Lanyard tying

I was going to post this in another thread, but decided it might be better here, so we get more responses. We were talking about paracord for lanyards, and I was starting to ramble about my recent lanyard "endeavors," but didn't want to take over the thread...so, here it is:

Well, since I'm just experimenting with lanyards, I don't have lots of advice. I was mostly going to say that I've had the most success doing a hangmans noose. The only issue I've found with that, is that it lets the load end of the cord (the one that you adjust the loop with) move very easily..almost too easy.

I've been trying to figure out how to correct this, or adjust so that it doesn't slide so easily. My first thought is not to use paracord, actually...its a little more slippery than standard cord/webbing...the kind you would take with you while rock climbing. This webbing (of which I used 4mm diameter) is a little more expensive, but seems to bite a little better, and having more friction, doesn't slide around as much.

I'm working my way through a book of knots, hitches, etc, trying to find a better knot for making lanyards. What I've found so far, is that there is a knot similar to a hangmans noose which may work out better...I'm trying to find a site online (I know its out there) that has this. Other things I'm going to experiment with are a sort of bowline, and a couple of fishing knots...

If anyone else has a site, or good lanyard ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Yeah, i do that...thats what I call a hangmans noose :p ...the only thing i thought may help it, looking at pics, was that:

In step 2, you bring the working end up and over the bottom (load) end of the rope, then proceed to wrap the cord just as the rest of it says, just in
the opposite direction. This seems to give a little more friction on the load line, so the line slips less. Still can be adjusted easily, just won't slide around on its own as much...at least not that I've seen yet.

I have tied this knot using both paracord and rawhide. The rawhide tightens up real nice and doesn't move. I you are worried about it moving try the rawhide. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• lanyard.jpg
    lanyard.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 806
That does look nice with the rawhide. I need to go get some of that. I've been wanting to use it for lanyards, and to get something to try making sheaths with...maybe I'll look around for that.

If you want to send that lanyard and knife to me for me to inspect it even further...all in the name of education, eh? :D :p :D

Man... that is tight KVC135. I use rawhide on my Wood Inlay Sebenza, too. It just classes up the knife a bit, don't you think? I really like the look. But let me tell you, you must have some magic fingers to get the knot that tight. It took me a while and I have mine looking pretty good. But yours is looking sweet -- my compliment.

Blackwatch -- The secret I think is to hold it all together and wrap the cord around very tight. Then you a a very small loop to stick the non-load end of the lanyard through and then keep working the knot until it is very tight all around. It does work better with the rawhide, but you can get it tight with cord. You just have to keep pulling the non-load end and working the knot.

Good luck...JT

If I had the same problem (fear) with the Hangmans knot on my Seb.
that your talking about my fix was pretty simple. After you tie
the knot take the "free" end, and Tie a "Half Bend"
(the simple around, and through knot) around the "non-free end"
If you match the way you tie the Half Bend with the end of the
Hangmans it works out real well, I can't explain that last
part to well, but It basicly means where the end of the Hangmans
gos back in to the "loop" the Half Bends first loop starts.

but I just got tired of the Hangman, So I modified the knot
used on Hemp. But I'll have to use picture for this.
(I'm posting only links so this page won't take for ever)

Atrick-Pay's Modified Hemp Lanyard:
Here is a picture for the final:
http://home.swbell.net/philfin/lay1.jpg
It twist around it's self, and it AWESOME for pulling the knife.

Pic2: (The two little "//" is the "rope" going through the knife)
http://home.swbell.net/philfin/lay2.jpg
Pull the "rope" through the // so it's equal on both sides, now
make a loop on one side of the // (I "re-equalize" the ends of
the "rope" by makeing the top of the loop almost the
"center" of the "rope", so that the one on the right is longer
then the one on the left by the lenth of the loop) On a Seb.
I found the loop should be 1 1/2".

Pic3: http://home.swbell.net/philfin/lay3.jpg
Now without changeing the size or location (on the "rope") of the
"loop" you tie this knot around it, and pull it TIGHT!
Pull the "loop" so the knot is TIGHTLY pulled to the "//".

Pic4: (The "circle" is the knot from "pic3")
http://home.swbell.net/philfin/lay4.jpg
Now you tie "Modified Half Bends" around the "Loop",
If you tie each one of these knots the same way it will
slowly "twist" the knot around, if you put the "right side"
on top, and next time put "left side" on top it will some out
"flat(ish)". Keep makeing these knot till your almost out of
"rope", if you made the "loop" the right size, and "Re-Equalize"
the ends then you should run out of all the "rope" at once
(Plus alittle on the "loop")

Finally: No-Pic
Now stick both ends through the "loop" (Each coming in from
a different side [I.E. they pass eachother in the "loop"])
Now pull the whole knot away from the "//" (knife) the "loop"
should tighten around the ends, and open up a little around
the "//" (knife) so it can move.

The knot isn't easy to adjust on the knife end at all!!
but it can be pretty easy to un-tie (depends on how you tied it
on the "Pic4" part) Just pull the ends out of the "loop", and
pull the end of the "loop" at the "//" end (See Pic2 and Pic3)
the loop comes out the middle of the knot.

If someone can follow these, and gets one made please Post, or
e-mail, So I know it made since to some one. :)

Edited: for Spelling, and Spaceing

See if you can follow this. It is too complicated to explain. Just make sure you alternate which side you are looping into and the lanyatd will lay flat, if you keep looping the same side it will form a spiral pattern (which is pretty cool also).

Attachments

• dragon tail.jpg
    dragon tail.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 586
That is SWEET man.

I'm just wondering why would a lanyard would have two open ends instead of a loop? I thought lanyards are meant to loop onto your hand so that you won't completely drop your knife/tool to the ground and loose it.

Any suggestions for tying lanyards with “flat” cord? I just cord-wrapped the handle on an EKI LaGriffe using some paracord from which I had removed the “innards” and now I have two long trailing ends that I’d like to braid into an abbreviated fob. Normally I’d use a hangman’s noose, but the eviscerated paracord doesn’t seem to have sufficient structural integrity to support this kind of knot…without the central fibers, the cord tends to collapse and lie flat. Any ideas would be most appreciated…

Jim

Ugly Jim,

Try sliding on a bead or two and then knotting it up. I used a pair of pliers to pull the cord tight. I then melted the ends.

Attachments

• griffe wrap.jpg
    griffe wrap.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 422
Thanks, Ken! That sounds like the way I need to go...now I just have to track down some beads (you know I just love hanging around artsy-craftsy stores ;)). Hopefully I won't have to bother you with any more stupid Griffe questions...

I know this has got to be a stupid question, but
what is the use of a lanyard?

Shrubba

Lanyards can have many uses...at least 3 come to mind right off...this answers another prior question, too.

First (the loop lanyard). This is just a large loop off the lanyard ring/hole that you can put your hand through. This loop helps to keep the knife on your person. If you were to loose your grip on the handle, the loop would prevent it from flying wildly across the yard and maiming your favorite pink flamingo.:p

Second(either). Used to help draw the knife from a sheath, or from a pocket, depending on the knife. Some sheaths leave so little handle out, the extra purchase makes a much safer draw, and quicker too.

Third (noose style). If you need a little extra chopping power, you can choke back on the handle of the knife, to create more velocity at the point of impact. By having a lanyard, you have more to grab onto, and hold tight, while choking back. Therefor, safer to "swing away" at the branch, without further dismembering previously mentioned flamingo.

There are, I'm sure, more reasons for lanyards...sometimes they just look knice.

I'm sure others will expand upon my ramblings, but I hope I've helped a bit.

Lanyards are great for knives you may have to use around sheeple. In there mind, a knife with a lanyard looks more like a utility tool than a weapon.

Ah ha...
Thanks for the info...
I'm going to try my hand at making some lanyards... I can do a number of brades/wraps already... so this should be fun :)

Shrubba

KVC135-

I've been experimenting with the pic you posted.....am wondering how you terminate the ends once there isnt enough left to 'loop'

Any neat loop lanyard knots?
I'm just using a simple bowlines currently.

Back