Laminated sheaths

Makael

Loving wife, kids and life.
Gold Member
I've picked up some large thin leather over the last couple years. By itself will not work for sheath making. I've been laminating using cement on 100 percent of all surfaces then running a stitch around every edge. A pain in the rear but getting more use of some of this thin leather I want to use up.
Makes some interesting edges.
20180429_004205.jpg 20180429_004017.jpg 20180428_161946.jpg 20180429_004358.jpg 20180417_013409.jpg 20180416_194720.jpg

On my screen pictures show up. Does everyone see my pictures? I post them from my phone.

Ok good. I had a member let me know he didnt any pics but he was on his phone. Thank you for letting me know.

I see them, they look really nice. The multi layered edge really adds something. Has it’s own pattern and colors going on.

Top grain-Split (1).jpg In theory, and logically, laminated leather should be much stronger than single ply because you have two layers of the grain instead of one, and the grain layer is the strongest part of the leather by far. Also the benefit of automatic self lining. It's a win/win. I practice this with every sheath when I line each one with top grain leather.

Paul

Last edited:
In theory, and logically, laminated leather should be much stronger than single ply because you have two layers of the grain instead of one, and the grain layer is the strongest part of the leather by far. Also the benefit of automatic self lining. It's a win/win. I practice this with every sheath when I line each one with top grain leather.

Paul
It sure makes a nicely finished product. Especially the inside. More hassle with all of the cement but I believe it's worth it. Added benefit of using thinner leather for heavier duty use.

Their might be some waterproofing benefits. I haven't tested it but maybe there is some. I cover both surfaces 100 percent. Then roll out any lumps or air pockets.

Back