1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Off Topic Labor on Labor Day

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Horsewright, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
  2. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    I enjoyed the pictures and am always amazed where horses can climb. I can only imagine how bad that stuff y'all had to haul out smelled tho! Cool story and pics, glad there wasn't a murder investigation!

3. Jason Volkert

Jason Volkert KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 25, 2018
    @Horsewright That's crazy story. Good thing you have good friends to help.

4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks. Yeah me too. Kinda where our minds were going when we found the place. We did have a murderer camp out one night at our place a few years back. He'd knocked on the door of a cabin bout 10 miles across the mountains as the crow flies and shot the guy in the face with a .44 mag when he answered the door. Completely random. He was on the run for a couple weeks and finally killed by SWAT in a big shootout. He broke in to our partners old motorhome that he keeps on the ranch and took some bottled water, ammo and other little misc stuff.

5. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Yes indeed! Ranching world is full of good friends that more then bend over backwards.

6. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Glad you got that done safely. Agreed with other comments - how did those people getall that junk up there?

7. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya know they say meth makes ya superman for a little bit. Even then it was work over a period of time for sure and lots of folks. Four tents so maybe 6 -8 people?

8. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    ???? Not a Single MULE in the Remuda....Equine version of 4 wheel drive or 4 wheelers.

Ken H> likes this.
  9. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Nope not a mule dragger. Just never been my thang. I was there one time when one of my horsemanship mentors was asked what he thought about mules. He scratches his head for a bit and says: " I know God made horses, this I know. I'm not sure who made mules but I'm pretty sure it wasn't God." Another said a "mule is just like a horse only more so. If its good its more so and if its bad its MORE so."

Seriously though all my years ranching/cowboying I can only recall seeing one ridden on a ranch. Now professional packers...thats their niche, thats all ya see, the packer on a horse and all the pack animals mules.

10. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    My grandmother's family were mule raisers in the Ozarks of Missouri. She said her fathers quote was, "Mules are just as easy to handle as horses .... once you smack them hard enough on the head to get their attention."
    Grandma rode a mule to school and into town for supplies. She said she had never ridden a horse.

I had another old friend, Miss Agnes, born in 1899, who rode a mule bareback to school in Surry, VA and when she got home her job was to take it out to the field, change out the plow mule they had been using all day, and take the tired mule back to the barn, clean, water, and feed it. When telling me about her youth, she told me something that I had never thought of - when she was a girl, schools had a fenced in field with a big water trough where your horse or mule would graze while you were is school. There was a tack shed on the side of the school for your feed bag and saddles, etc.
    She and her husband had horses on the farm, which I rode when I visited almost every weekend to help out as Claude and Agnes aged. They figured they bought the horses before the war (WWII) and I rode them until they died in the late 60's. I still have one of the saddles, a couple of the mule collars, a pony cart, and some other tack, as well as other stuff from the farm. It's all around 100 years old.
    Miss Agnes was an amazing woman with a special bond with animals. She would talk to animals and they would seem to understand her. She could calm down any upset or injured animal in minutes. When she was in her 60's, I saw her go out to the pasture to get Papa, the stud bull, talk in his ear, grab his horns, and pull herself up on his back to ride him back to his pen. Papa must have weighed a good 2000 pounds. I would get in the pen with him for cleaning and feeding, but kept a wary eye on Papa. Miss Agnes would walk in, pat him on the rump and side, rub his ears, and hug him while talking in his ear before working in the pen.

Horsewright and jwccustom57 like this.
  11. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
    Any time I see a Horsewright thread you better believe I am going to click on it!

Horsewright likes this.
  12. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    True that they are a Beast of Burden and will out work most horses...Certainly up close they are a Handsome Mule where from a distance they are just an ugly Horse. On the ranch my Father had his favorite horses and a warm spot in his heart for "Elsa" the Jumping Mule. We only ever had a couple of mules for packing into the San Pedro Wilderness or into the Mogollon (High Gila) and Elsa was my dads 4 wheeler on those trips.

Horsewright likes this.