Lady's Running Knife (looking for suggestions)

Seriously though, I’m no knife fighter nor do I pretend to be but if I’m ever in the unfortunate position where I do need to use one to defend my life odds are it won’t be with a hawkbill, kerambit, clinch or the like as those styles do benefit from some modicum of formal training to use most effectively.

my friend, PEPPER SPRAY, nobody wins in a knife fight/altercation
I said the same thing lol

Spray and run

Using a knife to stab someone to death up close takes a level of brutality I'm not sure just anybody can handle

craytab craytab (Quote)
"The tasman might seem like a good idea but the hawkbill really limits you to draw and slashing cuts."
-I am disagreeing with with your assumption that a hawkbill cannot be used effectively as a stabbing weapon, which it can, and does not limit you to draw & slash cuts.
Hard to shank with a hawkbill
Once the tip makes contact, the thrust behind it will penetrate.
Again, training with whatever one decides to use/carry, etc is important.
B.T.B

craytab craytab (Quote)
"The tasman might seem like a good idea but the hawkbill really limits you to draw and slashing cuts."
-I am disagreeing with with your assumption that a hawkbill cannot be used effectively as a stabbing weapon, which it can, and does not limit you to draw & slash cuts.

Once the tip makes contact, the thrust behind it will penetrate.
Again, training with whatever one decides to use/carry, etc is important.
B.T.B
While I do agree with all of your points, it sounds to me that this is for a person that does not and will not have training with the weapon. It sounds to me like I poke em to get away type of situation.

People with zero training are very effective at stabbing people with the standard pointy objects we find in life, knives being a top choice. Happens every day all over the world throughout human history. Bring to mind the phrase "stick em with the pointy end". Sometimes, simple is best.

A little Roger LCP .380 ACP with a clipdraw is what she needs. It only weighs 9oz. I always carried the Keltec version running and walking and one day it saved me.

Hey all,
Looking for a suggestion for a lady's runners knife. My wife and I both run a lot on very rural roads and are often 5-7+ miles from home and she would like to have something for a worst case scenario (emergency self defense only). A local story from awhile back got her a bit worried and she wants to have an option beyond just a cell phone for when she runs alone.

Ideally looking for suggestions for a thin/light, brightly colored (lady's colors), stainless, onehanded opening knife with a strong clip. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Microtech UTX 85 or 70. Nothing better for a lady runner to defend herself. Just the way the blade breaks out is intimidating. Perfect size. Great knives to boot. The bright green with red splashes is lively. Training for it is also a great work out (Krav Maga).

Last edited:
Add me to the list of those who do not advocate a knife as a self-defense tool. That said, I’m sure as hell not carrying a gun when I’m running 10K+. Strolling around, sure. Running...that’s a big nope.

I used to only carry a phone, but on one occasion last year I really needed a knife (to cut something, not to stab anyone). I tried several options, the vast majority of which I found completely unsatisfactory. I finally settled on a Spyderco Dragonfly clipped to the waistband of my shorts. The clip holds very securely, and anything bigger flops around too much and annoys me.

Add me to the list of those who do not advocate a knife as a self-defense tool. That said, I’m sure as hell not carrying a gun when I’m running 10K+. Strolling around, sure. Running...that’s a big nope.

I used to only carry a phone, but on one occasion last year I really needed a knife (to cut something, not to stab anyone). I tried several options, the vast majority of which I found completely unsatisfactory. I finally settled on a Spyderco Dragonfly clipped to the waistband of my shorts. The clip holds very securely, and anything bigger flops around too much and annoys me.
I got stung by a bee while on a run and was really glad to have a knife on me so I could easily scrape the stinger out.

A Sabre pepper spray with a clip for the running shorts and a Delica.

And always a phone.

Back