Ladybug Questions

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
I'm about to get a Ladybug for the keychain so I won't always have to whip out a larger knife at work when I want to open a box or a letter.

And so I'm wondering...

Is the CF Ladybug that much better than the Zytel one? Am I right that the CF has ATS-55 and the Zytel is AUS-8? Also I'm curious as to how the two different handles hold up when constantly jangled against keys in your pocket?

Ladybug users???

------------------
Guyon
AKTI Member #A001044

"The hardest knife ill used doth lose his edge."
-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

I have a Zytel-handled Ladybug II (with sheepsfoot serrated blade). The Zytel versions have AUS-6 blades.

I carry mine on the keyring and no ill effects at all from being with the keys. I've even accidentally dropped my keys on the blacktop before and no damage to the knife. I don't know about the carbon fiber version, but I'm happy enough with the one I've got, and I don't worry too much if I ended up scratching the handle a little bit.
Jim

I have the CF version of the Ladybug, which does have ATS-55 steel. It's a gorgeous little knife.

I've had it on my keychain for 2-3 weeks now. When I first got it, I was afraid it'd get all scratched. So far there is only one mark on it, and it looks more like a pressure "dent", not a scratch. It's held up very well.

Great knife.

------------------

--Frank C.

I've had a Zytel Ladybug on my ring for a couple of years now. It's pretty tough; I've used it to pry, chip and even cut stuff with. I've only sharpened it once or twice. The handle is pretty scratched up and the blade spine has a couple of nicks in it but it still locks up tight.

Frank

The Ladybug is a true survival knife! It what a person is most likely to have on them when the chips are down. I have all three versions of the Ladybug and they are the most practical knives I own. I can always take out a Ladybug and not scare anybody, and as Sal Glesser said, the key chain gives the user extra purchase. The result is that one can cut as effeiciently with this knife as one could with a larger knife like the Calypso or Delica. I currently carry a CF Ladybug and the finish is very durable. The scratches are only minor. Check out SMKW, they have these on sale real cheap.

I've had the Sheepsfoot version on my keychain for a couple of years now and it is none the worse for wear. It has nary a scratch on it.
This is an amazing little knife in that it easily cuts like a knife twice it's size, IMO. I've used mine to cut 3/8-1/2" thick cardboard. It took a couple of passes, but the 'bug took it out and has performed much better than I expected when I first got it. It has also opened and processed more boxes than I can remember and still keeps cutting. I work in QA for a major retailer and a big part of my job is opening boxes for inspection and this knife has raised no eyebrows on my knife-phobic company because it is soooo small and, dare I say, Cute.
All in all, I think it's the one of the very best mini-knives you'll find out there.
This one, my missing Cricket and my Pegasus are all top notch small knives. I don't think anyone does small knives better than Spyderco.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

Thanks for all your responses and information. I decided to go with a CF Ladybug mainly because of the ATS-55. I'm sure I'll use this knife a lot, and this steel offers a little better edge retention. Also, I don't have any Spydercos with Carbon Fiber handles, and I think they look good. It should be here Friday or Saturday. I'll let you all know what I think after I carry it a few days. Thanks for the tip on SMKW, Anthony. I wound up ordering it there.

------------------
Guyon
AKTI Member #A001044

The Ladybug turns out to be a great little knife in my estimation. I've had mine on my keychain a couple of weeks, and I use it every day. I liked the Carbon Fiber so much that I put out an inquiry on the Knives Wanted board and managed to snag a CF Dragonfly in plain edge. My wife now has a zytel Ladybug (red of course), and she uses hers all the time too.

I recommend this knife to anyone who has daily, mundane cutting chores and doesn't want to shock others by whipping out a Military (or even a Standard).

------------------
Guyon
AKTI Member #A001044

Hey guys could you be a little more specific on the SMKW deal? I absolutely despise their worthless web site and it won't let me in now anyway. If you could provide a stock number and price I'd appreciate it. I've bought a G10 Standard and a pair of Rookies from them over the last couple of months and asked that they include a catalog with the shipment each time but so far no luck. The prices were great but its like pulling teeth trying to find out what they have and what the prices are. Back before the Internet I used to order from them all the time because they use to send me catalogs. Now if they don't want to waste money on mailing catalogs I understand but they ought to fix their @##$#&&*&^ website!

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

Back