Lamsonsharp blade identification

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I bought this at Goodwill today for a buck,but I don't exactly know what it is for sure.
I know how I'm going to use it , but I'd like to know what they called this thing which they don't seem to produce today.
It's almost like an ulu which they produce today, but obviously not the same thing.

If anyone knows I'd sure appreciate it.

Lamson model 34250 bowl chopper. https://www.knifecenter.com/item/LA34250/lamson-sharp-usa-pro-maple-bowl-chopper

Use it with a wooden bowl or wooden cutting board with a bowl shaped indentation.

It is used for chopping/mincing herbs and veggies.

Also called a Mezzaluna. http://www.chefdepot.net/mezzaluna.htm

Mezzalunas come in single or multiple blade versions, with one handle like that one, or two handles.

Thanks.

I won't be using it with a bowl or anything, but at least now I know how it's meant to be used.

I've tried to find myself a use for this thing, but I don't do a lot of garnish chopping so this mezzaluna is going to my grandmother.
I asked her if she wanted it, and after seeing the picture I sent her she knew exactly what it was and definitely wants it.
I guess it was worth the $1.

Some relatives from Italy were visiting and watched my father prepare dinner .One asked where's your mezzaluna ? He didn't have one !! How can you cook without a mezzaluna [ halfmoon ] ? The fact is that the chef's knife has a curved blade so you hold the knife with your off hand near the tip and the blade is rocked back and forth. As efficient as the mezzaluna ! I have never owned a mezzaluna .
The ulu is the "woman's" knife of the Eskimo .They use it for various jobs , such as skinning , etc .

I can see where it would come in very handy if you chop/mince a lot of herbs or garlic. I prefer a flatter-profile chef's knife and dislike rock-chopping if I can avoid it. And when you are done, you have to scrape the finely minced product off of the board into a bowl. Not a huge burden, but it would be cool to have it already in a bowl. Always a tradeoff, with specialty tools, of how often / how much you do it, versus the cost of the tool and having to store it.

A $1 mezzaluna, if you already have a wooden bowl to use it with, seems like a good bargain. Get that fresh parsley out and go to town.

I can see where it would come in very handy if you chop/mince a lot of herbs or garlic. I prefer a flatter-profile chef's knife and dislike rock-chopping if I can avoid it. And when you are done, you have to scrape the finely minced product off of the board into a bowl. Not a huge burden, but it would be cool to have it already in a bowl. Always a tradeoff, with specialty tools, of how often / how much you do it, versus the cost of the tool and having to store it.

A $1 mezzaluna, if you already have a wooden bowl to use it with, seems like a good bargain. Get that fresh parsley out and go to town.

It will definitely come in handy for my grandmother.

Back