Lanyard using Paracord with Diamond Knots and whipping thread

Thanks guys the whipping part, while you can utilize one of the inside threads from the paracord, I found that to be super slippery and harder to do, plus then you have a section of paracord missing a line. I added this note up in the previous post but will put it here for quicker reference regarding thread that I use to whip the paracord together with;

Black thread at Tandy
G2

I use purpose made "Whipping Twine" as sold by boat places (I'm a boat person). The stuff made by English Braids is about the right diameter for this sort of job, but doubtless in the US you'll get similar from Samson or NE Ropes. Marine whipping twine is waxed which makes it lock up really tightly.

You're welcome guys and aesmith that's a good idea there as my thread isn't waxy and I can see how that would greatly aid in keeping it in place as you whip the cords together, I'll have to check into that! The roll I have right now was bought in error, as I was out of town and stopped into a Tandy Leather shop and was handed that for sewing, must be ok for some, but it is too narrow a thread for my sheaths at least, I was glad to see I could repurpose it for this use ;)
G2

edited to add in a new one done yesterday for my new Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter folder, nice knife to btw

CS_UH_open.jpg~original

Just want to add one more idea in making this, as you go to form a loop to the right side piece of paracord, give the line a twist first in the opposite direction, that way it will straighten out once you have the knot done, otherwise it makes it twists and isn't as straight, which would still work ok, just annoys my OCD a bit ;)

G2

You're welcome Phil, I just added a note about the whipping, after you get a few wraps, pull the one cord to tighten up the start of the whipping, it'll bring it altogether better when done.
G2

Got some pretty cool celtic beads in today, I had hoped they'd be large enough diameter wise to use in place of the first knot, but they are just a tad small but they are just right to act as what I call a cincher, probably a better or more appropriate name, but you get the idea. I also put one on my hat to cinch up to my chin when the wind is blowing, works great for that too.

so on this lanyard, you first see the black thread that whips the two strands of paracord together, this prevents the lanyard from being able to swing around and into the path of the knife, then there is the first diamond knot to be used to hook with your fingers to draw the knife out of the pocket, then the bead to act as a cincher if you need it to and finally the ending diamond knot.

bead_cincher by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

paracord_cincher by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Quite handy for that, just fits two pieces of paracord through with just a bit of retention.

G2

edited to add that I've since changed out the full lanyard to a Bobtailed fob with the Celtic bead sandwiched between to diamond knots;

Triage_Bw by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love a good diamond knot, or lanyard knot as it was called when I learned it. I don't remember how to tie them now, but I used them a lot on machete lanyards in the yard, while the kids were out there with me. Can't afford to loose one when they're out there.

Why didn't I find this sooner. Thanks for taking the time Gary. Now if you would just send me that Horsewright knife you're sporting in another thread, so I can try out the lanyard style....you know, just to see if I like it before I make a million of them. [emoji56]

But, you're just a short drive from Dave's place, take a zip over and visit him, tell him G2 sent you and you'd like to look at one of his Coyote knives :)
I'd love to visit there myself!
G2

Here's is a short video I made showing how I tighten up the diamond knot and then how I cut and finish off the end so it's flush with the knot.

G2

Last edited:
Thank you Gary, here is my Opinel No.10 and its new lanyard made following your tutorial, the brass piece is a 9mm. shell.. hope you like it..

2vih288.jpg

Very cool and those knives cut so well to !!!

Thanks for the image there, and welcome to the forum!
G2

Here's some in the pocket shots, various ways you can utilize this style of lanyard;

Just hanging out, I tend to wrap it around my belt to keep it a more lower profile while walking around.

Lanyard_clip by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Lightly wrapped around the belt. Keeps it handy yet out of the way.

Lanyard_wrapped by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

In some situations you don't want a clip showing, you can wrap the lanyard around your belt/belt loop and let the knife hang into your pocket, it will not feel heavy in your pocket since it is suspended by the lanyard.

Lanyard_belt by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

or those that don't want to loop around the belt can use a belt loop, this adds protection if you are being active to the point something might fall out of your pocket, or if you are in a high traffic area and worry someone might try to snag your knife.

Lanyard_beltloop by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
Gary, nice thread. I do a little braiding and one thing I like to do on cut and melted edges is take a matching sharpie and color the white core.
Jason

Thanks Jason, that's a great idea, I'll give that a try out!
G2

Nice is that crimped on to it?
G2

Back