Laddered W's?

jdm61

itinerant metal pounder
I know what happens when you ladder "straight" W's. What happens if you ladder twisted ones?

That's a good question. I know doing a ladder on a corse twist makes a nice pattern. That's what did for the Damascus on this. I'm going to explore the ladder and twisting more once I get my "Mr. Twister" built.

Photo%20Feb%2016%2C%2012%2037%2035%20AM.jpg

I found one with twisted Ws. Not laddered.
I think my thought process at the time was that laddering would conflict with the twist.
There's already enough going on.
LpuNdnF.jpg

You get better results if you scallop deep grooves into it at a heavy angle, exposing the inside more than you'll get with most laddering dies. If you can find some really course rack gears, you can use that, but the more aggressive the better. Even still, it's not a pattern that blows me away.

You're mostly just looking to expose sections of the core twist change. Angle is important, because with a twist, much of your layering re-orients toward vertical. When laddering a typical lateral pattern, you're creating a depth variation by changing the concentration of the layers, when they're oriented on top of each other. In a twist much of what you accomplish is simply to upset certain layers into themselves, so the distortion is much less significant.

Back