never recommend a kydex sheath to a military service member for just that reason. To be fair, I would make an exception for a diver/amphibious warfare soldier.

I won't jump fully onboard the anti-kydex train because I like it for some knives.
Leather is awesome... but it isn't the answer to everything. I despise keeper straps, and the carry options are generally limited to those provided for by the maker. There's also the matter of verdigris on brass bolsters & pins. And rust on that prized custom "damascus" dagger.

I've come to prefer inverted carry, and have yet to see that option in leather. (Remember, I despise keeper straps.) A well done kydex sheath offers superb retention with easy release; and can be configured for just about any carry option one desires.

As far as holsters, a well designed holster doesn't "scratch" or wear worse than leather. If you prefer one or the other thats great. Personally I like both depending. Kydex is way better for concealment, particularly iwb. Kydex is generally open at the bottom for holsters, so dirt and grit can fall away or be blown out. Holsters and sheaths out of kydex don't draw or hold moisture from water or sweat like leather does, which is great since its holding steel.

As for knife sheaths, I generally prefer leather, just because I do, no particular reason. I have had lots of kydex sheaths and for certain applications, like iwb carry, horizontal carry, etc they are great. Most of mine that had a kydex sheath had coated blades. The ones that didn't were users anyway. But I never noticed "scratching" particularly.

Now "plastic" molded sheaths and holsters suck. The only plastic molded sheath I ever found that was good was ESEEs sheath.

Never had a kydex holster crack, even from dropping, even in the cold. There are different thicknesses of kydex, and if you're using .80 thickness I can't even imagine it actually.

Horizontal kydex works fine if its designed right, but it better with soft loops (pull the dot). If you are using a clip to carry horizontally it would be better suited at 3 to 9 oclock towards your back.

I actually like carrying a 3-4" fixed blade IWB just behind the hip in a kydex sheath with ballistic loops (pull the dot). Its comfortable, out of the way even sitting, doesn't draw sweat, easy access and easy to resheath.

Certain blades I prefer leather on the belt, and have used pocket sheaths in leather as well.

I don't like shotguns or goldilocks caliber firearms, serrated of recurve edges suck on knives, vans of any type or maker are not for me and I never liked el caminos. Also, please quit wearing Hawaiian shirts. Black belts go with black leather sheaths and holsters, brown with brown. I don't care if you wear socks with sandals, but I don't.

Hey wait a minute, there's nothing wrong with Hawaiian Shirts. Of course I say that because I live in Hawaii. Although 90% of the time I wear t-shirts.

And here I thought only TOURISTS wore Hawaiian shirts in Hawaii!:D:D

I prefer leather sheaths and make my own, but there are some applications for kydex as mentioned. Guys like Dave Brown (Buy Brown) create some great looking and functioning kydex sheaths.;)

As far as holsters, a well designed holster doesn't "scratch" or wear worse than leather. If you prefer one or the other thats great. Personally I like both depending. Kydex is way better for concealment, particularly iwb. Kydex is generally open at the bottom for holsters, so dirt and grit can fall away or be blown out. Holsters and sheaths out of kydex don't draw or hold moisture from water or sweat like leather does, which is great since its holding steel.

As for knife sheaths, I generally prefer leather, just because I do, no particular reason. I have had lots of kydex sheaths and for certain applications, like iwb carry, horizontal carry, etc they are great. Most of mine that had a kydex sheath had coated blades. The ones that didn't were users anyway. But I never noticed "scratching" particularly.

Now "plastic" molded sheaths and holsters suck. The only plastic molded sheath I ever found that was good was ESEEs sheath.

Never had a kydex holster crack, even from dropping, even in the cold. There are different thicknesses of kydex, and if you're using .80 thickness I can't even imagine it actually.

Horizontal kydex works fine if its designed right, but it better with soft loops (pull the dot). If you are using a clip to carry horizontally it would be better suited at 3 to 9 oclock towards your back.

I actually like carrying a 3-4" fixed blade IWB just behind the hip in a kydex sheath with ballistic loops (pull the dot). Its comfortable, out of the way even sitting, doesn't draw sweat, easy access and easy to resheath.

Certain blades I prefer leather on the belt, and have used pocket sheaths in leather as well.

I don't like shotguns or goldilocks caliber firearms, serrated of recurve edges suck on knives, vans of any type or maker are not for me and I never liked el caminos. Also, please quit wearing Hawaiian shirts. Black belts go with black leather sheaths and holsters, brown with brown. I don't care if you wear socks with sandals, but I don't.

I prefer leather and horse leather is better than cow leather. My Glock does not worry about all that so-called moisture that leather is said to keep...I guess where you live plays a big part to that. Leather also feels more natural. I would never have a Kydex IWB holster. I have a OWB Kydex holster that I rarely wear. I prefer the leather shoulder harness.
I love shotguns, especially my Rem M887 Nitro-Mag Tactical! As you can see in my name, 000 buck is my favorite buckshot. I love vans, El Caminos, and Hawaiian shirts, though I never wear them. And I don't care about mixing black leather with brown - you won't see it anyway...

I like leather definitely. But I also appreciate how Azwelke kydex performs too. Easy to clean, tight, and slim.

Plus, that click when you re-sheath is fantastic.

Back