Lady's Running Knife (looking for suggestions)

Have you guys ever seen one of these? It's a fanny pack made specifically for running. I have a different model, but you can pack what you want in it and it doesn't jostle around as you run. It will fit most folding knives in it.

19NIKUNKSLMWSTPCKGAF_Black_Black_Silver

My wife walks and she carries a ZT0770CF. It's super light, fires open like a rocket, and she love it.

Have you guys ever seen one of these? It's a fanny pack made specifically for running. I have a different model, but you can pack what you want in it and it doesn't jostle around as you run. It will fit most folding knives in it.

19NIKUNKSLMWSTPCKGAF_Black_Black_Silver

yeah I use a similar one, I can fit a phone, a knife and a lighter into it without having the horrible jostle. They work!

yeah I use a similar one, I can fit a phone, a knife and a lighter into it without having the horrible jostle. They work!
Same for me. The version I have has a back pocket for my wallet and knife,and keys and phone go on the outer facing pocket.

Hey all,
Looking for a suggestion for a lady's runners knife. My wife and I both run a lot on very rural roads and are often 5-7+ miles from home and she would like to have something for a worst case scenario (emergency self defense only). A local story from awhile back got her a bit worried and she wants to have an option beyond just a cell phone for when she runs alone.

Ideally looking for suggestions for a thin/light, brightly colored (lady's colors), stainless, onehanded opening knife with a strong clip. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
If it's for SD then I would ditch the knife idea and get her a small pink keychain canister of Pepper mace with the red dye in it. Way more effective without formal training. Just point, Spray, and run like hell screaming. IMHO A small knife in untrained hands is a recipe for disaster and could be used against her.

I havent read this entire thread but I'd figured I'd chime in from prac-tac.

I am sure someone has already mentioned a small fixed blade, like the Emerson or Perrin LaGriffe, The Hideaway Knife (still available) or something like a CKRT Minimalist or Spew. I would not reccomend a folding knife for emergency self defense at all. Too slow to get into play. Fumble fumble, etc. You are going to want something that you can get out under stress and as fast as possible. My wife carries a Emerson Lagriffe and feels she could possibly use it to defend against an attacker. Knives in general are poor stopper (great killers though)

I'd go with pepper spray and a kubaton.

Hey all,
Looking for a suggestion for a lady's runners knife. My wife and I both run a lot on very rural roads and are often 5-7+ miles from home and she would like to have something for a worst case scenario (emergency self defense only). A local story from awhile back got her a bit worried and she wants to have an option beyond just a cell phone for when she runs alone.

Ideally looking for suggestions for a thin/light, brightly colored (lady's colors), stainless, onehanded opening knife with a strong clip. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Do you have a budget range? Based on your parameters, the Cold Steel Voyager (4” blade) should serve your wife well, and it’s a decent defensive tool. It’s tough and inexpensive. Aus10a steel isn’t the most rust resistant steel on the market, but it shouldn’t rust as long as you keep it clean and dry. On the plus side, you can also use it for jobs in the house.

For a strictly defensive blade however, I would probably recommend a fixed blade over a folder. When stress kicks in, you can screw up one-handed deployment and drop your knife. It’s less taxing on motor skills to simply yank out a fixed blade from a sheath.

This isn’t my business anymore, but would it be possible to get legitimate firearms training and a sidearm? This is a very deep rabbit hole, but firearms are generally more effective defensive tools than knives. Knife fights are always messy and usually not in your favor.

I am sure someone has already mentioned a small fixed blade, like the Emerson or Perrin LaGriffe, The Hideaway Knife (still available) or something like a CKRT Minimalist or Spew. I would not reccomend a folding knife for emergency self defense at all. Too slow to get into play. Fumble fumble, etc. You are going to want something that you can get out under stress and as fast as possible. My wife carries a Emerson Lagriffe and feels she could possibly use it to defend against an attacker. Knives in general are poor stopper (great killers though)

Pepper spray and any sort of blunt implement (kubaton, baton, any sturdy stick) are good non-lethal options as well. A LOT of law-abiding decent people will hesitate before using a knife on another human being. Criminals will not. However, most folks shouldn’t have any problems spraying some thug in the face.

The best defense is still avoidance however. Don’t run in bad neighborhoods. If she can bring you or a couple of friends when running, all the better.

:eek: Either of these would do fine . The Cold Steel is a far better SD knife , but the Spyderco is much lighter and more rust proof . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:) Black Talon 2 fully serrated, according to Cold Steel , weighs just 4.8 ounces . That's not very heavy if you have a serious need for an SD knife . :p

Oh, my Dad bought a La Griffe couple of years ago haha. Honestly, I’m not confident betting my life on it. It’s too small and I don’t think it will deter a drugged up hostile. Wouldn’t wanna get tagged by it though, sure.

:) Your speed of deployment is mostly about your level of training and preparedness .

A folding knife can be just as fast as anything else . Especially a "wave " type opener .

Practice , practice , practice ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Without any added rhetoric, 2 cents, or peanuts from the gallery, she wants a nice running knife, I say get her one

LionSteel TRE;
blade a tad under 3",
handle a hair under 0.5" thick,
Less then 2.5oz,
m390 (corrosion/sweat resistence),
Plus it's a flipper on ikbs bearings so should snap open with relative ease,
and best of all, it's available in Pink!

Probably the best all around option available to check all the boxes; not too big, thick, or heavy for running, but still big and sturdy enough, with fast easy deployment in a worst case scenario.

A tad bit on the pricey side though, so just make sure she knows not to lose it while running...

Spyderco civilian

Or if thats too heavy, a spyderco matriarch. Reverse S curved fully serrated under 3" blade with lightweight handle, comes in at 2.5 ounces total

I'd be cautious to fight your wife wielding either

In my silly one cent opinion - any small, medium knife is not enough !!!
If your wife (anybody wife, mother, sister, any female) is going to confront rapist or killer
with funny piece of bright metal without any serious skills in hand to hand combat -
she lost already.
Sorry.
9mm and UP or Paul Hogan back pocket knife may help ...
But MAY only.

FYI the OP already ordered a Spyderco Salt.
Well, I hope she'll never need it.
It's still better than nothing, but far from the best self defense option.

I know everyone likes to suggest knives they like, but in reality, this isn't a great self defense choice because:
1. It's a folder
2. The tip isn't really the best for the application (I'd go with tanto or spear point)
3. Knives aren't best self defense options in general, I personally carry a pepper spray for that purpose while knife is being mainly utility tool

Well, I hope she'll never need it.
It's still better than nothing, but far from the best self defense option.

I know everyone likes to suggest knives they like, but in reality, this isn't a great self defense choice because:
1. It's a folder
2. The tip isn't really the best for the application (I'd go with tanto or spear point)
3. Knives aren't best self defense options in general, I personally carry a pepper spray for that purpose while knife is being mainly utility tool

While I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, the original post spelled out features they were looking for. They ended up with the knife that fit those parameters.

And I agree, I hope they never need it for the role of self defense.

Back